IGNORED

Etiquette question - girlfriend watching from cart

TJBam
Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

You should know as well as anyone else on here shorty, that golf courses can be as good of an evening walk as a park or lake. He didn't specify 18 holes. I bet he only does 9 with her.
Plus women are weird and like hanging out with their guy even if they do not care for the activity. That is the truly messed up part.

One of saddest things you'll ever see is a guy playing cricket all afternoon while the girlfriend sits there and watches.

My opinion is that anyone who has a girlfriend who is happy to watch him play sport and not participate needs a new girlfriend.

It's punishment to make people play cricket all day long let alone watch it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBam View Post

Is it bad etiquette to have a girl watching from the cart?  Sometimes the marshal will pair us with other golfers.  My girlfriend is always friendly to marshals and other golfers but I am worried that it is considered "rude" or otherwise makes other golfers feel uncomfortable.

Thoughts?

How does she look in a sun dress? C'mon i wasn't the only one who thought that!!

Well if she is just wearing a starfish or whatever it was in his first avatar, that might be a distraction.

Originally Posted by Shorty

Yes. From a relationship point of view it's dreadful etiquette.

Why on earth would she be wanting to sit in a cart for half a day while you are doing your thing?

She should have her own things to do or you should be doing something together.

Her sitting watching you do something is not doing something together.

She enjoys the gorgeous course, and likes to have a drink and read a book.  It's very relaxing for both of us.

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

How does she look in a sun dress? C'mon i wasn't the only one who thought that!!

Is it worse etiquette if she is stunningly cute and therefore very distracting... or absolutely hideous and makes everyone want to pack it up and go home?? LOL

Wait, no one said "Just kidding" yet.... you guys actually have wives/girlfriends that will volunteer to watch you golf? I can't even leave the room on NFL Sundays for 10 seconds to grab a beer without hearing the channel suddenly change from the voice of Terry Bradshaw and Howie to "Real Housewives of New Jersey"....

If I asked her to watch me golf, she'd laugh... tell me I'm handicapped and walk away lol.

Originally Posted by ThreeYellows

I don't understand why someone would want their wife/girlfriend to ride along...completely defeats the purpose.

I agree. That is man-time and time to forget about literally everything (for at least a few hours anyway...)

I don't understand why someone would want their wife/girlfriend to ride along...completely defeats the purpose.

I agree to an extent. I play so much golf by myself, so once in a while it is nice to have someone watch my tantrums. Unfortunately my girlfriend confuses frustration with actual anger and does not like seeing me upset. I am a fairly low key guy when I am not hitting poor shots. She doesn't know what to say so she just watches me and from afar lol.

If I only played once a week I would definitely go by myself or with friends but I play 4-5 times a week, and I can only talk to myself so much.

One of saddest things you'll ever see is a guy playing cricket all afternoon while the girlfriend sits there and watches.

My opinion is that anyone who has a girlfriend who is happy to watch him play sport and not participate needs a new girlfriend.

It's not really comparable to your girlfriend sitting on the side of the court while you're playing basketball for two hours.

Originally Posted by TJBam

She enjoys the gorgeous course, and likes to have a drink and read a book.  It's very relaxing for both of us.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and your girl sounds pretty damn cool to me.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

• Administrator

Good gosh, what kinds of relationships do you guys have?

I'll go out at 6:30 to hit some balls and play a few holes and my wife will come along sometimes. She'll read, she'll play on her phone, whatever. Same stuff she'd be doing at home, but she gets to be outside and we get to chat too. I'll never be in a rush so I won't try to play through any groups, so rather than stand there for five minutes, we'll talk.

Marriage is about making time for each other and that's one of the ways we'll sometimes do it. She gets to be outside, reading, and I get a little practice in.

Does she come along when I'm playing a round with three other guys? No. But that's not what we're talking about here.

• Upvote 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I'll go out at 6:30 to hit some balls and play a few holes and my wife will come along sometimes. She'll read, she'll play on her phone, whatever. Same stuff she'd be doing at home, but she gets to be outside and we get to chat too. I'll never be in a rush so I won't try to play through any groups, so rather than stand there for five minutes, we'll talk.

Marriage is about making time for each other and that's one of the ways we'll sometimes do it. She gets to be outside, reading, and I get a little practice in.

Does she come along when I'm playing a round with three other guys? No. But that's not what we're talking about here.

Amen brother

My Bag:

Burner 9.5

X 3&5 Woods

DCI Gold 3- PW(48*) + 52* Vokey wedge

56* sand wedge

Cushin Putter

Originally Posted by iacas

Well said.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

One consideration involves course rules on access to golf course. On some courses I have seen postings such as "No joggers, bicyclists or spectators permitted," while another one posted "No spectators allowed on the course proper."

The access rules arise from legal considerations: Golf balls are hard objects, and joggers or bikers who get bonked might try to sue the course. If they have on iPod earphones, they won't hear you yell fore.

If your significant other is going to ride with you for 18 holes, the course might charge the person a cart fee but no greens fee. It's always best to phone ahead if you will have a non-player with your group.

I have seen courses with related access rules on children. Even without posted kid rules, use your judgment. For pre-schoolers, the issue is attention span. Little kids like to run around and change focus every five minutes. It's cruel to expect them to sit quietly in a cart for 2 hours while you play golf.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My wife doesn't play  (took her to a range when we were dating years ago,  and she's quite possibly a lost cause)

My buddy's wife DOES golf.... and they get along.   I've tossed around the idea of my wife going for a ride-along,  so we could go out as a group,  but I'm not sure my wife would have any interest in it....  she does enjoy watching tournaments on T.V. with me,  so perhaps.

Then again.....  someone's gotta watch the kids!

The best situation is to find yourself a girl that wants to play.

I love the fact that my girl wanted to play with me ( ) from our very first date. That took a while, but she has been playing about 2 years now and is just getting to the point where she will crush (relatively speaking) a drive and give me that 'yeah, uh huh' look, or start smack talking when I hit one poorly. Good times.

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 3854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!