IGNORED

Kif inti?

withdrew
Note: This thread is 6171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My name is Andrew, I'm from Astoria, NY (that's Queens!).

Played golf a bit while in high-school, coming back to the game the last couple of years. I look forward to interacting with the members of this board!
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

Alright, Queens representing! Lol...

Played at Forest Park a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it - not too long, which a relative newbie like me appreciated. A lot of people don't realize how nice the City public courses are, I think. I'd like to try Kissena next, one of these days.

Nice to meet ya!

Tom

ps....er, what does "Kif inti" mean??

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Alright, Queens representing! Lol...

TOM!

Nice to meet you too bud. Forest Park is only 10-15 minutes away from my house, I'm actually going to play there next week! I love the NYC Public courses because they are like secrets hidden throughout the city, and when you play them you forget that you are actually in New York! And to answer your question, everyone was using "Hello" and "Hola" etc. etc. so I figured I'd try something different, "Kif inti" means "How are you" in Maltese. My wife is from Malta. Great to meet you. Hope to hear from you again. -Andrew
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

From MALTA, huh? Wow, we really are a melting pot around here, aren't we! Love the native greeting

Yeah, the city is fabulous. Just scratch the surface and you find all sorts of amazing things. All 5 boroughs have treasures, idyllic parks and golf courses among them.

Lucky you, living so close to a great venue! Hope you have many good rounds there and elsewhere. Maybe I'll see you on one of them sometime.

All the best!

Tom

Bag It:

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Tom:
Yeah, the nickname melting pot is really almost an understatement at this point!
My wife was born in Queens but her parents are from Malta, which is an amazing place- I've been there several times already!
I'm really happy to hear others appreciate NYC, because usually it's a lot of bashing, especially from some New Jersians (you obviously being an exception!)
Sure you get the occasional Joey Buttafuco type on the course, "HEY YO, FORE, LOOK THE F*CK OUT OVER THERE!" but the overwhelming majority of the people I encounter are professional, they follow the rules and they practice the etiquette without being stuck-up or snobbish. I do feel lucky to have access to this area, and thanks for the kind wishes.

I'm going to have to get over to Jersey sometime soon!

-Andrew
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°

... it's a lot of bashing, especially from some New Jersians (you obviously being an exception!)

HAHA! Yeah,there does seem to be a bit of a rivalry between the east and west sides of the Hudson River, doesn't there? For myself though, I've worked several jobs in Manhattan over the years, and now am part of a morning radio show there (although the studios are in Jersey) so I've always had a vested interest. But I have to say, almost

everyone I know who lives in NJ loves NYC. Why do you think the Lincoln Tunnel is jammed coming into town every day from 6am to 10 pm? Hey, if you ever do make it out this way, NJ really does have some nice courses. Although where I live up in Sussex County, it's not the Buttafuco types who distract you, but the black bears! We actually have local rules about what to do if a bruin absconds with your ball But as long as you're not carrying your lucky salmon or a bee hive, they usually leave YOU alone. Tom

Bag It:

Hmmm- what radio show? Is it something I've heard of? As long as your real name isn't Mike Francesa you're okay in my book.

I definitely want to try out some Jersey courses. I've always heard good things. I went to high-school and college in Staten Island so I know a bit about Jersey, it's just one of the stepping stones to get to Jersey, but if mostly you come into the city, I suppose you rarely go that way.

Thats crazy about the bears. I'd freak out. My dad has a summer place in PA so I've seen them before, when you get close it's scary. They are so much bigger in person, and most people don't know how fast they actually can run. They look so sluggish on the Discovery Channel, hibernating or foraging for berries and what-not, meanwhile the thing could chase down a racehorse pretty easily.

I will surely leave the bagel & lox home that day.
Andrew
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°

Oh MAN are those bears fast! My stupid but ballsy Welsh Corgi chases them (we live in the middle of a 6,000 acre state forest), and I'm always amazed at how quickly they disappear into the woods when they're spooked. Lol, well, leave the Lox home, anyway. Might be ok the bagels - I haven't seen any bears wearing yalmukes. Yet.

You're lucky you don't live on Staten Island anymore. Do you know what the tolls at the Verrazano is these days? You'd practically need a seperate full time job just support the commute!

Er...not that the TBA charges that much less for the Queens crossings, of course.

For the past year and a half I've been the morning traffic and weather guy on WOR, with Donna Hanover and Joe Bartlet. Joe is an avid golfer, which is why I got back into the game - job security, ya know? Before that, I was a full time on 1010WINS for 12 years using a pseudonym.

Tom

Bag It:

Woah! That's some big time stuff there, not college radio! That's amazing, a really cool job. Dogs and bears, they are just a funny combination, talk about a Napoleon complex...I have a Miniature Pinscher, and he only pays attention to dogs 10x's his size.

I did deal with that toll, because I was actually living in Brooklyn and commuted to Staten Island for both HS and college. I cannot believe how expensive that toll is, sickening really. And you're right about all the tolls at all the crossings, unfortunately raising tolls doesn't really make people drive less, it just makes commuters (mostly middle class!) go further into debt or sacrafice other things.

I came back to golf because I realize what a relaxing game it is, and my new outlook and approach to the game is much more healthy and conducive to having a good time. I don't really get frustrated and if I break 100, I'm happy. At least I got some sun and fresh air, and a good walk never hurt anyone!
Also, I can't really get injured like I can while playing basketball, and while I'm not "old" yet (30) my body certainly doens't cooperate with my mind the way it did 10 years ago.

It's great getting to know you.
-Andrew
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°

LOL @ "small dogs with Napolean complexes". Ain't that the truth! Hey, great little pup you've got there yourself. Miniature pinchers are real characters, from what I've seen. Great city dogs too - I never understood people who insist on cooping up dogs who need a lot of space to run. Good choice, there. I bet he's a blast (can you tell I'm a dog guy?).

You're right, 30 is not old. And the farther past 40 I get, the younger it seems. Sheesh. Where's my walker, already?

Eh, radio's not as cool or amazing as you might think. I certainly don't think it is at 3am when my alarm goes off. Seriously, after a while it's like any other job.

Just with more groupies, of course

Great meeting you too, buddy!

Tom

Bag It:

Note: This thread is 6171 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!