IGNORED

My Swing (kw purp)

kw purp
Note: This thread is 4284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 12

My typical ball flight is: Draw

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Fade/Slice

Videos:

KW welcome to the site.  Looks like you are a pretty tall athletic guy. So you have the build to hit the ball really well.  I watched your swing and you have a lot of things to work on... But here are a few that I'd recommend you work on first.

Pre-Shot Alignment

The following image has two frames.   The frame on the left is you looking at your target - before you take your address.  Your stance line is far - far right of your target.  You can tell you are looking at the flag on the par 3 which I believe is on the yellow line.  The red line is your stance line.  Far right of the intended target.  The red dots are where your shoulders are.  It appears to me your left shoulder is open.  So your shoulders are open and your feet are closed.  While your clubface  looks to be aimed closer to the intended target (perhaps just right of the target).

In order to get your club on plane - you gotta get your shoulders closed like your feet.  You state that you hit a draw - but if I were to guess - you hit a big hook.  Close your shoulders to the target.  And do not aim that far right of your target.  In my opinion you are too closed.

Now to the swing...  But before I comment on the swing... First and foremost - I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like you are scared.  Like you rush your shot to get the ball away from you as quickly as possible.  Having a quick routine is one thing, but you look really too quick / fast. Take a deep breath or something, exhale then make a swing.  You only posted one swing, but dang, you really just walked up and whaled on it.  LOL.  Slow down a little.  You're not on a clock and don't get points for hitting the ball faster than your opponent.

You need to work on your arms and wrist cock.  In particular your swing is so fast - and long - that you are breaking down the primary lever assembly.  Your left arm needs to be straight during the entire backswing and through impact.  The left arm doesn't fold until far after the ball is gone.  You can see that the left arm actually bends at the top of the backswing (A4) - because your back swing is so fast and long.

Watch this video which talks about what the left arm does in the swing.  And how the left arm needs to stay straight.

Secondly, your swing plane is very flat.  The yellow lines on the frame at A3 is your club shaft in the backswing.  The red line is where the club shaft should be.  The club needs to be more vertical at A3.  You're way off plane at A3.  And at A4 - your left arm is not on plane.

Watch this video which talks about how to get the club more vertical on the takeaway.

And lastly - watch this video to understand how to get your left arm - on plane at A4 with your shoulders.  Josh Zander is a solid instructor.  I like how he communicates.  But I'm not crazy with what he does with his right elbow in this video.  But I like how he shows the golfer what a 'One Plane' backswing is.  Which is primarily getting your left arm on the same plane as your shoulders.

Hopefully these videos help.  If you have any questions, just post here.  There are a lot of helpful users here and we'll try and answer your questions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

wow thank you for putting all that effort in Beachcomber. I can definitely see my alignment is way off. With my shoulders open like that it makes for pulls/hooks which contributes why i have the bad alignment. My backswing is definitely too far inside and quick. Left arm straight issue is apparent as well. I appreciate the input and definitely will give these things some work at the range today

Originally Posted by walk18

Maybe lose the gym shorts and put on a polo at the course, too. (I mean that in the nicest way possible.)

Let him wear whatever he wants, this is why half of the golf players have retired, it's just a game and if you want to wear a "proper" dress that's fine with me but we live in the 21th century.

First reply hit a lot of the things I saw. The shoulders are a little open but it looks to me your shoulders come into alignment with the rest of your body at the top of your swing. If you find yourself not able to start the ball down the line when your alignment is correct, try shortening your backswing along with slowing it. May help keep your shoulders aligned with the rest of your body throughout the swing. Also seems you are trying to get too much power out of your upper body specifically your right side. Think of your power coming from your left side vs your right....More pulling the club through the ball with your leading side than pushing it into the ball with your right side....for anyone reading I'm not much of an experienced teacher so if I'm wrong please correct me.

Originally Posted by cnesmith

First reply hit a lot of the things I saw. The shoulders are a little open but it looks to me your shoulders come into alignment with the rest of your body at the top of your swing. If you find yourself not able to start the ball down the line when your alignment is correct, try shortening your backswing along with slowing it. May help keep your shoulders aligned with the rest of your body throughout the swing. Also seems you are trying to get too much power out of your upper body specifically your right side. Think of your power coming from your left side vs your right....More pulling the club through the ball with your leading side than pushing it into the ball with your right side....for anyone reading I'm not much of an experienced teacher so if I'm wrong please correct me.

The right tricep is really the only 'active' muscle that powers the swing from the arms.  The left arm is simply along for the ride.

IMO, the biggest issue he needs to work on is the transition.  His backswing is so quick and violent - he is losing rythm and timing.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4284 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!