IGNORED

Beau Hossler gets Congressional invite

TN94z
Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I blame his parents.  His dad really pushed him hard from a young age.  Then gave him too much freedom to be an idiot when he turned pro.  I remember hearing a story about how he was supposed to play a round with Arnie at Bay Hill.  This was shortly after he turned pro and the whole world was talking about him.  He showed up 45 minutes late for his tee time, then sped into the Bay Hill lot with his music blaring so loud you could hear it on the first tee.  Arnie just walked off and they told Ty to go home.

Which is a great example of why there's a minimum age (or there should be one if there isn't) to turn pro.

Would he have been better off passing up those millions in endorsements, burning out in college and getting zero dollars? That is about as likely as going to college and becoming a regular tour pro. As far as long careers, Duval was pretty much finished at 30. Shit happens and there is something said for taking the money when it is available.

And before you focus too much on Ty, look at a guy like Rory who turned pro at 17. Has he had some growing pains? Sure. But I am guessing playing the pros helped his game more than playing a bunch of amateur tournaments. Without knowing Beau (and even the people that know him would struggle to get this right) it is hard to say how the pro life would affect him.

Originally Posted by Infamous 273

debacle as in after he survived q school at 17 in 2001, and then promptly vanished off the face of the earth a few years later.  do you think knowing then what he knows now, he'd still choose to turn pro so young?

Originally Posted by x129

Would he have been better off passing up those millions in endorsements, burning out in college and getting zero dollars? That is about as likely as going to college and becoming a regular tour pro. As far as long careers, Duval was pretty much finished at 30. Shit happens and there is something said for taking the money when it is available.

And before you focus too much on Ty, look at a guy like Rory who turned pro at 17. Has he had some growing pains? Sure. But I am guessing playing the pros helped his game more than playing a bunch of amateur tournaments. Without knowing Beau (and even the people that know him would struggle to get this right) it is hard to say how the pro life would affect him.

I think there is more to be lost than gained by Beau turning pro right now.  If he has the game he'll be fine in 3 or 4 years when he wants to turn pro.  The US Amateur and NCAA golf are competitive and will help his game.  It wouldn't be to good for him to go pro, then struggle to make the cut week in and week out.  I personally don't think he has the game Rory had at his age.  I definitely think the kid has a ways to go from the mental aspect.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Curios how much he would have made from the finish he had at the Open? No sponsor money just prize money. Also what kind of exemption, if any, would he have? Does get automatically get into next years Open now?

Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles

Curios how much he would have made from the finish he had at the Open? No sponsor money just prize money. Also what kind of exemption, if any, would he have? Does get automatically get into next years Open now?

A tie for 29th paid $53,168.  So roughly $50K if he had factored in there.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Not bad for a kid. 50k could cover travel and fees for a year maybe two. Add to that any exemptions and sponsor deals, he could have set up 5 years worth of expenses covered to try and make it?

It'll be fun to keep an eye on him. Living in Dallas I may try and make it to one of his tourneys if he still heads to school. I'll be rooting him on at ATT for sure!

Top-10 finishers are automatically exempt into next year's Open.  He'll probably be exempt from local qualifying next year.  He'll make the finals of one of the Am tournaments, most likely, and qualify that way.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Didn't Michelle Wie turn pro at like 15? I don't think there is a minimum age to turn pro.

Driver - Cobra S3 9.5* - Mitsubishi Rayon JavlnFX M7 
Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Wedges - Cleveland 588 54*, Ping Tour 58*
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Can't anyone declare themselves as a pro? I think the main issue is being eligible to get a tour card. I could be wrong, but there was that issue with a 16 or 17 year old getting an LPGA tour card because she was under 18.

Originally Posted by pixel5

Didn't Michelle Wie turn pro at like 15? I don't think there is a minimum age to turn pro.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Anyone can declare to be pro? Well in that case, I'M A PRO. WHERE IS MY MONEY?

Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Anyone can declare to be pro? Well in that case, I'M A PRO. WHERE IS MY MONEY?

go and earn it, like every other professional golfer does.

LPGA rules may be different. And I don't think Wie turned pro at 15 - she played in LPGA events that young, but I believe she was an amateur.

Not bad for a kid. 50k could cover travel and fees for a year maybe two. Add to that any exemptions and sponsor deals, he could have set up 5 years worth of expenses covered to try and make it?

It'll be fun to keep an eye on him. Living in Dallas I may try and make it to one of his tourneys if he still heads to school. I'll be rooting him on at ATT for sure!

Oh no way, not even close. That's maybe a few months (max) travel expenses. Don't forget caddy fees, entry fees, etc.

I think I saw somewhere that a typical touring pro's expenses are around $200k annually...?

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Oh no way, not even close. That's maybe a few months (max) travel expenses. Don't forget caddy fees, entry fees, etc.

I think I saw somewhere that a typical touring pro's expenses are around $200k annually...?

Caddies traditionally get 5%, 7%, and 10% of the players check for cut, top 10, and win finishes.

I doubt $200k for traveling and touring expenses unless you're taking private jets. 20-30 tournaments a year, some places they get a free room. Plane tickets and food for the player and caddy are probably $500-1000 per tourney depending on location. So I think $20k per year in expenses is more likely for the low-key tour pro.

EDIT: Entry fees are a non-issue, as PGA tour card holders do not pay an entry fee for PGA events. The Open Championship requires a $162 entry fee.

Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Caddies traditionally get 5%, 7%, and 10% of the players check for cut, top 10, and win finishes.

I doubt $200k for traveling and touring expenses unless you're taking private jets. 20-30 tournaments a year, some places they get a free room. Plane tickets and food for the player and caddy are probably $500-1000 per tourney depending on location. So I think $20k per year in expenses is more likely for the low-key tour pro.

EDIT: Entry fees are a non-issue, as PGA tour card holders do not pay an entry fee for PGA events. The Open Championship requires a $162 entry fee.

On top of a base. Whether the pro makes the cut (and therefore makes a check) or not, the caddy gets paid.

I'll concede I may be high with the $200k estimate, but no way is it only $20k a year. I think it has to be at least six figures. Can someone who knows confirm?

I'm not sure why some think this kid is going to turn pro - so quickly - just because he's had some success?  There have been dozens of kids, like Hossler that have flashed potential as an amateur, and still go through the process of continuing on with their education and working on their game before they make the move to the professional circuits.

Unless the kid starts placing top 10's and 5's during these invites - regularly... I believe he has every intention to go to Texas to play collegiate golf.  And like Cantlay - could decide to turn pro at a later date.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelnoer/2012/02/08/ben-martin-pga-tour/ has a guy saying 110k is the minimum. A lot is going to come down to how much support staff you need and how you pay them.  If you have a personal trainer, swing coach, short game coach, mental coach, agent,... you can easier burn through 100k plus all the travel. It isn't cheap being on the road 20+ weeks a year even with some comped items.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

On top of a base. Whether the pro makes the cut (and therefore makes a check) or not, the caddy gets paid.

I'll concede I may be high with the $200k estimate, but no way is it only $20k a year. I think it has to be at least six figures. Can someone who knows confirm?

I was just referring to TRAVEL costs.

Of course it's going to be 6 digits for total expenses as a pro.

Fwy - Titleist 904F 18*
Irons - Mizuno MP-14
Putter - Ping D66 (iWi)

Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!