IGNORED

2012 Ryder Cup Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Nosevi

If you really do want to know about Paul Mcginley I'll help you out, but just this once. Get the coffee on, it's 1 hour 25 minutes long. Ought to be able to pick something up you can use.

Many thanks for this very interesting interview - what a well-spoken and charming fellow Paul McGinley turns out to be.  He came on the scene just as I was leaving the U.K., no wonder I don't know about him.  He's got that soft Irish brogue I so admire for one thing - and the facility with the language.

First off, the near-naked guy ran all over the other guy's line!  (round and round apparently - not that unusual according to McGinley).  Apparently the first thing McGinley said when he saw the idiot run onto the green was, "Just don't run on his line!!" - what a star!  So had his competitor taken his 25 ft putt and missed, that clearly wouldn't have been right.  I must say this possibility never occurred to me - good decision by Paul in that case - the proper and sportsmanlike thing to do indeed.

You should have told us that critical point Nosi ..... ..

Lots of interesting insights, esp. into differences between team golf and individual golf, and how a background in team sports (in his case, Gaelic football) can be a real asset in the RC and other team events.  At least for some people - prolly won't work for everyone.  Much more social interaction between players over there, staying in the same hotel, going around in buses etc.  He was candid when talking about other players without being offensive in any way, at least 1 hr into the interview.  Good job by the interviewer as well.

Also McGinley reminds me of my major concern in 2014, vis. what the weather might be like in Scotland.  If it's windy and pi**ing with rain we'll be in a spot of trouble.  Some of those guys were weaned on that sort of thing.

I can see why he's a popular guy.  Based on this evidence I suspect he'd make a truly excellent Captain.

Back to the interview .... and my glass of claret.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Many thanks for this very interesting interview - what a well-spoken and charming fellow Paul McGinley turns out to be.  He came on the scene just as I was leaving the U.K., no wonder I don't know about him.  He's got that soft Irish brogue I so admire for one thing - and the facility with the language. First off, the near-naked guy ran all over the other guy's line!  (round and round apparently - not that unusual according to McGinley).  Apparently the first thing McGinley said when he saw the idiot run onto the green was, "Just don't run on his line!!" - what a star!  So had his competitor taken his 25 ft putt and missed, that clearly wouldn't have been right.  I must say this possibility never occurred to me - good decision by Paul in that case - the proper and sportsmanlike thing to do indeed.  You should have told us that critical point Nosi ..... :naughty: ..:-) Lots of interesting insights, esp. into differences between team golf and individual golf, and how a background in team sports (in his case, Gaelic football) can be a real asset in the RC and other team events.  At least for some people - prolly won't work for everyone.  Much more social interaction between players over there, staying in the same hotel, going around in buses etc.  He was candid when talking about other players without being offensive in any way, at least 1 hr into the interview.  Good job by the interviewer as well. Also McGinley reminds me of my major concern in 2014, vis. what the weather might be like in Scotland.  If it's windy and pi**ing with rain we'll be in a spot of trouble.  Some of those guys were weaned on that sort of thing.  I can see why he's a popular guy.  Based on this evidence I suspect he'd make a truly excellent Captain. Back to the interview .... and my glass of claret.

Must confess totally forgot about the half naked guy. It says on wiki that it wasn't shown on tv but I've definitely seen it, maybe not on official footage I can't remember tbh. Got to also confess I've not yet watched the interview, just a few minutes of it - didn't know paul had given that much away! Nice bloke though. One of those chaps who never gets excited, talks quietly but everyone listens. Doesn't always follow that a good captain wins, a bad one looses, but I think we could do a lot worse than Paul Mcginley. When I get a chance will have to watch the interview, if only so I know what I've given away!

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Joakim,

Hope you're still reading, just wanted to say that hope you didn't feel I was slamming you with that last remark because I'm not, far from it. I don't really want to talk religion because I'm fairly used to doing so and because in this context it won't help. You'll mention it, Monte will take the piss, you'll get upset. Just don't see any milage in it. Was not taking the mick. I said I'd debate religion with all comers because I have an Honours Degree from Oxford University in Theology, based mainly around Christianity and ethics but including other bits and bobs. Not taking the mick at all, mate. Take care.

Nos

Nosevi,

No worries, I didn’t take it as being slammed personally because the religious topic was started by Monte. How can I put this without malice…… Monte stated if I believed Jesus is the “Scruffiest man in history” . Americans do not use such verbiage and I had never heard the word Scruffiest used in American English. Someone such as Monte would be well versed in such verbiage. I do regret expounding on my religious beliefs.

Unfortunately I did not break out a dictionary and realize such a statement about Jesus is maniacal. I assumed a different meaning and embellished my perspective. English in England uses many different phrases, words and double indentures in their communications compared to the United States.

Such as England refers to cigarettes as a fag we would interrupt this differently and Monte transcends anyone I've known at degrading people. Actually many British blogs are structured with hidden meanings and it's Ok, I get it now and I’ve learned a lot since interacting in these blogs. Frankly I just view this as pompous banter that only severs US/English relationships.

I will pray for him as I do for any seditionist.

Religion is very important to me and I admire your scholastics and courtisies.

Regards,

Curt

Cu

Dear Curt,

I did not bring religion into the thread: you did. "Do not bring take the Lord's name in vain" or somesuch.

There are many, many Americans who use exactly the same verbiage as I used - in fact one is on TV most days - his name is Bill Maher. Look him up. There are many atheists (I'm not one), Agnostics (that's where I sit) and anti-theists (generally mad-men) in America.

Jesus Christ was a scruffy man for a deity, if you think about it. Depending on your time of life and geographical location, of course. I always thought he never took much trouble with his appearance - it must have been like being lectured by a robe-wearing Kurt Cobain. Of course, for the time, he would have been very short and probably Arabic looking, as was the way two thousand years ago when he may have existed. Depends on who his father was - if he was Roman, maybe that explains the nose. But I digress, yes, scruffy.

Thor, much revered by the Scandinavians, was a hammer-wielding MoFo who looked well-impressive. Vishnu scrubbed up well as well, lots of gold. If you were in India, you'd take your hat off to that. The Romans..wow, they had hundreds. They coulda taken on the Patriots there were so many. And they looked fiiine. Very impressive bunch of lads and lasses.

In Australia, when they are not sniffing petrol or getting hammered on VB, the inigenous aboriginals in the Northern Territory worship a God part-Lizard, part-Man (imagine Dick Cheny in a loin-cloth). You'd pay to see that, surely?

Just saying, is all. I think Jesus coulda done with a makeover, some decent PR. Queer Eye for the Jew Guy, something like that. If he'd done that, all that Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Roman Catholicism, Baptism, Judaism...probably would'nt have got off the ground. He'd be bigger than Tebow.

Taylor Made R11S 9 Degree

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

[SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Nosevi,[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]No worries, I didn’t take it as being slammed personally because the religious topic was started by Monte. How can I put this without malice…… Monte stated if I believed Jesus is the “Scruffiest man in history” . Americans do not use such verbiage and I had never heard the word Scruffiest used in American English. Someone such as Monte would be well versed in such verbiage. I do regret expounding on my religious beliefs.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Unfortunately I did not break out a dictionary and realize such a statement about Jesus is maniacal. I assumed a different meaning and embellished my perspective. English in England uses many different phrases, words and double indentures in their communications compared to the United States.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Such as England refers to cigarettes as a fag we would interrupt this differently and Monte transcends anyone I've known at degrading people. Actually many British blogs are structured with hidden meanings and it's Ok, I get it now and I’ve learned a lot since interacting in these blogs. Frankly I just view this as pompous banter that only severs US/English relationships.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]I will pray for him as I do for any seditionist.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Religion is very important to me and I admire your scholastics and courtisies.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Regards,[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] [SIZE=14px][FONT=arial][COLOR=984806]Curt[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] Cu

No problem mate. I'd try not to take it personally though as I have a sneaky suspicion Monte was trying to get a rise out of you - a reaction. I make it a personal policy never to give someone that satisfaction. People see banter on different levels. What passes as banter for Monte is insulting for you, he'd probably find your banter tame and boring. I've just left the British military, in fact, as chance would have it, I left 6 hours and 29 minutes ago. In my time I've served on ops in places like Iraq and worked with guys on the front line including SF quite a bit (air traffic controller in my day job). The banter in those circumstances would make Monte's appear tame beyond belief but it's like that for a reason and I wouldn't begrudge the guys something that helps them get through some pretty tough times. Anyway, you get 'immune' to it after a while. My advice, let it wash over you and don't dignify it with a responce unless you want to debate the issue. Don't let it get to you. Take care Nos

Pete Iveson

Dear Curt, I did not bring religion into the thread: you did. "Do not bring take the Lord's name in vain" or somesuch. There are many, many Americans who use exactly the same verbiage as I used - in fact one is on TV most days - his name is Bill Maher. Look him up. There are many atheists (I'm not one), Agnostics (that's where I sit) and anti-theists (generally mad-men) in America. Jesus Christ was a scruffy man for a deity, if you think about it. Depending on your time of life and geographical location, of course. I always thought he never took much trouble with his appearance - it must have been like being lectured by a robe-wearing Kurt Cobain. Of course, for the time, he would have been very short and probably Arabic looking, as was the way two thousand years ago when he may have existed. Depends on who his father was - if he was Roman, maybe that explains the nose. But I digress, yes, scruffy. Thor, much revered by the Scandinavians, was a hammer-wielding MoFo who looked well-impressive. Vishnu scrubbed up well as well, lots of gold. If you were in India, you'd take your hat off to that. The Romans..wow, they had hundreds. They coulda taken on the Patriots there were so many. And they looked fiiine. Very impressive bunch of lads and lasses. In Australia, when they are not sniffing petrol or getting hammered on VB, the inigenous aboriginals in the Northern Territory worship a God part-Lizard, part-Man (imagine Dick Cheny in a loin-cloth). You'd pay to see that, surely? Just saying, is all. I think Jesus coulda done with a makeover, some decent PR. Queer Eye for the Jew Guy, something like that. If he'd done that, all that Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Roman Catholicism, Baptism, Judaism...probably would'nt have got off the ground. He'd be bigger than Tebow.

Hey Monte, you still here? Thought you were off reading up on Dawkin, mate? Just pullin your leg :-) Not sure you and Curt are ever really going to hit it off, just my take on it. Better probably to let sleeping dogs lie rather than flogging a dead horse, or some other cliche. Anyway, probably best to both agree to differ coz I think you probably differ quite a bit, not sure your gunna find that common ground. p.s. sorry for giving away all thos state secrets - didn't know McGinners had gone into so much detail.

Pete Iveson

Hey Monte, you still here? Thought you were off reading up on Dawkin, mate? Just pullin your leg

Not sure you and Curt are ever really going to hit it off, just my take on it. Better probably to let sleeping dogs lie rather than flogging a dead horse, or some other cliche. Anyway, probably best to both agree to differ coz I think you probably differ quite a bit, not sure your gunna find that common ground.

p.s. sorry for giving away all thos state secrets - didn't know McGinners had gone into so much detail.

Yeah I know, I should not take the piss. Time to walk the dog and get the papers. Playing at 11 at the Players Codrington - looks like it's waterproofs only today.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

I wouldn't waste any more time on a witless w**ker like Monte if I were you. He reminds me of McGinley's naked guy running round and round on the green at the final hole of that RC. "Look at me!" Pathetic.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Monte the Bear

Yeah I know, I should not take the piss. Time to walk the dog and get the papers. Playing at 11 at the Players Codrington - looks like it's waterproofs only today.

Not to worry. Stick to taking the piss out of me, I don't mind a jot. Of course you might not find that quite as fun :)

Enjoy your game. Don't know Codrington but looks like a nice track. All the photos I just saw seem to have water in them though - mind out won't you? Whatever happens don't think about the water! All the best. Enjoy!

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Chas

I wouldn't waste any more time on a witless w**ker like Monte if I were you. He reminds me of McGinley's naked guy running round and round on the green at the final hole of that RC. "Look at me!" Pathetic.

That's not very nice, is it?

Do you have to be insulting?

You really let the side down, Chas.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

Not to worry. Stick to taking the piss out of me, I don't mind a jot. Of course you might not find that quite as fun :)

Enjoy your game. Don't know Codrington but looks like a nice track. All the photos I just saw seem to have water in them though - mind out won't you? Whatever happens don't think about the water! All the best. Enjoy!

Will do. McGinley...top fella. Darren Clarke is too young, and I feel, a bit too emotional. Thomas Bjorn is a bot.

Callaway X 3 Wood

Taylor Made 3 & 5 Rescue

Mizuno MP57 5-PW

Titleist Vokey 52, 60

Ping Scottsdale Anser

One thing I think we can all agree on (finally!) - McGinley is our man in the European camp. Unfortunately I've given away FAR too much but hopefully that interview shows a llittle of why. It's not all about fire and (was about to say brimstone but bit my tongue!) and having the force of personality to bring guys like Tiger or Phil into line (not criticising them, just they're big personalities). Some people just have presence and don't need to shout and scream.

Anyway US, that's our man. Over to you for your nominations together with supporting evidence.

Pete Iveson

Dear Curt,

I did not bring religion into the thread: you did. "Do not bring take the Lord's name in vain" or somesuch.

There are many, many Americans who use exactly the same verbiage as I used - in fact one is on TV most days - his name is Bill Maher. Look him up. There are many atheists (I'm not one), Agnostics (that's where I sit) and anti-theists (generally mad-men) in America.

po

Jesus Christ was a scruffy man for a deity, if you think about it. Depending on your time of life and geographical location, of course. I always thought he never took much trouble with his appearance - it must have been like being lectured by a robe-wearing Kurt Cobain. Of course, for the time, he would have been very short and probably Arabic looking, as was the way two thousand years ago when he may have existed. Depends on who his father was - if he was Roman, maybe that explains the nose. But I digress, yes, scruffy.

Thor, much revered by the Scandinavians, was a hammer-wielding MoFo who looked well-impressive. Vishnu scrubbed up well as well, lots of gold. If you were in India, you'd take your hat off to that. The Romans..wow, they had hundreds. They coulda taken on the Patriots there were so many. And they looked fiiine. Very impressive bunch of lads and lasses.

In Australia, when they are not sniffing petrol or getting hammered on VB, the inigenous aboriginals in the Northern Territory worship a God part-Lizard, part-Man (imagine Dick Cheny in a loin-cloth). You'd pay to see that, surely?

j

Just saying, is all. I think Jesus coulda done with a makeover, some decent PR. Queer Eye for the Jew Guy, something like that. If he'd done that, all that Mormonism, Jehovah's Witness, Roman Catholicism, Baptism, Judaism...probably would'nt have got off the ground. He'd be bigger than Tebow.

Mr. Bear,

I don't believe anyone can criticize Jesus. My post was a polite requst, habit as I've done this for years and never condlesended for it. J-troop replied

Please don't join the forum 3 days ago, post 92 rants about the same exact nonsense, and then try to judge other people. I didn't appreciate this reply because it was lies. I only sent a few rants to you because we were blasting my country. Also, I did not judge and fellow blogger not even you. I just posted your replies. I've never replied to a fellow blogger in any derrogatory replies. I did rant about Jason Sobel GC because every point was distorted or outright lies. I was called an idiot, insane and critcised for every point I made. I don't care for liers, one fear he passsage from bible states, it is the Liar who I hate. In my opinion my input was reseached to the best of my ability  and many other bloggers would say the same thing and not get slammed. I can't recall even responding to J-troop, it wasn't addionally it wasn't directed to you.

Back to your points, you have obvious extended schooling and knowledgle in history and obviously well schooled. Personally my father opened a restaurant when I was eleven and I was a cook along with many other responsibilies until I was 18 I went from a straight A student to barely  passing my next grade. I was tired of smelling like stakes and fries and became the best salesmen nation wide in an Aerospace and Electronics Co, where i opened at 27 an Aerospace company and eventually President/CEO of 5 companies selling and making things to Boeing, our  military.I say this because I am tired of being called stupid in so many different phrases for simply voicing constructive criticism.

I can't comment on the looks of different country men. I did study the bible from Adam ho Jesus and I would have to think if he came out in fancy robes and gold chains he would not have become our lord and savior. I really can't judge the other races but that is what brought diversitity to the world. And even accents and diverse meanings in language.

This is way off topic and went on to long. Let's just say these blogs are Americans getting to know each other and maybe one day you come over here, have a few bears and I'll take you to Pebble Beach. What course do you want to play? I recommend Spyglass.

Religion discussion closed.

Curt

Regards,

Originally Posted by Nosevi i

No problem mate. I'd try not to take it personally though as I have a sneaky suspicion Monte was trying to get a rise out of you - a reaction. I make it a personal policy never to give someone that satisfaction. People see banter on different levels. What passes as banter for Monte is insulting for you, he'd probably find your banter tame and boring. I've just left the British military, in fact, as chance would have it, I left 6 hours and 29 minutes ago. In my time I've served on ops in places like Iraq and worked with guys on the front line including SF quite a bit (air traffic controller in my day job). The banter in those circumstances would make Monte's appear tame beyond belief but it's like that for a reason and I wouldn't begrudge the guys something that helps them get through some pretty tough times. Anyway, you get 'immune' to it after a while. My advice, let it wash over you and don't dignify it with a responce unless you want to debate the issue. Don't let it get to you.

Take care

Nos

You surely put this nonsense in the right perspective. Proud you serve your country. I can't even imagine the intensity. I'm over it, you should sit in a board room when the profits are falling to the ground. You sit there and take or pack up your office. Right now just pounding this computer the curser jumps at every word.... Lots of typo's.

Stick to taking the piss out of me, I don't mind a jot.

Nos,

Just curious, can you translate the above?

You said your were in SF? Thats San Francisco to us.

Are you all going golfing?.

That's not very nice, is it?

Do you have to be insulting?

You really let the side down, Chas.

I'm only going to post one more little thing on this subject, then I think we've 'done it to death'. Ok so maybe we did that a while back but I'll chip in anyway, then I too am done, (apart from the golf side of this theological/inter-continental relations thread.)

Monte, about now many people are wondering what you're on about, "Is this guy for real!" is probably a phrase going through their heads. I'm guessing Joakim and maybe Chas are two of them. What some people don't really get is that religion is a very personal thing for many people - I'm not talking personal as in "I like my car" I'm talking it's a central point, possibly THE central point, in who they are. Your idle banter about Christianity will effect different people in different ways. During my degree we watched Monty Python - The Life of Brian, to see the reaction it got with some who had never seen it before - and more importantly to ask why. To many people laughing about religion is no different from laughing about someone's quirks or their hair do. To others you're attacking something that is at the very centre of who they are and how they 'tick'.

When you mock Christianity - and I mean mock in as in make light of it, tease it and those who believe in it - you're mocking that person in a very particular way and I pretty much guarantee it's in a way that you can't really comprehend (not calling you dull, Hawkin can't comprehend it either and he's a very clever bloke, far smarter than you or I, I'll warrant.) When Chas says you're a "witless w**ker", I guarantee that, on a personal level, he is being far less cutting to you than your comments are to Joakim. I say this having met neither of you but I absolutely guarantee it is true.

Me, I try to look at someones motives. I see your comments as idle banter so that's how I take them - they don't bother me at all. Others won't, it insults them deeply. If that doesn't bother you, fine, but I'm not entirely convinced you know what you're doing and how it feels to the recipients of your banter. I say this because I have no idea what it feels like and that's having studied the psychology of religion to a fairly high level. Anyway, I'm done. Enjoy your golf mate.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Joakim

Nos,

Just curious, can you translate the above?

You said your were in SF? Thats San Francisco to us.

Are you all going golfing?.

Sorry, no. SF to us is Special Forces. I wasn't in them, just have worked with them a bit.

Pete Iveson

Originally Posted by Joakim

I don't believe anyone can criticize Jesus. My post was a polite requst

I did study the bible from Adam ho Jesus and I would have to think if he came out in fancy robes and gold chains he would not have become our lord and savior.

It doesn't matter how polite the request is if it's ridiculous and/or misplaced.  The same goes for people who go around telling others that they should never, ever use the "R" word.  Anyway, I fail to see how saying "Jesus Christ!" is criticizing Jesus.  Hyper-sensitivity to this type of sanctimonious and pious crap is part of what gives religion a poor reputation anyway.  It's people like this within my own religion that simply make me shake my head.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4226 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!