IGNORED

Leupold GX 3i battery indicator question..

Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I look at my battery indicator, it looks like half the battery indicator (horizontally) looks like it's faded or the isn't as bright as the rest of the screen.  Is this normal?  I can't recall if it looked this way from the first day or not, but it seems apparent now.

• 2 months later...
Did you get your issue resolved with the battery display? If so, what was the problem? I have the gx-3i DNA and it also is having a battery display fading issue. I did call Leupold and they want the range finder back to investigate the issue. Probably a 3 week turn around. Sounds like they are just going to replace it for me. He said they have a lifetime guarantee.

Originally Posted by Yodapopp

Did you get your issue resolved with the battery display? If so, what was the problem? I have the gx-3i DNA and it also is having a battery display fading issue. I did call Leupold and they want the range finder back to investigate the issue. Probably a 3 week turn around. Sounds like they are just going to replace it for me. He said they have a lifetime guarantee.

Yes, I sent it back and they sent me a brand new one (sealed in plastic and everything), great customer service at Leupold.  They said probably some faulty transistor or blah..blah..blah..anyway, send it back and they should hook you up with a NEW one.  Took about 2 weeks though :(  The new one works perfect and BRIGHT battery LED display.

*ALSO - If your diopter, eyepiece, is blurry you just turn the eyepiece and it will focus to whatever range you want to focus on.  Just work it side to side and it should loosen up.  It feels like your turning a smooth microscope adjustment knob..very nice.

• 11 months later...

I had a problem with my battery indicator and the bottom bar of the tens digit in the display. I called Leupold and his first question was if I had a rayovac or panasonic battery. Apparently both of those batteries are causing issues. I was skeptical but switching to another battery cured my issue. I'm glad it didn't require a return.

• 4 years later...

I have a similar problem with my 2 1/2 year old 3xi.  I shipped it back to Leupold, and turns out the electronics are only warrantied for 2 years.  They wanted to sell me another one at a discount, but would not honor the warranty because it was over 2 years.  That part is buried in parentheses in their "statement" about supporting their products for a lifetime.  

All in all, I paid for a premium product that is barely working.  If you buy Leupold, I hope you have better luck, but if that display starts fading, don't wait to return it!

On 8/26/2013 at 4:30 AM, Vic Woods said:

I had a problem with my battery indicator and the bottom bar of the tens digit in the display. I called Leupold and his first question was if I had a rayovac or panasonic battery. Apparently both of those batteries are causing issues. I was skeptical but switching to another battery cured my issue. I'm glad it didn't require a return.

51 minutes ago, gregtb said:

I have a similar problem with my 2 1/2 year old 3xi.  I shipped it back to Leupold, and turns out the electronics are only warrantied for 2 years.  They wanted to sell me another one at a discount, but would not honor the warranty because it was over 2 years.  That part is buried in parentheses in their "statement" about supporting their products for a lifetime.  

All in all, I paid for a premium product that is barely working.  If you buy Leupold, I hope you have better luck, but if that display starts fading, don't wait to return it!

Are you sure it wasn't a battery issue?

Even though I only understand the general technology of LCD type displays having used them for many decades in some of my designs, I don't know the exact details of the Leupold design. It's totally possible that their circuitry relies on that extra 0.1V one brand of battery gives versus the "other brands"?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Are you sure it wasn't a battery issue?

Even though I only understand the general technology of LCD type displays having used them for many decades in some of my designs, I don't know the exact details of the Leupold design. It's totally possible that their circuitry relies on that extra 0.1V one brand of battery gives versus the "other brands"?

The fading was gradual, it started out fine with a new battery.  Replacing the battery (same type) made no difference.  I sent it back to Leupold, and have to assume if it was a battery issue, they would have told me.  They sent it back as it was.

I have one as well and I'm also having the fading problem.  Pretty sure it's well over 2 years old at this point, so I'll probably just switch to Bushnell one of these days.

6 minutes ago, gregtb said:

The fading was gradual, it started out fine with a new battery.  Replacing the battery (same type) made no difference.  I sent it back to Leupold, and have to assume if it was a battery issue, they would have told me.  They sent it back as it was.

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I have one as well and I'm also having the fading problem.  Pretty sure it's well over 2 years old at this point, so I'll probably just switch to Bushnell one of these days.

Wow, poor design. What a shame for the company. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Bushnell does the same thing, sometimes worse.

It depends on several things, but weather and usage patterns matter, too.

I have a Bushnell that you have to strain to see, and it was barely used. It's about three years old, though.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Bushnell does the same thing, sometimes worse.

It depends on several things, but weather and usage patterns matter, too.

I have a Bushnell that you have to strain to see, and it was barely used. It's about three years old, though.

Perhaps these things just have a life span of 2-3 years then. :)

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Perhaps these things just have a life span of 2-3 years then. :)

Some of them. And I suspect LED/LCD/OLED whatever-tech-they're-using is getting better.

FWIW I have one Leupold with a slightly faded display, and a Bushnell that's faded a bit worse. Natalie's Leupold and my other two are perfectly fine.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Some of them. And I suspect LED/LCD/OLED whatever-tech-they're-using is getting better.

FWIW I have one Leupold with a slightly faded display, and a Bushnell that's faded a bit worse. Natalie's Leupold and my other two are perfectly fine.

I appreciate the feedback.  And you are right, the technology must be improving.  I am old school, the thought of being asked to pay more when the policy is stated as repair or replace just makes me want to do business elsewhere.  Possibly frying pan to the fire!  I will work my dying 3i as long as I can and then look elsewhere, hoping the next company supports their products better.  

I guess my real frustration is that it was likely a lemon, one of a very few, I sent it back, they know it, and refused to honor their word.  There are a lot of happy customers out there.  But I am not alone.  Luck of the draw.

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, gregtb said:

I appreciate the feedback.  And you are right, the technology must be improving.  I am old school, the thought of being asked to pay more when the policy is stated as repair or replace just makes me want to do business elsewhere. 

That's the policy for IN-WARRANTY items.

Yours was out of warranty.

Possibly frying pan to the fire!  I will work my dying 3i as long as I can and then look elsewhere, hoping the next company supports their products better.

I responded elsewhere: two years is the standard policy for rangefinders. Bushnell, Nikon, others. You won't even get two years if you go with the cheapie ones.

I guess my real frustration is that it was likely a lemon, one of a very few, I sent it back, they know it, and refused to honor their word.  There are a lot of happy customers out there.  But I am not alone.  Luck of the draw.

You don't get to continue to lie about this: they honored their word. The warranty is two years for electronics. Optics have a lifetime guarantee.

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

That's the policy for IN-WARRANTY items.

Yours was out of warranty.

I responded elsewhere: two years is the standard policy for rangefinders. Bushnell, Nikon, others. You won't even get two years if you go with the cheapie ones.

You don't get to continue to lie about this: they honored their word. The warranty is two years for electronics. Optics have a lifetime guarantee.

You call it a lie, I stated the product was defective at purchase.  Are you a shill for Leupold?  How do you have the right to call me a liar for the experience I have gone through??? 

Please unsubscribe, or at least no longer reply to my post.  You are less than helpful.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, gregtb said:

You call it a lie, I stated the product was defective at purchase.

More lies:

5 hours ago, gregtb said:

And later…

4 hours ago, gregtb said:

C'mon, buddy. I understand that you're pissed, but you could have read up on the warranty. It's pretty clearly written on the site.

5 minutes ago, gregtb said:

How do you have the right to call me a liar for the experience I have gone through???

How are you NOT lying? You've lied at least twice:

• Their warranty is not a lifetime warranty. You've said it was.
  • You said it was defective at the time of purchase.

Whatever man.

To answer your other question, I'm not a shill. Just a happy, satisfied customer, and as a human being, a person who likes it when people are accountable, and also someone who really dislikes lies and those who spread 'em. :-)

Your complaint and story has been heard. Leupold won't see a dime from you. We get it.

So, rather than telling me to stop posting on my site, you're welcome to take the same advice.

You call it a lie, I stated the product was defective at purchase.  Are you a shill for Leupold?  How do you have the right to call me a liar for the experience I have gone through??? 

Please unsubscribe, or at least no longer reply to my post.  You are less than helpful.

I had the same experience with my GX 1. I sent it back and was told it was out of warranty. I was given the same offer as you (discount on a new one) which to me is more than fair considering b they'd have been well within their rights to just say that it wasn't covered and leave it at that. 

You are claiming that they aren't honoring their warranty when they really are and even gave you an alternative. That's why you're being called a liar. You are lying. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

7 minutes ago, tristanhilton85 said:

I had the same experience with my GX 1. I sent it back and was told it was out of warranty. I was given the same offer as you (discount on a new one) which to me is more than fair considering b they'd have been well within their rights to just say that it wasn't covered and leave it at that. 

You are claiming that they aren't honoring their warranty when they really are and even gave you an alternative. That's why you're being called a liar. You are lying. 

Ahhh SoCal,  right.  Calling people liars, expecting that people just accept they were ripped off, thanks for the input.  Helpful, NOT.  I did not buy their cheapest offering.  I did not do math on upgrading my defect.  Why not just buy the 3x?  But thanks for whatever point you were trying to make except for calling someone you have never net a liar.  Tells me a lot about you and makes whatever you say next worthless.  

Note: This thread is 1841 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!