IGNORED

TPI and S&T

The_Pharaoh
Note: This thread is 4475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leftygolfer

I'm not saying it hurts or isn't great for life, but it isn't going to make anyone good at golf.

This how I feel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnthejoiner

I would think the stack and tilt community would think very highly of TPI and recommend to all golfers, wasn't it at a TPI Fitness Summit that they got the answer they were looking for

Actually, Mike and Andy don't. They openly admit they don't see a link between fitness and golf performance. We've been having this discussion on Facebook and they have made their position very clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by x129

Try some time to touch your toes quickly and then slowly inch down. I have no clue what the average golfer you see is like. I can tell you that I see a lot of people that have flexibility issues. But I am also not going to guess if any amount of mobility training would be enough.

You could take your statement and turn it around. If your hitting the ball solidly but not far enough and have been playing golf for 20 years, spending a month on technique isn't likely to help you if your limitation is power based. I know enough middle aged guys (45-60) that decide to get in shape at the start of the year and are hitting the ball 5-10 yards farther in April. Most weren't even doing golf specific workouts but more general total body strength ones. But anyone expecting a gym workout to take your 6 iron from 120 yards to 180 is a bit optimistic.

Fitness is not either/or things. It is an And thing. You do your golf drills and you do fitness drills.

I can't touch my toes at any speed! ;-) The average golfers I see are the same as the average golfers all over the world. A lot of them have flexibility issues, yes, but does their lack of flexibility affect their swing? I have my doubts. Even if they improved their flexibility it wouldn't change their technique much, if at all imho.

Strength has very little to do with distance. I have a bodybuilder friend that can't hit his driver over 200 yards, yet have a skinny friend that hits his drives over 300 yards. One has no lag and one has tremendous lag. My bodybuilder friend is never going to find that sort of lag in the gym. He needs to spend that month on his technique in order to gain distance.

I really like your last sentence, but the fitness drills are for your health in general not to improve your golf swing.

Training for an activity and training to make certain muscle groups stand out aren't the same thing. Does anyone consider bodybuilders athletes in the purest sense? Not around here they don't.

I guess there are many golfers (including Plummer and Bennet) who are seen as having idesl swings and nobody would ever look at them and think, "that looks like a professioinal athlete". I mean, there are a few athletes playing pro golf, but in general they look like accountants (Mark Wilson and Corey Pavin actually look like a jockeys),

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I guess there are many golfers (including Plummer and Bennet) who are seen as having idesl swings and nobody would ever look at them and think, "that looks like a professioinal athlete". I mean, there are a few athletes playing pro golf, but in general they look like accountants (Mark Wilson and Corey Pavin actually look like a jockeys),

I can guarantee you that if you saw P&B; hitting balls on the range you would think, "they look like professional athletes".

Great comment on Wilson and Pavin!

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by The_Pharaoh

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I can guarantee you that if you saw P&B; hitting balls on the range you would think, "they look like professional athletes".

Great comment on Wilson and Pavin!

That's what I meant actually - the average professional golfer when seen somewhere other than the golf course does not look like a professional athlete. It's not just golf either. The number one overall draft pick in the NHL last summer (Edmonton Oilers' centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - "the nuge") looks like he should be working at McDonalds somewhere, until you see him play.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!