IGNORED

Ever had one of these rounds?

JeffG
Note: This thread is 6194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

SIGH! Warning, long post ahead!

One of those thats makes you ponder about why you even practice?? Or why you just spent gobs of money on new equipment??

Well, i've been playing with my irons only (new driver being delivered tomorrow). So its been good for me anyway, been playing decent with them. On Sat. I shot 46 front (missed WAY too many putts) and 41 back with my irons.

So yesterday, my course is usually pretty bare on the weekdays 5:30 pm and on. I love to go out there at those times by myself and its usually just me and maybe 3-4 other people on the whole course. So I have plenty of time to take a few extra shots, practice around the greens everynow and then, etc.

Well, my new set of irons came 4-GW so I've been teeing off w/ the 4. #1, right down the pipe...in the sweet spot...beautiful. 2nd shot (145 out), 9-iron about 15 feet from pin. Tap-in par. I was thinking its gonna be a great relaxing day of golf! #2 par 5 - Great teeshot again, 4-iron...high ball flight...hit it completely square...a little draw, right where I was aiming. 2nd shot, was just gonna hit it around the dogleg to set up ~100 yard approach, easy shot. Great lie...all the confidence in the world...smooth backswing...and...I @#$*%ing SHANK the ball!!

Initial reaction was shock...I haven't shanked one (on the course, done it a few times a few months back at the range trying some weird things) in a LONG time...like years. So I was like "WHOA...what in the world?" Then I kinda chuckled to myself, "Oh well, i'll just hit it again...I can still get it close and save par". Next shot (still w/ 4 iron), hit it good about 40 yards from green. That was kind of an odd distance for me...didn't know how hard to hit the SW, so I would up going over...then a terrible chip...anyway doubled that hole.

I thought "Oh well, 2 over after 2...I can still make a good round out of this." #3, short par 4. Tee it up...still alot of confidence in my 4-iron tee shots. Smooth backswing...and ANOTHER shank. Off the right about 75 yards. This time I'm like "Okay...dubya tee eff...is going on...". Luckily the lady's scramble group is far enough ahead of me they aren't watching this debacle. I wind up bogeying that hole after another pitiful approach shot.

#4 - 155 yard par 3. 9-iron to about 6-7 feet from pin. Of course I miss the putt...still a par. Still wondering whats going on with my random shanks.

#5 - 430 yard par 4. 4-iron tee shot...perfect like earlier in the round. Sweet spot, right down the pipe...little draw...middle of fairway. I'm catching up to the lady's, they're teeing off on #6 which is perpendicular to #5, so they're ahead and to the right. I'm 165 yards, middle of fairway. I love these shots. 7-iron....SHANK. It goes so close to the lady's I was considering yelling a "fore!" but I knew it was going to be short. Still I ducked behind the cart and grabbed another ball. By this time I was furious. Nobody was even 4 holes behind me, so I sat there and hit like 8 balls. No more shanks, but pull/hooks...couple decent ones...finally one on the FAR side of the green.

#6 - Long par 5. Forgetting about score, just trying to figure out my problem. 4-iron tee off...yep...a shank. Tee off again, pull/hook OB. I knew if I proceeded I'd wind up breaking something. So i just picked up and headed to the house.

I'm not going on the course again until I hit a bucket of balls at the range (even though I have to drive 30 miles to the nearest driving range...). I'm confident i'll be able to work it out. But rounds like that really damage my confidence in my ball-striking (obviously!). I know i'm not going to play well all of the time, but hell...I should at least be making decent contact with the ball for as long as I've been playing!

Thank God I was the only one playing!

K, just had to get that off my chest!

Ever had one of these rounds? ya pretty much annually LMAO
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

• Administrator

They say shanks come in groups of three, so the fourth is actually just the start of the next three.

I've had rounds like that, but not so much lately since I've been focusing on being more consistent. When my swing was super flat, it was far less consistent.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One good shank deserves another.

I did that with my 4 iron yesterday, sending a hosel rocket into some serious cabbage. (The kind of cabbage where you concede that your ball is lost before even attempting to find it).
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Sounds like you've got a case of the laterals...

I think most of us have had a round like this before. A couple years ago I went through a stage where I S----ed some pitch shots from the fairway. Longer than chips but shorter than full wedge shots were giving me fits. Found out I wasn't turning at all, just swinging my arms at it. Way back in high school I was longer and flatter with my swing and got a case of the shanks before. Sounds like you hit some good shots too. Work it out, nobody ever said golf was easy

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I had a bad case of the shanks when I changed my grip... actually, it was because the pro was telling me how to grip the club. I began hitting hosel rockets on every shot...it got so bad that the pro put a cardboard box about an inch in front of the ball. I was afraid of hitting the box, I suppose, so I hit the ball squarely again. Ever since then, if I hit a hosel rocket, I'll imagine there's a box in front of the ball...and catch it off the toe next time.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Actually, I had the whole Kevin Costner/tin cup thing going on for awhile. I had been using a set of Genex 3dx irons which i bought 2 months earlier. Id been golfing for about a 2 years. I had just shortened my swing and was hitting my irons the distances I wanted. One round I just started hitting shanks with every iron in my bag. I didnt know why, I went to the local course and used their practice net. Shank after shank. This went on for a week, untill I realized I was heeling everything with my driver aswell. Eventually it kind of dawned on me, that i was extending my arms and hands too far from my body which was causing me to heel/hosel every club.. instead of just taking my normal grip and set up to the ball. (letting my arms hang naturally and gripping the club). Needless to say I hit a shank a couple months ago, with a pitching wedge? to my defense it was the 1st time I had used the set of irons and I took them straight to the course. Other than that, im shank free.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

God help me, I have battled the random laterals off and on for about a year. Mine occur at random in the middle of a good round usually with a long to mid iron from a perfectly good, flat lie in the fairway. That only seems to make my shock and awe all the more acute. Fortunately, I will sometimes go a week of more without hitting one, then I may hit three in a round. Very weird. I think turning your cap around backwards and putting all your change in one pocket is as effective as anything I have see for curing them. After all, Roy McAvoy is my hero.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

yea about 4 weeks ago i shot a 53..then last week in my first high school match ever (im a freshman) i shot a 50..pressure really got to me.

pissed me off tho.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Thanks for the responses! Its great to know i'm not the only one who has a random case of the "S****s"!

I'm playing today, and hoping they'll be gone.

Oh sure, I had a little case of the shanks earlier this season that almost led to me having a mental breakdown. Not to mention throwing my clubs in a pond.

Well its not the shanks...but...

Yesterday...standing on 18...I am 4 over for the round...pretty damn good for me. 18 is a slight dog left 380yds with a creek along the left side. I hit my 4w off the tee...manage to pull it a wee bit and it rolls into the creek. Re-tee...hitting 3 snap hook into the creek. Re-tee hitting 5...a bigger hook over the creek OB.

I want my mommy....
Driver: 907D2 9.5*- Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
4 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics 16* - Aldila VS Proto 65 - Stiff
Hybrids: CLK FLI-HI 20* and 23* - Stiff
Irons: MP-60 4 - PW - Project X Flighted 6.0
Wedges: 56* and 60* Spin Milled OilCan - Spinner Wedge ShaftsPutter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5Ball:.....

Note: This thread is 6194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!