IGNORED

PGA tour golfer regular week?

Travis Robinson
Note: This thread is 4561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Apparently, this was a typical "Tiger Day" during the Haney years. I'm sure he did about the same under Butch Harmon. I heard nowadays he's getting in 45 holes per day plus practice. It's no wonder his body is falling apart, but goodness gracious, this guy loves golf:

6 a.m. Wakeup
6:30 – 8 Workout/weights
9 – 11 Hit balls on practice tee
11-11:30 Practice putting
11:30-12:30 Play nine holes
12:30-1 Lunch
1-3 Practice tee
3-4 Short game practice
4-5 Play nine holes
5-5:30 Hit more balls
5:30-6 p.m. Practice putting

How he fit in family time plus mistress time plus business/sponsorship/charity related meetings into all this we'll never really know

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I´m pretty sure that practice schedule is overhyped. There is no way to not get a burned out after a couple weeks of that. Studies have shown that 5 hours of practicing with full concentration is the absolute max a person can do with plenty of breaks and anything more than that is counterproductive. Most normal people even struggle with focusing on a single task for one hour let alone five.

I read an article about Tom Lewis and his daily schedule from Mon-Friday was practicing putting, short game and hitting balls for one hour each and then playing 9 holes.

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Apparently, this was a typical "Tiger Day" during the Haney years. I'm sure he did about the same under Butch Harmon. I heard nowadays he's getting in 45 holes per day plus practice. It's no wonder his body is falling apart, but goodness gracious, this guy loves golf:

6 a.m. Wakeup

6:30 – 8 Workout/weights

9 – 11 Hit balls on practice tee

11-11:30 Practice putting

11:30-12:30 Play nine holes

12:30-1 Lunch

1-3 Practice tee

3-4 Short game practice

4-5 Play nine holes

5-5:30 Hit more balls

5:30-6 p.m. Practice putting

How he fit in family time plus mistress time plus business/sponsorship/charity related meetings into all this we'll never really know

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

You've obviously never seen a South Korean girl practice. It's almost literally from dawn until dusk. Not every pro does, but many put in crazy hours out there.

The Tiger Day doesn't happen seven days a week though, I'm pretty sure of that.

Constantine

Yes, I´ve seen plenty of them practice. However many of them have no idea how to practice and just engage in mindless practice which is a complete waste of time. The other day I witnessed some Korean girl hit the same exact straight forward chip shot from the same place for 2 hours straight while her ambitious father yelled at her everytime she hit a bad chip. There is a difference between practicing with deliberate focus and mindless practice. If you practice with your mind (doing specific drills, making slow motions swing while being completely engaged in the movement etc...) after an hour even the most dedicated individuals will be completely mentally drained. If all you do is practice with your hands you might as well go to the clubhouse and get drunk which is equally effective.

You've obviously never seen a South Korean girl practice. It's from dawn until dusk. Not every pro does, but many put in crazy hours out there.

Golf is a game in which the ball always lies poorly and the player always lies well.

Originally Posted by LongballGer

Yes, I´ve seen plenty of them practice. However many of them have no idea how to practice and just engage in mindless practice which is a complete waste of time. The other day I witnessed some Korean girl hit the same exact straight forward chip shot from the same place for 2 hours straight while her ambitious father yelled at her everytime she hit a bad chip. There is a difference between practicing with deliberate focus and mindless practice. If you practice with your mind (doing specific drills, making slow motions swing while being completely engaged in the movement etc...) after an hour even the most dedicated individuals will be completely mentally drained. If all you do is practice with your hands you might as well go to the clubhouse and get drunk which is equally effective.

Quote:

You've obviously never seen a South Korean girl practice. It's from dawn until dusk. Not every pro does, but many put in crazy hours out there.

Well, that's your opinion, and of course, you could be right that this is not the best method. But the fact remains, they are out there religiously practicing. Many don't get "burned out after two weeks" either. They just keep on truckin.

Constantine

Yeah I believe it's about making the practice meaningful, not just mindless repetition.  I've got an indoor driving range and it's so easy to hit a ball and tee it up to hit again.

I'm really working hard to visualize shots, go through pre shot routines, pretend I'm on the course, work on something in my swing rather than just swing away without progressing.

Note: This thread is 4561 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!