IGNORED

Buying a new driver...here's my final 4

wtd
Note: This thread is 6216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm going to be buying a new driver in the coming weeks. I hit a bunch during a recent demo day weekend, and have narrowed the field to the following four (in no particular order):

Cleveland HiBore XL Tour - Odd looking, but straight. The non-tour model sets up too closed for my tastes

TaylorMade SuperQuad - great looking, nice feel, nice sound

TaylorMade Burner - Light (not always a good thing) and long. The face feels hot on impact.

Titleist 907D1 - Kinda funny looking, but still sounds and feels like a Titleist.

As a remote possibility...
Titleist 907D2 - Love the traditional look, but realistically, I probably need a more forgiving club.

Distance and accuracy are more of a concern right now for me than workability. My best shots are generally a mix of dead straight and power fades, with my worst being a mix of tree-knockers and trout molesters). Anything to help turn the fade into a draw would be nice, but my main concern is hitting fairways.

Does anyone own (or at least tried some/all of the drivers on my list). Any thoughts you can share? The final decision will be a mix of what I like the best vs. the extra cost associated with putting right shaft in the club (been told NV, VS Proto, or Proforce V2 might work - only the launch monitor will say for sure). Titleist is generally less expensive with respect to shaft upgrades, with is a huge plus.

I tried both new Callaway clubs, and the new Nike drivers as well, but... Callaway is priced too high (not sure I could get used to the look of the FT-i anyway), and the Nikes look and sound horrible.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

I recently got the R7 Superquad. I didn't get a chance to demo too many clubs since my wife suprised me with it for my birthday. But I had tried last years hibore and the SQ sumo. I absolutely love the Superquad. Last year I was playing with the Nike SQ tour. I hit it alright. I could work the ball and my misses were always a push fade, so I could play with that. Since getting the Superquad though, I am hitting a dice little draw consistantly and my misses are straight! Straight is usually a good place to "miss". I have mine set up for a low trajectory and slight draw, (it's windy here). But when I was recently playing on a course that required a few more fades off the tees, I just set it up for the high neutral bias. That's the beauty of this club. You can set it up for your swing and change it based on the conditions. What more could you ask for?

BTW I gained about 10 yards over my Nike SQ.

In The Bag

Driver R7 SuperQuad 8.5 Xstiff
5 Wd SQ X stiff steel
3-PW RAC LT X stiff 52 dg RAC TP Satin56 dg RAC TP Satin60 dg Vokey Oil CanPutter Cameron Studio Newport

I'm going to be buying a new driver in the coming weeks. I hit a bunch during a recent demo day weekend, and have narrowed the field to the following four (in no particular order):

Yeh, I've hit all of them. I'd say to go with any of the first 3. The only thing that matters is...which one did YOU hit the farthest, most accurate, and most consistent? If you say they were all about the same, then go... eenie meenie miney moe catch a rabbit by the toe....

From one higher handicapper to another...go with the Taylor Made. Can you say forgiving? Awesome club all around. Not my first either. Don't have the Super Quad just cuz I hit it just like my R7 460, and can't justify the $400 just for that better sound it makes. I always drive the ball with a slight fade, and my misses are usually dead straight. I am sooo happy with TM R7 and if a break this one I'll prolly get another.

In My Bag:
Driver: R9 TP 9.5°
Hybrids: Idea Pro, 16°, 20°, VS Proto
Irons: TP MB 4-P
Wedges: Vokey SM 50.08 54°, 60°Putter: NP2

Well all I can say is that if you are not going to move the weights around the TM SQ is a waste of money, now if that is the one you hit the best then by all means go for it.

Is there something wrong with your current driver? Are you looking for a more forgiving driver? How many strokes does your current driver by itself cost you each round?

Personally, from a person who does fight a draw, I would be happy with a power fade. There are not many successfull pros who play with a draw, it's much harder to control then a fade. If your misses are straights now and you want a draw, your misses will be come hooks. Draw misses turn into more trouble because they roll into trouble, fades misses don't tent to be as penal because they land softer and don't roll as much.

My current driver is a Titleist 905T. I'd like to jump to a 460cc head, with a little bit more forgiveness. I'm also going to get a bit more detailed with the shaft filtting than last time. The NV 65 has suited me fairly well, but I'm thinking a heavier shaft might help (fast tempo, not always well controlled), and occassionally the NV balloons a bit on me.

My Website: Qwowi Golf

In my Atlas Bag:
Driver: R7 SuperQuad 9.5° VS Proto 65-S
3+ Wood: G10 4 Wood: G10 Hybrid: 585H VS Proto 80-SIrons: X-20 Tour 5-PWGap Wedge: Vokey 200 Series 52°Sand Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 56°Lob Wedge: Vokey Spin Milled 60°Putter: Bettinardi BC1

• Administrator

My only word of advice: don't listen to anyone on a forum. You've done the research you needed to do and narrowed it down to 4 or 5 clubs. Keep going and pick one.

The Titleist models are available with a lot of shaft options. Demo days will be your friend. Since none of us have seen you swing... don't listen to what we have to say. That's MY advice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Really good advice Erik!

The best club for anyone is the one that feels good in their hands, looks good to their eye (which I believe inspires confidence) and most importantly that they hit well.

What anyone else thinks about that club is kind of irrelevant. It's nice to get opinions and read reviews to get an idea of what's out there and what is a good bet to try, but in the end it's what you hit the best that counts.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

Really good advice Erik!

I also have to add the sound of impact is important to me personally, that is why I chose the SuperQuad and HiBore XL. In the end, it really is a matter of the individual's taste. The only thing I would ever recommend is get properly fitted for your swing...An hour of fitting by someone who knows what they are talking about can save you some money in the long run...Good luck.

Da Bag:

TM Super Quad R7 (w/Stulz stiff shaft)
TM CGB R7 4-PW (steel)
Cleveland Halo 1i, 3i, 5i (steel)Cleveland CG10 SW, GWHeavy Putter A1MTitliest ProV1xTitliest Tour BagClub Glove head coversFootjoy Classic Dry Premier

Note: This thread is 6216 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!