IGNORED

Homemade practice net inquiry

Hairballjenkins
Note: This thread is 4402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all, new to the forum lovin it so far! So ive got my heart set on building my own practice net at my house at university. After some research and thought I feel I have a pretty good design plan (mech engineering student) but ive got a few unanswered questions I am hoping someone can provide some incite. 1. I plan on a 9' wide x 8' tall .net being a substantial enough size. Will any type of overhead netting be neccessary? Id rather not as to save material and possibly use the net for other sports. 2. Where is a good spot to find the net? I found some online but descriptions are unclear and I dont really know what I'm getting. This is the biggest problem I have right now. 3. What is the best way to size the net to the correct tightness and the best way to connect it to the frame(will be pvc). Im thinking simple plastic zip ties. Id really appreciated any advice! Thanks, Jason

What are you going to make it out of?

I would suggest PVC pipe.  Easy to cut and easy to glue together.

Try a recycling yard for a good deal.

For netting?  Tough one.  Try a fishing supply dealer but make sure the netting holes are small enough to stop a golf ball.

Where are you planning on setting it up? Inside, outside, in a garage? The biggest thing you need to worry about is missing/breaking the net and the resulting ricochet. Don't ask me how I know this . Nothing like a golf ball coming back at you at 100mph to put the fear of God into you.

I've played with a few different setups but finally ditched the real golf balls in favor of using "Almost Golf" balls. The balls are plastic and lightweight but still feel similar to hitting a real ball. I have my setup inside the house as the garage is just too cold in the Chicago winters. Now I don't worry about the occasional shank as the ball just bounces around harmlessly if I do miss the net.

As for netting, you can find some good deals on ebay. Since I use the plastic balls I don't bother with a net and just hit into a cloth painters tarp. I built a frame out of PVC and just hung the tarp like a shower curtain. If you're looking for the ultimate cheap setup just take two high-backed chairs and set them 6 feet apart. Drape with a heavy quilt and you can hit everything from driver to about 7 iron into the quilt. I did this for a few months last year and had no problems.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I am planning on having it set up inside and outside. I live in a fraternity with a large basement and enough outside room.

As a kid I used to hit around our home with little plastic balls that hardly went anywhere, are "Almost Golf" balls the same as these or are they a medium between real balls and the really light plastic?

I read the review on Almost Golf Balls and it seems like people really like them but I'd really like to get the real ball feel when practicing.

thanks for the advice

I have ordered a 10'x10' net from a company called Gourock online.  They sell it on eBay, but you can also get it directly from them.  With shipping included, it cost $51.00.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
I used my son's lacrosse goal and hung a painter's drop cloth in it because the holes in the net were too big.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!