IGNORED

Request for Sticky: Launch Monitors

Note: This thread is 6188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can someone who knows about these things perhaps post a write up about what we should be looking for if we are hitting some balls using a launch monitor.

For example.
What is Smash? What's a good number for it?
Swing speed - Pretty self explanitory. But for example my driver speed is approx. 10-15 mpg faster than my irons. Is this standard?
Ball Speed - Again pretty self explanatory but how import is this number.
Spin - Again pretty self explanatory but again what kind of numbers should I be looking for?

Heck for all I know this isn't even a launch monitor. Some one help?

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

• Administrator
What is Smash? What's a good number for it?

1.5 is pretty much considered the maximum. Smash factor = ball speed / driver clubhead speed. It basically measures how good your contact is. Contact too low, high, or towards the heel or two results in a lower ball speed and thus a lower smash factor.

Swing speed - Pretty self explanitory. But for example my driver speed is approx. 10-15 mpg slower than my irons. Is this standard?

Slower? Your swing speed should get faster with the longer clubs. Your PW should be slower than your 5-iron and your driver clubhead speed should be fastest of all.

Ball Speed - Again pretty self explanatory but how import is this number.

Off the driver, very. Again, see smash factor.

Spin - Again pretty self explanatory but again what kind of numbers should I be looking for?

It depends on your launch angle and ball speed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1.5 is pretty much considered the maximum. Smash factor = ball speed / driver clubhead speed. It basically measures how good your contact is. Contact too low, high, or towards the heel or two results in a lower ball speed and thus a lower smash factor.

OOps sorry I meant to say faster. Thanks for the catch. I'll go back and edit.

In The Bag
SQ 5000 10.5

SQ Sumo 3 wood
MP-32 3-PWGolden Bear Gap Wedge SV Sand Wedge MP T Lob WedgeYes Golf Callie Putter

the new PGA Tour Superstore here in Dallas has 12 launch monitors and they measure everything. I guess that smash factor and ball speed matter in that it calculates your efficiency on your shots. If you swing 110 with a driver, but ball speed is only 135, then you are very inefficient. I think I was around 105 and 145, which was a pretty decent combo for a 4 handicap. Most will also measure sidespin, offline distance and face angle which is very important.

Driver: 9.5 905R 757 Speeder X stiff
3 Wood: 13.0 Sonartec GS Tour Red Ice 70X
Hybrid: 17.0 Sonartec MD Stiff UST IROD
Irons: 690cb 4-PW w/Rifle 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 900 Series Gunmetal 50, 54, 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Newport 370g head

With a driver, backspin is one of the keys to distance. Without getting too detailed, the spin starts about at about 2700/3000 rpm backspin. It slows as it goes, and that is affected mostly by time aloft. Time aloft of 7.0 - 7.3 seconds is awesome.

Some combination of rpm/speed produces optimal lift. The right rpm/forward speed combo at the high point of the drive's arc causes the ball to kind of hang there a short while, and that gives you an extra 20 or 30 yards if things are right. If the spin rate hits optimal too early the ball balloons, too late and you miss the advantage. Launch angle, backspin, speed .. all keys to the distance, and finding the right head/shaft/ball combo for your swing is why they have so many of last-years' drivers for sale cheap on e-bay.

Note: This thread is 6188 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!