IGNORED

My Swing (mnshooter)

mnshooter
Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 25

My typical ball flight is: fade

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  no distance with irons .

I've always been somewhat short with my irons.  Lately they have been even shorter.  Sometimes my 7 iron will only go 115, at most it goes 140.  My wedges are very short.  My 54 and 60 degrees both go about 60 yards on a full swing.  What is my problem?

My driver carries 240-260 or so.  I typically outdrive my playing partners but I'm 2-3 clubs shorter with my irons.  I've went to see an instructor for a couple of lessons but no real increase in iron distance yet.

Videos:

Here's my 50 degree, it's going about 75 yards.

I'll add some more video shortly.

Some more info.  My instructor has me working on the following.

First lesson.  Stand more upright, don't bend over as much.  Turn right forearm before impact to square clubface.  Backswing more upright.

Second lesson.  Get weight over right foot on backswing.  Turn left shoulder more over right foot on backswing.  Put towel under armpits to stay connected.  To practice backswing, lift arms up, cock wrist, turn to practice backswing.  Kind of like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ4roE_oW_M

Third lesson is in a couple days.

I also notice my hands seem too close to my body at setup, I'm not making a full backswing and my front foot is spinning out on my downswing.   I used to flip horribly.  In trying to get rid of my flip I've lost distance.  Some days all my irons 4-P only go about 115, .

I'm wondering if my irons are a bad fit for me.  They are R7 TP +1 inch, DG SL X100 shafts.  I think I need a regular or stiff shaft.  I'm thinking of getting some GI irons such as Burner 2.0 to help with distance.  Also get fit for irons.  Is this a good idea?

Also my wedges seem too short.  It looks like my grip is between my knees.  I'm 6'0"  and my wrists are 37" from the ground.  They are stock TM wedges.  Maybe they just need to be bent a few degrees upright and add 1/2" onto the shafts.

Thanks for any comments.

Well, since nobody else has commented I'll throw my 2 cents in. I do believe that once you start fixing your swing, keep in mind things will most likely get worse before you get better. So I wouldn't worry alot about your distance yet. The first pic set is affirming what your instructor said about your posture. Add to that balance. Your shoulders are way out over your toes, you cannot be balanced. Look at Rory Mcilroys posture, perfect.

comb.bmp

The yellow line is your shoulder, notice how your arms are hanging straight down (properly) with your driver, but you're still out past your toes. In the first pic, with your wedge, you are not only bent over further, you are badly slouching, you have pulled your hands in to your body to compensate for a short club. You should maintain virtually the same posture with every club. What changes as the clubs get shorter is the angle from your wrists to the club shaft. Then you step closer to the ball. Try to get your posture right by setting up infront of a mirror at home. Get comfortable with that new feel before heading to the range.

Second, your lost power. I've just taken a few screen shots of you vs Ernie Els. I know it's not a fair comparison! But pay attention to the club lag that Ernie has. Your club releases too early causing you to lose club speed. You are probably getting great club speed about midway through your downswing, but have lost it at impact. You should try to have your hands ahead of the ball at impact.

I hope this helps a little. I know there are plenty of real instructors on this site, hopefully they can add to this.

comp2.bmp

Thanks for the reply,

I've got lots of problems, haha

This seems to coincide with what I've been working on with my instructor.  We haven't really gotten to the downswing yet.  Still working on getting proper setup and backswing.  He wants me to stand taller and have my weight on my heels.  He also mentioned the angle of the club. I'm going to get fit for some clubs as I think these don't fit right.  When I have my arms in the correct position the heel is off the ground.

For the backswing swing more upright, get weight over right foot and get rid of being layed off.

I've been trying to get my hands more forward and get the handle ahead for the last couple of years. I can do it fine with a half swing but not with a full swing.  When I do get the hands ahead I either have the clubface way too open or my angle of attack gets too steep and I start hurting my right hand from the ground.  I'm going to try turning my left arm to get the clubface more square and see if that helps.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by reedf

Well, since nobody else has commented I'll throw my 2 cents in. I do believe that once you start fixing your swing, keep in mind things will most likely get worse before you get better. So I wouldn't worry alot about your distance yet. The first pic set is affirming what your instructor said about your posture. Add to that balance. Your shoulders are way out over your toes, you cannot be balanced. Look at Rory Mcilroys posture, perfect.

The camera angle being so tilted has a little to do with that.

I recommend the guy in the photos (and you too reedf if you'd like, of course) read this: http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture/ .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4324 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!