IGNORED

My Swing (joewchampion)

joewchampion
Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys.. Im a 12 handicapp and have seriously playing golf for the past 3 years. I try to hit the range at least once a week, and weather permitting like to play at least 18 holes a week. Im left handed and have always played a cut shot. Recently i wanted to be able to bend the ball both ways so attempted to learn to play a draw. I had a right wrist injury a few years ago and do not have full flexibility in that wrist. During a recent lesson i was told the reason i had trouble drawing was because i dont set the club all the way and then dont release the club head... Causing a slice or fade.. I took some videos this week and cropped them down a bit. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Whats happening now is i either hit a nice little draw or a complete hossel shot.. I cant get rid of the shank. I try squaring up but somehow about every third shot is a hossel shot. Its killing my confidence and effecting my entire game.

It would be good to get a down the line shot as well. The first thing I notice is that your right arms bends at the top of your back swing. Try to keep that right arm straight.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

• Administrator

Originally Posted by joewchampion

I'll get a dtl video tomorrow. Any idea what happened to my videos?

They're right there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by joewchampion

That's odd they don't show up on my iPad.. Thanks guys

Unfortunately, they don't. Huddler is aware of the bug/missing feature.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ok guys... Played today and stopped my round after about twelve holes. I shanked a few full iron, 2 punch irons, and a couple half wedge shots. Also hit a few drivers and three woods that were off the heel.. This puts tons of stuff in your head and allows no confidence to swing the club freely. Here is the DTL video and i actually shanked a 5 iron on the par 3 i filmed on... Its hideous... After i quit i went to the course pro and showed him the videos i had taken.. From the DTL Shank video he said, " I was blocking everything, no release, open face at impact" "looks like your hands are too close to body" He had me go on the rang and hit some 1/2 punch shot concentrating on releasing the club.. Still shanking everything.. He then had me exagerate extending my arms straight back and out almost on the takeaway.. This seemed to fix everything.. Started striking the ball extremely well and was able to swing "FREE"!! Please any advice, tips or whatever you see would be appreciated... This is soooo discouraging.

Here are some screen shots of the shank.. Seemed like you tube didnt allow a good slow mo... 1 is parallel takeaway, 2 is down swing, 3 is right before impact.. Hossel Covering ball, 4 is showing after impact and ball screaming left...

Swing Footage 001.png Swing Footage 002.png Swing Footage 003.png Swing Footage 004.png

Hey there fellow lefty!  I've suffered from a hook in the past myself, so I feel your pain.

Two points that stood out for me.

First, you seem off-balance on the follow through.  When I get quick it's often because I'm trying to hit it hard.

I tend to hook too when I get quick.  Think about staying smooth and stable throughout the entire swing and this will give you an easier tempo, which should help a lot.

Second, pictures #3 and #4 are only .03 seconds apart, but look how your left elbow has chickenwinged away from your body.

This was the main point my teaching pro noticed about my swing, and the resulting hook.  Keep that left elbow anchored to your hip through impact and it's almost impossible to hook it.

A drill for that is the old 'glove under the armpit.'

Good luck!

And it wouldn't be fair if I didn't throw my swing up here.

This is a couple of years old, and it's a little dark, but I think you can get a good idea of what I'm talking about regarding tempo and balance and the chickenwing.

Quote: bilinguru
#3 and #4 are only .03 seconds apart, but look how your left elbow has chickenwinged away from your body.

Thanks for the reply... Your right.. that's crazy the amount my elbow got disconnected in .03 seconds.. thanks for sharing your video.. that's an awesome driving range. So if you had a hook (left to right) how do you think this incorporates to my shank (hosseled straight left)?

• Administrator

Originally Posted by bilinguru

And it wouldn't be fair if I didn't throw my swing up here.

Please start your own thread for your own swing rather than posting in someone else's. Thank you.

Quote:
Please start your own thread for your own swing rather than posting in someone else's. Thank you.

Sorry about that.  Will do.  Actually, I'll be posting a more recent one soon.

Quote:
that's an awesome driving range. So if you had a hook (left to right) how do you think this incorporates to my shank (hosseled straight left)?

Yeah, Japan has some amazing driving ranges.  Not many places to practice putting, but that's another story.

Shanks are tough to read.

The fact that the ball went left off the hossel, is not because you don't suffer from a hook swing, rather that the ball hit the hossel and twisted the clubhead open.

If you are consistently hitting it off the hossel, it might be about ball position.

I note in your set up that your posture is a bit hunched over with your chin tucked into your chest.

Therefore you are standing quite far from the ball and are forced to reach out for the ball.

You could try moving a little closer and keeping your hands and arms closer to your body throughout, your spine straighter, and your chin up.

I hate the idea of throwing too many swing thoughts at you at once.  But, I'm thinking here about setting up better.

Once you are in the right position, think only about keeping that left elbow in on the downswing.  Make good tempo and  and come to a good stable pose in the follow through.

After a couple of buckets of balls grooving that feeling, hopefully you'll be making better contact.

Note: This thread is 4446 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!