IGNORED

Does winning a contest that gives free equipment effect my NCAA eligibility?

zanga254
Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that seems like a very stupid question but I can't seem to find the answer or understand the answers that are given. The contest is The ********* 10k prize giveaway.The prizes are as follows (excuse the ginormous font):

Grand Prize

(1) TaylorMade Driver with Custom Shaft, (2) TaylorMade Fairway Woods

(2) Adams Hybrids, (1) Set of Mizuno Irons

(3) SCOR Wedges, (1) Bettinardi Tour Custom Putter

(12) Dozen Bridgestone Golf Balls, (1) Bushnell NEO+ GPS Watch

(1) ********* Custom Bag from Custom Golf Bags Online , (2) Complete Golf Outfits from Sub70USA

(1) Pair of TRUE Linkswear Stealth Golf Shoes

Approximate Retail Value : $5,200

2nd Place Prize

(1) TaylorMade Driver with Custom Shaft, (1) TaylorMade Fairway Wood

(1) Adams Hybrid, (1) Set of Mizuno Irons

(2) SCOR Wedges, (1) Bettinardi Studio Stock Putter

(6) Dozen Bridgestone Golf Balls, (1) Bushnell NEO+ GPS Watch

(1) Golf Outfit from Sub70USA , (1) Pair of TRUE Linkswear Tour Golf Shoes

Approximate Retail Value : $3,500

3nd Place Prize

(1) TaylorMade Driver, (1) TaylorMade Fairway Wood

(1) Adams Hybrids, (2) SCOR Wedges, (3) Dozen Bridgestone Golf Balls,

(1) Golf Outfit from Sub70USA , (1) Pair of TRUE Linkswear phx Golf Shoes

Approximate Retail Value : $1,675

The way that some of the contest is worded concerns me, such as "*********.com will be selecting 3 winners to become members of the "********* Tour Staff ".

Prizes include a complete club sponsorship & a complete apparel package."

If anyone could please explain if it would effect any of my collegiate golf that would be great. Thanks for the help.

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

Are the prizes you indicate based on the golfer's performance or are these giveaway prizes based on random selection?    If they are based on something the golfer does with skill, then Rule 3-2 of the Rules of Amateur Status would define your USGA status:

• 3-1 Prize Limits

• a. General

• An amateur golfer must not accept a prize (other than a symbolic prize) or prize voucher of retail value in excess of $750 or the equivalent, or such a lesser figure as may be decided by the Governing Body. This limit applies to the total prizes or prize vouchers received by an amateur golfer in any one competition or series of competitions.
  • Exception: Hole-in-one prizes – see Rule 3-2b .
  • Note 1: The prize limits apply to any form of golf competition, whether on a golf course, driving range or golf simulator, including nearest the hole and longest drive competitions.

All of the prizes you described are significantly in excess of the nominal value determined above, and hence the golfer would lose USGA amateur status.

From NCAA.org, you'll also find the following statement:

• " A prospect may accept prize money based on performance in an open competition as long as the prize is awarded by the sponsor of the event and the amount of the prize does not exceed the student-athlete’s expenses to compete in the event. "

So it does seem to be clear that if you win any of the prizes based on your golf play you lose amateur eligibility with both the USGA and NCAA.     If the prizes are a raffle or other random drawing, this is not an issue.

• Upvote 1

The contest is a 100 word entry on ideas to improve their website as voted on by other members, so not really based on my golf skill but also doesn't fall under random drawing if you mean a literal random drawing.. I'll just say that since the website was starred in my original post, this is a very popular website for insider golf information and spy pics of new clubs, so they are established enough to provide this giveaway.

Driver: FT Tour 9.5
Fairway woods: X-Fairway 3 and 5
Irons: : X-Forged '09 3-PW in Carolina Blue, Oklahoma Orange, and Wake Forest Green grips.
Wedges: X-Forged '09 54-14 and Vokey Spin-Milled 60-7
Putter: Odyssey Black Series #8

Preferred Ball: Z-star Tour Yellow

In the Pockets: Ball, Ecotee, Switchblade Divot Repair tool, Pencil w/ Eraser.

I would think that constitutes a contest/random drawing so it wouldn't affect your amateur status.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by zanga254

The contest is a 100 word entry on ideas to improve their website as voted on by other members, so not really based on my golf skill but also doesn't fall under random drawing if you mean a literal random drawing.. I'll just say that since the website was starred in my original post, this is a very popular website for insider golf information and spy pics of new clubs, so they are established enough to provide this giveaway.

Since it apparently has nothing to do with actually playing golf, it would have no effect on amteur status.  A amateur player is allowed to earn an income from golf related enterprises (working at a golf course, working in a golf shop, etc.) as long as such income is not derived from playing golf.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 weeks later...
The NCAA is very quirky. Your best bet might be to give them a call and ask: For students and parents with eligibility questions: NCAA Eligibility Center 877/262-1492 (toll free) 317/223-0700 (from the NCAA website "contact us" page)

Note: This thread is 4257 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!