IGNORED

Need some help

Note: This thread is 4245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

I don't get to play often but I need some help. I almost hate when the boss says lets go play golf because of how bad I am. My biggest concern is with my driver. Half the time I try to T-off my ball will go 90 degrees right, like straight right off the T! I have no idea what I'm doing so any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated so I can at least lower my embarrassment level a tad.

Thanks

I had this same problem when I started. I was lucky and a gentlemen was watching me and gave me this one piece of advice. Hopefully it will help you.

At the point of impact I would lean my upper body back. Feet planted, hips forward and shoulders/head leaning back. He told me to keep shoulders/head over my hips it will help it go straight.

One other trick that helps me hit it straight is to wear a watch on your left hand. On your down sing think about having the face of the watch face towards where you want the ball to go. If the face if facing towards your face you get ugly slices like you described.

If those two things don't work my last suggestion would be to video your swing and post it on here, Lot of golfers better than me that will be able to identify areas to improve your swing.

Either you are not hitting the middle of the face (shank or extreme toe) or the clubface is wide open at impact.

Get a marker pen - dry erase - put a dot on the back of the ball. It should leave a mark on the face representing where you hit it. Try and work on getting it in the middle - will require a lot of practice to do this consistently.

If the ball is still going off way right, work on getting the clubface more square at impact. Would probably be best to film your swing and put it here so we can make some technical suggestions, but other than that, go and hit some chip shots working on getting the clubface to aim left at imapct. By getting the feeling for a 'left' clubface, you can then start to calibrate a straighter position, and then work it into a longer swing.

Don't tee off with your driver. Use a shorter club that you can control. If that is a 5-iron, so be it. You'll have more fun if the ball stays in play and you'll become a pleasant business golf companion.

Meanwhile, work on your longer clubs on the range.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

I agree with Rusty, try a shorter club off the tee.  I like going to my 5 wood or 21 degree hybrid when the driver goes haywire.

Swing easy, you are probably trying to kill it.  Shorten your backswing and try to swing with 60% effort than what you do now.

Watch a lot of good swings in slow mo and get a sense of where all the body parts should be during the swing, and when.  Read the "Swing Thoughts" threads on this site.  Then practice, practice, practice.  Video your swing (try Swing Reader for iphone) and post your swing in the My Swings section.

Also consider the age of your clubs, if they are old, you may benefit from getting fit for new equipment that will be more forgiving.  My new 5 wood has got to be the easiest club I have ever hit.

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

• 3 weeks later...

With the driver tee the ball up a little more and move the ball up in your stance, put 60 - 40 weight distribution, more on the back foot.  On your take away make it low and slow, and don't over swing, the biggest problem we have is we try to swing the club with our arms, swing it with your core and arms.  Let the ball get in the way of your swing and finish your swing.  You may want to try not grounding your club, that means not putting your club on the ground at setup, usually this gives you a much smoother swing.

Note: This thread is 4245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!