IGNORED

using strength in swing

Note: This thread is 6195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1= little, 10=very much,) how much muscle strength do you use in powering through your swing?

Learning the game over a few years, I've finally come to realize that I've been using way too much strength in my downswing. I've recently backed down the amount of strength I use to almost nil and am seeing some good results.

Here is a problem that I'm experiencing so far:

1. At the driving range, my practice swing is good, but when I place a ball down to hit, I resort back to the dreaded strength swing version I'm trying to get away from. I tried closing my eyes, but this doesn't help. Something in my mind enacts me to power through the ball. Any advice to rid me of this problem?

Thanks,

Eat

On a scale of 1 to 10 (1= little, 10=very much,) how much muscle strength do you use in powering through your swing?

This is interesting. It's similar to a problem that I have. My problem is my practice swing is great, nice and smooth, great tempo. I get over the ball and I guess I get anxious, and I basically WHIP the club back, no transition from backswing to downswing, and basically "lunge" at the ball with just an ugly ass swing. My dad said I don't look anything like that on my practice swing. I guess I'm swinging too hard and trying to hit the ball too fast when I get over the ball. I'm going to start to try relaxing more while over the ball. On a scale of 1-10, on my practice swing it was probably like a 3, but then when I get over the ball I lose all tempo, and it probably results in a 9 or 10.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

In my mind it is all about "Tempo". Look at Ernie Els swing. It looks like he is hardly trying and he hits it a mile. I think all high handicappers struggle with this as I know that when I am swinging easy and as they say "allowing the club to do the work" I play much better and under control. However, when my tempo is off and I start swinging hard all kinds of unfortunate things happen. There are books and CD's out that can help you with your tempo. I always try to remember what Ernie says that you should never swing all out. Shooting score is much different then trying to win a Long Drive contest. Learn to hit all your clubs at 70%-80% on the driving range and learn those distances so when you are on the golf course you will play to that length and not try to over swing. Hope this helps.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

I'd say I swing with about 50-60% effort. It used to be more like 80%, so I'm improving. I realized the harder I tried to swing, the tighter my muscles got. My grip, my forearms, an overly stiff left arms, etc. It robbed power and accuracy, not to mention it was much harder on my body.

I'd say I swing with about 50-60% effort. It used to be more like 80%, so I'm improving. I realized the harder I tried to swing, the tighter my muscles got. My grip, my forearms, an overly stiff left arms, etc. It robbed power and accuracy, not to mention it was much harder on my body.

I agree,tension in the arms and for me shoulders is a swing killer. I do believe there is a next stage where because your swing is more efficient you can learn to swing harder and stay relaxed. It is the ability to swing hard with the right parts of your body at the right time that allows LPGA golfers to hit the ball as far or farther than most men.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• Administrator
In my mind it is all about "Tempo". Look at Ernie Els swing. It looks like he is hardly trying and he hits it a mile.

I've heard that the effortless power that pros achieve is more a result of balance than actually "not swinging very hard." They're swinging hard - they're just balanced doing it.

Look at Tiger when he really goes after a driver (and usually it results in a bad swing). He looks like he's swinging hard. Now if he swings only 5% less hard and the ball goes 25 yards shorter, it looks beautifully easy. The difference: he's balanced on the second. He's not actually swinging that much easier. So, I think achieving balance is a better way to get effortless power than anything else. Plus, if you're balanced, you'll find the sweet spot more often, which as we all know is the easiest way to increase distance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah it definitely has more to do with balance and tempo then effort put into your swing. If you look at any pro making a full swing, at the bottom of their downswing all of their muscles are flexed and you can usually look at their face and tell they are exerting themselves. Yet it looks smooth cuz they have good tempo and balance.

But to comment on the purpose of the thread, i'd say i'm an 8? on strength in my swing.... i definitely am swinging hard

and my practice swings are never full swings, they are more half swings while i'm visualizing my shot, and if i am hitting a draw and fade getting those motions in my head before my shot.

In My Bag:
9.5 degree Mizuno MX-500
15 degree Titliest 904F
Mizuno MP-32 3-PW
Cleveland CG10 Black Pearl 52 degree
Vokey Spin-Milled 56.14
Ping i5 Anser

You gotta believe the guys on tour are swinging very very hard. 125 mph doesn't come from just weight transfer and momentum alone - it's that extra Tabasco that they serve up with it.

Take a look at all those pictures of Tiger at impact or just before he's about to stripe the ball. That face, to me, doesn't look like someone who's swinging without using any strength.

Just like Iacas said, it's more about staying in balance.

Titleist 905R 460CC Driver Fujikura Stiff 8.5
Titleist PT15* 3 Wood Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist 980F 19* 5 Wood Titleist Regular
Miura Forged Baby Blades 3-PW NS Pro Stiff
Miura Forged 56* Sand WedgeTitleist Vokey 60* Lob WedgeTitleist Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport 35"Nike One Platinum...

Staying balanced with good tempo TO ME means not swaying off the ball on backswing which is slow and easy, then, allowing the wrists to hinge by not gripping the club tight-maybe a 5 on scale of 10; then, just letting the coiled shoulders uncoil while maintaining the right wrist angle bent back until impact.
You honestly don't have to swing hard if you do these things. I guess I would say I am 70% maximum and much less for finesse shots or if I want to work the ball more.

Take a look at all those pictures of Tiger at impact or just before he's about to stripe the ball. That face, to me, doesn't look like someone who's swinging without using any strength. Just like Iacas said, it's more about staying in balance.

I hope you are not expecting any of us to compare any part of our swings with Tiger's.

I have read that standing on the tee and just listening to one of his drives is an incredible experience. However, if you compare yourself to the average Pro you would be surpirsed that they are not all as long as you think and most of them are sucessful because of good tempo and as Iaas said good balance in their swing...not 125mph.

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Note: This thread is 6195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!