IGNORED

Sore hands, new clubs

Note: This thread is 4361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, I recently purchased a set of Titleist 670's off craigslist with Project X Rifle 6.5's, 1/2inch long.  They are great clubs, but I've been noticing that my hands are extremely sore after playing a round with them.  I'm 6' 270lbs, and I have a relatively quick clubhead speed, 7 iron about 170, Driver 280-300 on average and I'm about a scratch golfer.

My Question being, are these shafts a bit much for me?  My hands are killing me and I'm not sure if its the clubs.  Any suggestions / advice?  Thanks!

Yea the stiffness could be a problem, or if you have big hands and the grips are smaller than what you need, your body could just grip it tighter with out you realizing your grip pressure... My take is it could be the grips, but whats your biggest miss with these irons!?

On occasion I pull them, possible closed face, though almost always have a slight draw on them.  I love the irons, don't get me wrong, but from what I've read, those shafts are ridiculously stiff.  My old irons, Titleist 962's, my hands have never been sore.  But since I got these, my hands have been just killing me after a round of golf.  My hand's are also average size, I've never had a problem with standard grips.

Okay and since your a 2 handicap you have a good swing, so its possible that the shafts are to stiff Maybe if you like the control of the shafts you could soft step them, but also going  back to the grips. Did you regrip them with your size or are they stock cause getting fit for grips is necessary.

I have winn grips on them, w5's, didn't make a difference. I put them on there hoping it would fix the problem. I played 18 holes each day, the last two days.  Today I feel like I couldn't even hit through the ball

If you've regripped with what you would normally play with and that hasn't alleviated the problem, I would also get the SW's checked.  Since you bought them off CL, the previous owner might have gotten them SW'ed heavier, much heavier than you might be used to playing with and that could lead to quicker fatigue, even in the hands.

In my Mizuno Aerolite IV Stand Bag:

Driver: Titleist 910D2 (9.5°, RIP Alpha 70S)
Wood: Titleist 910F (15°, RIP Alpha 70S)

Irons: Mizuno MP-68 Irons (3 - PW, C-Taper S+), Mizuno MP-33 2 Iron (C-Taper S+)

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled (56.11 - Bent to 54°, 60.07 Tour Chrome, C-Taper S+ DSS)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (34")

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

GPS: Garmin Approach g5

Most useful training aids (for me) that I use: Tour Striker Pro 7 Iron, Swingyde, Tour Sticks alignment sticks, Dave Pelz Putting Tutor

I played Friday and Saturday with my 670's and Sunday my hands were destroyed.  I took 2 200mg tylenol before I played Sunday and I used my old clubs, Monday morning I had minimal/ close to no pain in my hands, same grips.  I'm pretty convinced, shafts were to blame in this occasion.  Before I played Sunday, I went to Golfsmith, did a test on my clubhead speed.  With a driver I'm hitting between 93-97Mph.  I think thats a bit too low for those project X's.  I'm going to sell them if anyone is interested.  Likely on Craigslist, but I would prefer to give this community dibs.

Titleist 670's, Project X Rifle's 6.5, 1/2" long.  Club faces are pristine, the actual clubs are aside from the faces are in medium/good shape.

Originally Posted by wess

I played Friday and Saturday with my 670's and Sunday my hands were destroyed.  I took 2 200mg tylenol before I played Sunday and I used my old clubs, Monday morning I had minimal/ close to no pain in my hands, same grips.  I'm pretty convinced, shafts were to blame in this occasion.  Before I played Sunday, I went to Golfsmith, did a test on my clubhead speed.  With a driver I'm hitting between 93-97Mph.  I think thats a bit too low for those project X's.  I'm going to sell them if anyone is interested.  Likely on Craigslist, but I would prefer to give this community dibs.

Titleist 670's, Project X Rifle's 6.5, 1/2" long.  Club faces are pristine, the actual clubs are aside from the faces are in medium/good shape.

It sounds like hitting your driver 300 with a 95mph swing speed is a bit exaggerated. If the yardages you gave were correct you'd need about 20mph more speed to make them realistic. You should be looking at about a normal stiff shaft at most, unless the 95mph is referring to your iron swing speed. If it is, then the 6.5s shouldn't be too hard to load. In fact, that's about the recommended iron SS.

The other possibility is that the turf interaction may be causing the clubs to dig or bounce off the turf a bit, and if you have a steep angle of attack you may not be cutting through the turf as much as with your old clubs, though I don't know about the sole grind of either model. That combined with those stiff shafts could produce a lot of vibration and strain on your wrists. Lie angle being off could also make for the toe or heel digging, but you'd likely hit them off line if that were the case. Some find PX to feel harsher than others since they have a stiff tip and really reduce spin, where Dynamic golds or the like are a bit more soft feeling.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To be fair, when I was testing my club speed, my hands were extremely sore and was swinging slower than usual. But I think you're right on the money

Note: This thread is 4361 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!