IGNORED

Which Taylormade 3 wood?

Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Need some quick advice. I am looking to fill a void at my 3 wood position. I used to have an old titleist 980F that I wont even take out of my bag anymore. I'm thinking the taylormade line, and possibly the r7 line.
My club pro let me borrow his TM r7 TP 15 degree club and it felt excellent. Then he quoted me a 400$ plus price tag, a $275 for the titanium, and a $205 for the steel.
I read the review of the r7 TP from Erik several months ago.
I guess my question is this: Does anyone have any thoughts on the steel vs. the titanium vs. the tp? aside from cost. I've been keeping an eye on ebay and it looks like any of the three could be found for under $160 give or take condition of the club. I do plan to go and hit them at a golf galaxy or a local pro shop, but does anyone have personal course experience with the clubs?

Thanks---

In my bag:
Driver: 905T 10.5 YS-6 Regular Flex
3 wood: r7 steel 15 degree stiff
Hybrid: Rescue Mid 19 degree stiff
Irons: 735.CM 4-PWedges: 52, 56, 60 vokey oil canPutter: 2ball white steelBall: Pro V1Home Course: http://www.millcreekgolf.com

• Administrator
I read the review of the r7 TP from Erik several months ago.

That review, for those curious, is

here . So anyway, the way I see it: r7 TP - As reviewed. More thoughts there. r7 Steel - More traditional, better for players who are looking to hit the ball from the fairway or rough due to its smaller head. Probably for the lower handicapper. r7 Titanium - More for the player looking to hit from the tee or fairway, almost as a driver replacement. Probably for the higher handicapper.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Erik,

You can see my sig, right? Heh heh heh.

No, I get what you're asking... I switched (kinda) from the 904 to the TP because it was just a little more forgiving and, probably, because it was new. The shaft may have fit me a little more - I could get a little quick with the YS-6 shaft I had in the 904 and I'd make a trip to Snap Hook City once or twice a week. The 906 fixed all the flaws (all minor flaws, mind you) in the 904 and bested the r7 in a few areas, largely relating to shot shape. With the 906, I can hit the ball low, high, and with whatever curvature I'd like. Much less so with the r7 - it can be done, but it takes more work. I like the 906's sound a lot more as well. The natural ball flight with the 906 was a bit stronger as well - a little more penetrating. The TP never ballooned, it just went higher on its own than I was comfortable with. I'm not even sure it cost me any distance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have a 200 series steel head Taylor Made that I love. It's got a small head that I can hit out of light rough. Also the Taylor Made V steel you can get on ebay brand new with graphite shaft for $80.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ood&category0;=

What's in my bag
Driver: Taylor Made R7 425 9.5 degrees UST Proforce 65 shaft
3 Wood: Taylor Made V Steel 15 degrees
Taylor Made Rescue Dual 22 degrees (UST IROD shaft)
Irons: Mizuno MP-67 (bent 1 degree upright)Gap Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle 52 Sand Wedge: Mizuno R Series Black Nickle...

The V-steels are an excellent club, I used to have one but they have too much offset for me and I tended to hook the ball too much. I picked up an R7 TP used for like $120 a few months back for the more open face angle and it has been great.

I think the although the Ti might be a bit more forgiving I think the steels go a little further.

Recently went with the Burner. Love it...silly straight.

L4Vx Diamana Red
Burner 15° R
#5 3DX DC
Raptures 4-U Wedge z-z65 Shafts
SM Oil Can Vokey 56° Black Series i #1 b330

I have a TM v-steel 5 wood. I want to get it as a 3 wood too, thats how much I like it

In The Bag...

Driver: SQ Sumo 10.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto
3 Wood: Burner
Hybrid: SQ 18*Irons(3-PW): 755 w/ Dynamic Gold S30052.08*: Vokey Oil Can56.14*: Vokey Spin MilledPutter: Newport 2Ball: pro v1xShoes: Footjoy Athletics

Just got my R7 3 wood steel...and man I love it so far (only hit it about 6-7 times...with one bad shot that was my fault). It does seem a little daunting at how small the head is and how shallow the face is (guess my huge R7 460 driver is playing with my perception)...but it is lightyears ahead of my olllld king cobra 3 wood as far as ease of hit. It hit it straight....was able to put a draw on it at will. Not to mention it sounds awesome when you hit it. So far so good.

Note: This thread is 6181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!