IGNORED

Practice Routines

JKilgore44
Note: This thread is 6168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Okay, I've been playing a lot lately and I haven't got to spend much time at the range. I've been hurting myself on the course with my wedges. I feel like I should be hitting it closer to the pin when I'm inside 100yds and leaving myself shorter birdie putts. Today I am going to the range and I want to hear about certain practice routines you all use to improve your short game.

I'm thinking about buying two buckets today and keeping one strictly for wedges. Any better thoughts?
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

That could work--I don't have the stamina in the summer heat to hit two buckets of balls, but I buy the largest one possible, and hit at least 50 wedge shots at first. I'll hit 20, 30, 50, 70, and 100 yard chips and pitches with all three wedges (except the 60 degree wedge - my max range is 80). Then I'll hit full pitching wedge shots, and then a 7 iron, and on up to driver.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Okay, I've been playing a lot lately and I haven't got to spend much time at the range. I've been hurting myself on the course with my wedges. I feel like I should be hitting it closer to the pin when I'm inside 100yds and leaving myself shorter birdie putts. Today I am going to the range and I want to hear about certain practice routines you all use to improve your short game.

Does your course have a short game practice area? You would do better practicing chipping and putting using the balls you use to play. I used to spend a great deal of time chipping range balls, only to realize that it didn't translate to the course.

I realize that won't happen with your wedge approaches, unless your short game area is 100 yards long.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

that's a really good point. I spend a lot of time hitting pitch shots with range balls only to realize that they don't react the same way as my "game" balls. This area of my game is really hurting my score. I've been making improvements, but I'm still not consistently getting up and down.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:

If you have a short game practice range at your course or a facility close by you can buy a whole bunch of the balls you typically play from a re-seller (used balls, but in good shape) for a steep discount to use for pratice. The facility by me gives you range balls, but usually there is a mix of range and older regular ball.

But if you buy x-outs or used balls matching the brand you play, don't forget to get the shag bag. I think rock bottom golf sells the bag filled with balls, but I may be mistaken.

In my Grom:
Driver: :nike: Sasquatch 9.5° Graffalloy Shaft-Stiff Flex
FW: :nike: 3 (15°) & 5 (19°) Sasquatch Diamana Shaft-Stiff Flex
Hybrid: :touredge: Tour Edge Exotics Ironwood 21° Adila Shaft-Stiff Flex
Irons: :nike: 4-AW OSS Steel Shaft-Stiff Flex
Wedges: :vokey: Vokey Spin Milled 54 and 60
Putter:  :edel: Basic Series 

But if you buy x-outs or used balls matching the brand you play, don't forget to get the shag bag. I think rock bottom golf sells the bag filled with balls, but I may be mistaken.

As far as practicing my short game, the shag bag has been a big help. When I use UCLA's pitching area, it encourages me to hit all my shots well and to the same region so that I don't have to walk much to pick 'em all up Something that I've found has helped my short game (although I need to go play a few regulation rounds so that my handicap can reflect this) is playing executive and par-3 courses, especially the ones with a small handful of short holes.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Man it really sucks because my home course (The Texas A&M; campus course) doesn't have very good practice facilities and no par-3 course. As a matter of fact, the entire town doesn't have any practice facilities. I am limited to on-the-course practice and range balls . To compensate, I'll try to practice as many different shots as I can on the 18th hole at about 8:00 when I'm finishing and nobody else is out there.

What I play:

Where I play:

Note: This thread is 6168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!