IGNORED

My Swing (bjornarneson)

bjornarneson
Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Would appreciate your feedback on these swings. Some background: I'm about a 5 handicap, 6'6" tall, play clubs 1" over standard. My typical pattern is a controllable fade -- misses tend to be push fades or straight pulls. Typical ball flight is high. I hit a 7-iron around 175 yds. Recently I have been working on keeping my hands inside the clubhead on the backswing and not swaying off the ball onto my back foot. With a tall center of gravity, it is hard to get back to the front in time.

Down the line:

Caddy view (audio a bit out of sync):

Looks really good.  Nice in to out path..

I can't really see anything wrong with that swing.  Many good golfers combat pulled shots and a slight fade is nothing to get worked up about.

Looking good for the most part! One thing i did notice on your backswing about hip high, your club is working a little inside (laid off). I know you said you're trying to get your hands inside the club; try to feel the underneath the club. The takeaway (to hip high) should mimic a simple wrist cock in the sense that by hip high, the club is set. From that simple "cock" position (which should have the club toe up parallel to your feet line target like ect.) all you do is turn back and through. You have a WONDERFUL turn. If you can set the club a little better, and make the same turn, I'd bet you'd be more consistent!

if you freeze your slow down the line view at 11 seconds, you'll notice the shaft is laid off from your feet's line. if you can get that parallel, all you have to do is turn~ nice move

That's good feedback MrSuaves. I see that the clubhead is a bit underplane on the backswing, which leads me to come over the top once in a while in an effort to get the club on plane on the downswing. I have also been experimenting with steepening my shoulder turn a bit--for many years I turned very flat and played an inconsistent slap/flip/push draw. Slightly steeper shoulders may help with getting the club more vertical on the backswing, no?

My golfing time has been woefully lacking lately--between starting a new job and some mid-April Minnesota rain and sleet. Tonight was crisp and clear, however! No video to share of tonight's session, but I can report that some of these new swing feels produced some good shots.

Specifically, I was trying to feel the club hinging straight up between my elbows on the backswing and then dropping into a more inward slot on the downswing. I know that "feel is not real" but it felt like a Lee Trevino move! Clubshaft more vertical on the backswing and dropping for a shallower attack on the downswing. That's what it felt like to me, in any case.

Most of these swings with SW-8iron produced some good ballflight patterns--generally straight to 3yd draws at 160yds. I did have the occasional 15yd pull when my arms got ahead of sync with my body. Good ball compression, though, and very few of my weak push-fades of the last few weeks.

I'm hoping to get some new video soon--will post it up when it happens.

very nice!! keep pluggin away. push fades are the worst. they're annoying, and they don't go anywhere. you're doing the right thing. feel is totally real! it may not feel good, but it should feel different. unfortunatly push fades happen while you try to work to the inside of the ball. you'll get it. don't forget to pay extra attention to tempo too, that should help to feel a nice timely release to the inside of the golf ball.

Your swing looks pretty darn good.  I can tell you we are very similar in the way we swing and play, but you are a little taller than me.  I am also a 5 handicap and went to school to teach golf.  My only advice is when you start to pull the ball concentrate on keeping your back to the target as long as possible.  This will help you bump your hips to start the downswing.....other than that just more time on task repeating a good swing and you will get rid of the misses.

Benjamin Ehinger

• 1 year later...

Been a while since I've updated this thread--here are two videos of my most recent practice efforts. I'm working these elements:

1. Keep the clubhead outside my hands on the backswing

2. Shoulder turn more vertical

3. Shorter backswing

4. Keep right heel down (this one is a tough habit to break....)

Down the line:

Front view:

Note: This thread is 4001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!