IGNORED

Value of old set of Pings.

Note: This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently acquired an older set of Ping irons-3 through W. They are in pretty good shape, though they do show some signs of use. The grips appear to be newer and the writing on them say Golf Pride Tour Wrap. The heads of the clubs say Karsten Mfg. Co., Phoenix, AZ.

Does anyone have any idea how much they might be worth? I can't wait to try them on the golf course.

Looks like they're the original Pink K1 irons, introduced in 1969.      They aren't particularly scarce, but are probably worth around $125-150.       Ping has introduced a reproduction of these, so when looking at values on eBay or other sites make sure you're not confused between the original and the repros.

They look to be in fairly good shape, considering their age, so I'd have to agree with Clambake on this one. If only the 8 irons has those small dings though, I would assume you could sell them for closer to $150 than not.

My bag:

Driver: G10 10.5* w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

3 Wood: G10 w/ Pro Launch Red Reg 

18* and 21* hybrids: G10 with Pro Launch Red Stiff 

4-PW: Ping Eye 2 Irons w/ Reg GS 95 

56* and 60*: Tour-S Rustique Wedges w/ Stiff KBS Tour 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 

Thanks for your help guys. I saw these on Craig's List for $25 and didn't see how I could go wrong. I guess I made a good decision for once. I'm going try them out on the golf course tomorrow. It will be a little chilly here in Illinois but the sun is supposed to be shining and every day on the course is a good day.

i have no idea where these guys got their prices, but valueguide puts them at about $8 a piece, or $65 for your set. however i can't imagine anyone paying you more than $50 (except the two guys up above).

http://valueguide.pga.com/detail-exec/product_type/205/brand/2736/model/45831/shaft_type/2/show_details/0/tab/resale/p/Iron%20set/b/Ping/m/Karsten%20I

Many have found the PGA Value Guide to be a very rough approximation at best ; it is primarily used as a tool by the retail industry for trade in, and often doesn't reflect resale pricing in the market.    I've both bought and sold clubs for more than double the price Value Guide listed them for.

There were quite a few of the old Ping K1s listed on eBay and a few other retailers, with pricing ranging as I previously stated.    In this case, Value Guide isn't even close to what they're actually going for in the market.

Many have found the PGA Value Guide to be a very rough approximation at best ; it is primarily used as a tool by the retail industry for trade in, and often doesn't reflect resale pricing in the market.    I've both bought and sold clubs for more than double the price Value Guide listed them for.

There were quite a few of the old Ping K1s listed on eBay and a few other retailers, with pricing ranging as I previously stated.    In this case, Value Guide isn't even close to what they're actually going for in the market.

They have a resale value button you have to click on on the right side of the page. It in fact pulls recent eBay transactions and shows the low, mid, and high prices they sell for on the used market. That's the link I posted. But you are right about one thing, they are usually twice the value of a trade in estimate. Just have to make sure you click on the somewhat hidden button. Perhaps that feature wasn't available when you last used the site.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Many have found the PGA Value Guide to be a very rough approximation at best; it is primarily used as a tool by the retail industry for trade in, and often doesn't reflect resale pricing in the market.    I've both bought and sold clubs for more than double the price Value Guide listed them for.

If they're popular when they go up for sale, like eye2's were when Phil used a couple old wedges (last year?) they might sell high, but I've seen sets exactly like the OP's (better condition even) sell on ebay in the last couple years for about $20. The next time they might fetch 200 so it's hard to say.

Note: This thread is 4183 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!