Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
406bogeys

Looking for a new hybrid or fairway wood

10 posts in this topic

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a 19 degree Taylormade RBZ hybrid and I love it.  I have never hit or owned a hybrid until this year and I tried a ton of them before I decided on the RBZ.  Its a little pricey but its very easy to hit off the ground, out of the ruff, and off the tee. The main reason I like the RBZ was the fact that it looks like a fairway wood. A lot of the hybrids looked funny to me at address cause of that iron wood mix look they have and this one doesnt have that look. The irons set I got didnt come with a 3 iron and thats why I wanted a hybrid and I can hit this club much better than I could ever hit a 3 iron.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by 406bogeys

So im currently looking for a longer range club i can hit in the fairways and am trying to decide if the hybrid is the best way to go or if i should stick with fairway woods. Are hybrids significantly easier to hit? are they comparable in distance? Just looking for some guidance here everyone. All suggestions and opinions are welcome.


I don't like fairway woods as hybrids are easier to make better contact with. Yes, they are easier, than a FW, to hit as you swing them like your iron.

Yes, the FW will go further, but depending on how good you are, right?  I'll take a consistent 200 yards from my hybrid than a once-in-while 230+ from a FW (YMMV).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I like hybrids if the loft is about 20 degrees and woods if the loft is below 20 degrees.

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Topper

By trial and error, I have found this to be on the mark.  I have an average swing speed and hybrids and irons with lofts below 20* are hard for me to get airborne consistently.  One of my 2012 goals is to learn to how use my 5W....consistently.

I'm a low ball hitter too.  I carry a 1,3, 5 wood and then jump to 3H and 4H, 5-PW, GW, and SW.  I hit the 5 wood 10 to 20 longer than I hit a 2H.  I hit the 3H just as far as I hit a 7 wood, but with more control.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by 406bogeys

Just purchased an RBZ 19 degree hybrid. I hit it this afternoon and was suprized at not only how easy it was to hit, but also how much it felt like i was hitting a driver of the terf. love this club!

RocketBallz Hybrids and Fairways are really good, easiest fairway wood I've ever hit.  A 4 wood might be a good option too

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am extremely happy with this purchase. I am hitting the RBZ 3 hybrid consistently 225 to 235 and straight as a string. this is slowly becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag. So easy to hit and really feels like a driver on impact. Im considering taking the 3 wood out of my bag just because of the consistency i am getting out of the hybrid. I will sacrifice 30 yards if i can always be in the fairway.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

keep in mind most hybrids are going to give you a higher ball flight and less roll on impact with the ground for comparable models. I just purchsed a Wilson DXi 3H at 19*. i havent hit it yet, but when i do i can post and let you know how it feels. Not knocking TM and the RBZ line by anymeans, but it's much easier on the pocket.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0