IGNORED

Callaway Introduces 2013 RAZR Fit Xtreme Driver

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bit of a dead thread, but I may have some numbers to add. Went to The Pro Shop (our version of Edwin Watts/TGW) today to check out their new fitting program -- and it was really quite good. They now use FlightScopes in the general hitting bays and Ping nFlight (running off a Foresight GC2) in the dedicated custom fitting area. There was no one else in the shop, so I spent a couple of hours with the fitter, who as part of his training had visited both the Ping home base in Phoenix and the Callaway PFC -- which I thought was quite impressive for a pissant Southern Hemisphere outfit. Another thing they do right in my opinion is that the fitters are salaried and get no commission on sales, so they're not incentivized to push any brand on you. Or even to push you to buy anything new at all.

Anyway, told him I was looking for some more ball speed and we decided to focus on the G25, Anser and RFE. G25 bailed out early -- I hit it OK but didn't like the shape particularly and wasn't doing any better on ball speed or spin than my current driver (Wishon 919THI with Fubuki K). Anser gave me slightly better numbers but had a very "hard" feel off the face and any misses low and/or toward the heel spun so little that they just fell out of the air for me as a low-swing-speed player. Tried all the shafts and the TFC probably fit me best in that head. Moved on the RFE with the Trinity shaft and everything came together. Liked the way it set up, liked the feel and found it easy to keep close to the center line. With a 10.5 head set to neutral, I was getting 13.6 degrees launch and 2600 spin on average -- which is in the not-much-more-tweaking-left-to-do zone. Average ball speed was up 8 mph over my last time on a launch monitor with my current driver, which is no slouch. Only problem is it was a different monitor, so I couldn't compare apples to apples on the day. Need to go back there and hit them both on that box. If the gains hold up, I'm buying the Extreme, even though I hate the green color scheme. And once the uDesign models start coming in, I'll get a black/black/grey head made up and start messing around with shafts to get it back into my cosmetic comfort zone.

In summary, darn nice driver!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Took the Xtreme out to play today and it is definitely longer than my current driver. Was windy, so raw numbers don't mean much, but I know the course very well and on good hits was consistently past where I would normally expect to be. On the launch monitor beforehand, I was getting 2 or 3 mph more ball speed out of the Xtreme and about 600 to 700 rpm less spin, with similar launch angles. Not a huge difference, but good for maybe 7 to 10 more yards on a middled shot. The stock Trinity shaft is quite stout and I was able to step down to regular flex, which brought my launch up about 1-1/2 degrees, without losing control of the face. Too much right-to-left curve with the standard (draw bias) setup, but swapping the heavy weight into the toe gave me a nice, consistent shape. Might cut the shaft down a 1/2 inch and add some weight, as I'm guessing the MOI is a little lighter than what's worked best for me in the past. Hit a couple of pull draws that I don't usually have in my bag.

Anyway, not much of a club ho, but excited about this one! First Callaway club I've ever owned, I think.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 years later...
Note: This thread is 3168 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!