IGNORED

13 vs 15 Degree Fairway Wood???

Note: This thread is 6182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wanted to hear from those who have used 13 degree fwy woods and what their experience was hitting off the turf??? significant distance difference?? much harder to hit??

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

I use a 13-degree 3+ fairway wood. Since I don't have a 15-degree 3-wood, I don't know the difference in distance between the two but would guess it's not much, ten yards maybe?

I don't find the 13-degree fairway wood any more difficult to hit that my 17-degree fairway wood. Both are very easy to hit off the fairway or for tee shots when my driver isn't needed. There are three or four par-4 holes on my home course where I generally hit the 13-degree fairway wood off the tee instead of the driver.

I play a 13 as well. I wanted the stronger loft primarily for the tee box. My 13* is actually only about 10-20 yards shorter than my driver. While I am pretty consistent with it in the fairway, I definitely wouldn't say that it's as easy to hit as a 15. It took quite a lot of effort at the range to get comfortable off the grass. I only get the extra yards on perfect contact and I'm still not super confident without a tee under the ball.

In my bag -

MacGregor V-Foil 13º
Lynx Fairway Metal 18º
TM SuperSteel Burner 3-PWSrixon I-201 56ºPurespin Wedges 52º & 60º

Not much difference in terms of difficulty. I get more roll on my 13 degree and also use it to tee off. Prefer smaller heads compared to the bigger head 3 or 3+ woods that are usually produced these days.
Driver
909D2 9.5º w/ Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum Stiff

Woods
909F2 13.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway Stiff 909F2 18.5º w/ Aldila Voodoo Fairway StiffIrons MP60 3-PW w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold Sensicore S300Wedges Vokey Design 200 Series Tour Chrome 52-08 w/ True Temper Dynamic Gold S200...

I switched to a 13 this year as there are a couple doglegs at my home course that require a bit longer carry than I was getting with a 15. I have not had any trouble hitting it off the deck.
In the bag

909D3 8.5 Matrix Ozik XCon 7 X
Burner TP 14.5 Fujikura RE*AX SF TP 75 X
Idea Pro 20 RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour (2005) 4-PW RP Project X 6.0 X-Tour Chrome Wedges 50 and 54 RP Project X 5.5 X-Tour Vintage 60 w/ PM grind Teryllium Ten Newport 2 34" ProV1X

I'm in a similar boat as the rest. I switched to a 13 degree to use off the tee on certain holes. With that said, hitting it off the deck is the same as my old 15 degree 3-wood. On an ideal hit for me, the launch is a little lower (as would be expected), so I have to keep an eye on what is in front of the green or make sure I can put enough spin on it to stop before it rolls off the back of the green. It's all just a strategy change really. My swing, because of my height, is descending and I usually hit the ball on a high trajectory. So the decreased loft has not been an issue for me, but I would imagine it might for some who have a flatter swing or launch trajectory.

Scott Sandlin
ROLL TIDE!

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10.5 deg, Stiff
Fairway: Taylormade R7 Steel 13 deg, Wilson Deep Red II Distance 18 deg, StiffIrons: Titleist 735.cm 3-PW, DG S300, +1.5", +4 deg upWedge: Titleist Vokey SM 53 deg and 59 degPutter: Scotty Cameron Santa Fe 33"Ball: Titleist...

I have a 15 deg Launcher Steel and a 13 degree Launcher Comp. For me I just don't see the point of a 13 degree 3 wood. I find it a little more difficult to hit off the deck but not a lot. 2 degrees harder I want my 3 wood to be a controlled club and my driver is 10.5 degrees. I think it really depends on what you want the 3 wood for. If you like to use it off the tee a 13 degree might be good to get a little more distance. If you primarily hit a driver off the tee then a 15 degree, I find, is better off the turf. It really boils down to what you are comfortable with and if you are comfortable hitting a 13 degree off the deck then by all means fire away!

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I generally always hit driver off the tee b/c seem the most comfortable with it.......i will be using the 3 woood primarily off the deck and less often from the tee box...

In My Bag

Taylormade Burner 09 TP 9.5 Fujikura REAX 65 S
Cleveland Launcher 2009 15 UST V2 75 S
Cleveland Launcher Steel 19 UST V2 75 STitleist 585 H 21 Aldila VS Proto STaylormade R7 TP 4-PW DG S300 StiffTaylormade TP Satin 54 and 58Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2Taylormade TP...

I just brought my S300 13.5 975F back to life by sticking a V2 in it. It's transformed the club, and is exactly what I needed as far as low trajectory and distance.

I hit a high ball, and the 13.5 suits me well. I usually pull it out once or twice a round when dealing with a certain par 5 that always plays into a stiff ocean wind or a certain dogleg teeshot.

I'm lefty and a traditionalist that's very loyal to what I've purchased and put in the bag, so I really don't demo/experiment with other/new clubs and lofts much (read: no experience with what one might call a modern-day 15* 3-wood).

I have had both. 13* Titleist and 15* Cleveland. The Cleveland goes much higher and the 13 is more of a fairway driver. But I think it is more a degrre of the shaft than the 2*.

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

i play a 13.5 975f as well.. off the tee its straighter then my driver.. and goes about 240-260... usually 240-250 tho. off the fairway its no more difficult to hit than any other 3 wood ive hit. i used to be able to hit it very well but lately ive been topping a few of them, but i doubt thats a club problem. i actually think the 13.5 flies too high for me.. maybe i'll go with a new shaft as well. it already needs a new grip anyways.

I originally had a 15 degree. I switched to the 13 degree primarily for the lower launch as I have a fairly high ball flight.

I haven't had any issues with it off the deck.
Driver: TM R7 SuperQuad 9.5*, RE*AX Stiff
3 Wood: TM R7 TP, 13*, Fujikura Stiff

Hybrids: TM Rescue Dual TPs 2, 3, and 4, Mitsubishi Diamana Stiff
Irons: 2-PW TM R7 TP, DG S300Gap Wedge: Callaway X-Tour 52*Lob Wedge: Callway X-Tour 58* PM GrindPutter: Odyssey White Steel #5Ball: Callaway HX-Tour2, 3,...

Note: This thread is 6182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!