IGNORED

Has anybody tried a Swing Number training aid?

Note: This thread is 4555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just ran across this training aid (http://www.swingnumber.com/) while googling "The Impact Zone". The maker, while not claiming any affiliation with Clampett, cited his work as the inspiration for this device. You place it six inches from your ball (hopefully you are not so outside-[SIZE=3][/SIZE] in as to hit it) At impact it flashes a random, single digit number. The idea is that as you train yourself to see and recognize the number, you will be looking at the ball through impact. They emphatically state that this is not the same as "keeping your head down". Their claim is that by doing this you will start taking your divot in front of the ball. Anybody familiar with this device? I'd be interested to hear if any of the instructors here have an opinion on whether it might be worthwhile. The cost is $34.95 so it is tempting.....

I wouldn't be surprised if this did succeed in getting you to truly focus on a spot at least near the ball.  If you're playing off a ~20 handicap though, I'd be there are TONS of other things you should be working on before worrying about whether you're "just" keeping your head down or truly focusing on the ball.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No doubt about it, my swing is a target rich environment for improvement. The question I keep asking is, what things should I make happen, and what things should I let happen? Said another way, are there a couple of things that, if done right, will cause other things to fall into place? I keep working on specific positions, etc but just can't find a way to make it flow. It's why I love/hate the game.

• 1 month later...

I just got my Swingnumber this past week.  It does work as advertized.  All I can say is I have never truly felt satisfied in my golf game.  It always seemed that when my head was down at impact I hit the ball well but often, too often I could not tell you that it was down even if the outcome was ok.  I have been a mid to low single digit handicapper for 30 years but want to still play stratch at my age of 52 (and very near to the next number! lol), I have used the Swingnumber on both chips and full shots.  I would give it thumbs up at this early stage but it does prove a challenge, for example, it has a setting for short shots where it will flash 3 #'s instead of 1.  I find myself catching the last 2 but not the first one, I think my head is not still (enough) and if it helps me to create a more " quiet " head and therefore a much better chance at staying down and through, I think it can prove well worth it's value of $35.  I hope this helps.

Thanks much for the detailed reply. I'm trying to find a couple of keys that I can stick with. I'm going to give this a try. I think my shoulder plane is inconsistent and feel like this may help with tha (and maintains my spine angle longer)

Note: This thread is 4555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!