IGNORED

Learning how to play - need buying advice

Note: This thread is 4191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello. I am new to this forum and new to golf. I apologize if this has been discussed already. I just started learning how to play via the get golf ready program in one of our local golf courses and I am thinking about buying a set of clubs. I've seen some complete sets in ebay that are really cheap (wilson and top flite brand). Are these any good? Is it advisable to buy a complete set if you are a beginner or better to buy the clubs individually? Any suggestions?

The most I will spend for everything is 300$. I wish i made more money but anything over that is breaking the bank for me already.

Thanks!

- Jeff

Welcome to the great game of golf, Jeff! And welcome to thesandtrap too.

I'd look at buying a good used set of irons and building from there. Lots of great deals on ebay, etc.. but there is no substitute for actually hitting the clubs. The best advice I can give you is to look for a small golf shop in your area and see what they have for you. Most shops will have a wide selection of used clubs that they've taken in on trade for you to hit. By dealing with a local shop you'll get better service and advice than the big box stores. You should be able to find some good irons for $100-150. You can pickup a good used driver for $100 or less - again, you've got to hit some to find what's going to work for you.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

Hey jeff welcome to golf the most fun and frustrating sport in the world, what i did when it came to my first set was buy a complete one and as i got better i started replacing things i.e driver then three wood etc. But the post above is spot on your local guy probally will give you the best deal because he wants your buissness, also its great supporting the local guy. As far as sets go in your price range i would say if the local guy doesnt have anything go to your local dicks sporting goods pick up a set there, wilson, slazenger. http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Wilson-Mens-Profile-2012-15-piece-Golf-Set/6635533/product.html heres a set of wilson staffs that look nice i would say something wilson is your best bet they have tour quality clubs and they still make more moderate ones also so you might be able to get a little more technology than a off brand club. All else fails ebay! hope this helps evey person in these forms has a opinion and believes they know the most good luck !!

To add to the two posts above ( I agree with both), buying a used SET or a full SET in your price range is the best thing to do. Don't buy cheap individual pieces. Get some ideas by going to a golf course (or two) and renting a set of their clubs and going to the driving range. They may let you borrow them at a discounted rate if you tell them you are new to the game, want to practice, and thinking about buying a set of modestly priced clubs. As they stated in the previous posts HITTING/TESTING the clubs is very important.

Lastly, ask A LOT of questions about playing discounted golf. NEVER pay full price for playing golf unless you have to. You will learn about affordable memberships, coupons, maybe a city sponsored municipal golf program, to play discounted golf. You live there, don't pay what tourists pay.

Best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by SAGolfLuvr

To add to the two posts above ( I agree with both), buying a used SET or a full SET in your price range is the best thing to do. Don't buy cheap individual pieces. Get some ideas by going to a golf course (or two) and renting a set of their clubs and going to the driving range. They may let you borrow them at a discounted rate if you tell them you are new to the game, want to practice, and thinking about buying a set of modestly priced clubs. As they stated in the previous posts HITTING/TESTING the clubs is very important.

Lastly, ask A LOT of questions about playing discounted golf. NEVER pay full price for playing golf unless you have to. You will learn about affordable memberships, coupons, maybe a city sponsored municipal golf program, to play discounted golf. You live there, don't pay what tourists pay.

Best of luck to you.

My local golf course has used "donated" clubs for sale at $5 to $10 for old style clubs. Try these out first. They are generally good quality clubs that were "cast" aside for better clubs. The ones they sell don't have bent shafts, and some have beat up heads.

I am sure your local course have the same thing, every course I go to has a barrel of "donated" clubs for sale.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just FYI. I bought a new set of irons for $399. Look around before jumping the gun. Now is a great time to get some deals.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

as the man above me we are both cleveland iron hitters they are great priced especially right now and for those who say cleveland marks them down because they arent good has never played a set of Cleveland irons they are excellent i seem to always buy last years model and that makes them affordable for woods look at the previous years taylormade there always a great price especially there burner series which im a fan of

Note: This thread is 4191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!