IGNORED

Third wedge for high handicapper

Kobey
Note: This thread is 4508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Enough, guys. Stick to the topic or stop.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WWBDD

Personally, I would swap out the chipper for a bottle of single malt ... but maybe that's just me.

AMEN!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Id go with a 54 or a 56 degree.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I agree, this season I'll be switching out my 52,56,60 wedges for a 54 and 58.  I only hit my driver 240 average so I'm adding my 4i back in the bag and going with lower lofted hybrids to increase my GIR.

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Id go with a 54 or a 56 degree.

Joe Paradiso

Foot wedge. You'll lose some distance but gain a lot of confidence standing over the ball.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Given that your PW is a higher loft than a "traditional" PW at 47-48* I would actually go a bit up to make sure you don't have such a large gap from PW to your wedges.

I originally got a 52-56-60 because that's what many say you should get when you're starting out.  I too also quickly checked my ego at the door and realized I couldn't hit a 60*.

I also didn't want a large gap in the wedges so I have switched out to a 52, 54 and 58 set of wedges.  Also, my PW was switched out from my stock Nike VR split cavity wedge to a Vokey 48, bent to 47*.  I also still keep the 56* since I do think that it is the most versatile of the wedges and will swap it out with the 54 or 58 depending on the course layout and playing conditions.

Originally Posted by mak52580

Given that your PW is a higher loft than a "traditional" PW at 47-48* I would actually go a bit up to make sure you don't have such a large gap from PW to your wedges.

I originally got a 52-56-60 because that's what many say you should get when you're starting out.  I too also quickly checked my ego at the door and realized I couldn't hit a 60*.

I also didn't want a large gap in the wedges so I have switched out to a 52, 54 and 58 set of wedges.  Also, my PW was switched out from my stock Nike VR split cavity wedge to a Vokey 48, bent to 47*.  I also still keep the 56* since I do think that it is the most versatile of the wedges and will swap it out with the 54 or 58 depending on the course layout and playing conditions.

His PW is lower lofted (stronger).  Do you actually put the 52 and 54 in the bag at the same time? And it's the 54 and 58 you swap out depending on the course, not the 52 and 54?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Even if you love the chipper and want to keep it in the bag, it sounds from your post like you're considering new irons, but are going to keep the chipper.  Then I'd echo advice given earlier, and look at sets that aren't bent so strong (ie, more classic lofts).  That would allow something like 48-52-56, or 48-54-60 (my old setup and my favorite overall).

My old set had a 48˚ PW, and I used a 54˚ and 60˚ and I really liked that setup.  I got a new set that was too well priced (used and set up perfectly for me!) to pass up, but it's a set with strong lofts.  Now my PW is 46˚, but I love my 54˚ and 60˚ wedges so much now that I've kept that setup and it continues to work well for me.  I hit the 54˚ out of the bunker and when I have a good amount of green to work with, and I use the 60˚ when I'm short sided and for a few other shots.  I have a big gap now but it's actually helped my game to be forced to learn to hit a mellow PW 120 when the full shot goes 135+.

Another note, I've never found my 60˚ very hard to hit.  I don't understand where that comment comes from (and it's fairly common).

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 4508 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!