IGNORED

My Swing (tstrike34)

tstrike34
Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It just looks out of sequence. On a short swing, the rotation should be cut out and only lateral slide, imho. It looks of"swaying". It is hard to fix a lot at once. Stick to the basics and hone them, in your case the 5 keys.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mvmac

Move the left foot behind a few inches and make sure it's turned out.  I'm not saying to widen the stance.  See if those changes do anything to the mobility.

Ok so I went back to just doing the basics...

But I completely forgot the adjustment made in the pic provided by Mike.

So I went back to it.... I started strike the ball and getting my (almost) full swing back. Still working on tempo but again guys, thanks for your expertise.

Sidebar: The reason why I do not have time for lessons (at the present) is because I work from home and raising a little one (all 8 years of him). The weekends are always busy for our local pro also. Hence the reason I really appreciate the tips you guys are giving me. I hope to pay it back someday.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Just keep working at it.  This site has tons of good information... Use it and apply it into your swing.  Overhauling your swing will take minimum a year... I honestly think it could take 2yrs (speaking from my own changes - and how long it has taken me to grasp and implement changes).

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Just keep working at it.  This site has tons of good information... Use it and apply it into your swing.  Overhauling your swing will take minimum a year... I honestly think it could take 2yrs (speaking from my own changes - and how long it has taken me to grasp and implement changes).

It took me 3 years of self taught from watching and learning to get my swing where it is today and I am still needing practice and consistency. My driver is a bear too...

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

It took me 3 years of self taught from watching and learning to get my swing where it is today and I am still needing practice and consistency. My driver is a bear too...

I am... I wouldn't say I am obsessive-compulsive, but I will say that I am pretty aggressive about things. I really like that you guys have put good swing thoughts in my head, so I do not get frustrated. The golf net I got for Xmas was probably one of the best gifts I have ever got.

After I posted, I went back out to the Chamber to see if I could back up what I posted earlier. I was able to keep my wrist flat and impact the ball. The sound of impact at the ball and the target was much louder. So loud that my upstairs neighbor (cutie's apt above the garage) came down to see if I added something extra. Another neighbor said that my shots were much straighter and my full swing was almost there.

I hope to have video in a couple of days as I must travel for business.

Just keep working at it.  Overhauling your swing will take minimum a year... I honestly think it could take 2yrs (speaking from my own changes - and how long it has taken me to grasp and implement changes).

Hey Beach,

I was reading your swing thread and clearly understand it could take about a year and half. Thats actually pretty damn good. Just think: greats like Tiger, DLIII, etc all underwent swing changes that took on average of 1-2 years. The more I understand the science of golf (thanks to you guys), the more I enjoy it like a fine glass of wine that just needs to be sipped rather than consumed.

My mental outlook has changed regarding my golf game.

Take it each swing at a time, each minute at a time, each practice session at a time, each hole at a time, and each round at a time.

I know that in time, I am going to get really good. You guys are setting me on the right path towards that.

And I am deeply appreciative.

• Upvote 1

It just looks out of sequence. On a short swing, the rotation should be cut out and only lateral slide, imho. It looks of"swaying". It is hard to fix a lot at once. Stick to the basics and hone them, in your case the 5 keys.

Valley,

You were dead on... I was swaying a bit and not sliding laterally to the target. In fact swaying, leaked power and broke the Weight Forward swing key. That in turn broke my L-Shape and left my club completely open at impact.

Today's session focused on swing tempo and grip pressure. I do have a problem.. what is the idea tempo in terms of seconds..?  I moved from a 3 second swing to about 6 seconds.. Is that still too quick? I am swinging more smoothly and getting the club in the backswing into the slot. I am just afraid of overthinking thinks at backswing and downswing movements.

I have an appointment with my club pro next week.

In the meantime, todays round started crappy as my range warmup was God awful.

Highs:

• As I got deeper into the round, I was able to really hinge and keep my right wrist straight.
  • I hit some beautiful short iron shots.

Lows:

• My woods absolutely STINK .
  • Even as I kept my hinge, I keep coming in extremely steep. I dunno what was causing my over-the-top swing.
  • I might have sprained my right groin.
  • When I began my round (and at the range), I was topping the ball. Furthermore, I was leaving the clubface WIDE Open. My hinge helped me close the clubface and fire the ball.
  • I had neglible clubhead speed and almost no distance off driver or the long irons.

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Quote:

Valley,

You were dead on... I was swaying a bit and not sliding laterally to the target. In fact swaying, leaked power and broke the Weight Forward swing key. That in turn broke my L-Shape and left my club completely open at impact.

Today's session focused on swing tempo and grip pressure. I do have a problem.. what is the idea tempo in terms of seconds..?  I moved from a 3 second swing to about 6 seconds.. Is that still too quick? I am swinging more smoothly and getting the club in the backswing into the slot. I am just afraid of overthinking thinks at backswing and downswing movements.

Tempo is kind of a personal thing. Some perform fine with fast tempos but it is a rarity imho. Mine is super slow and I really never counted the time...Try this thread I am posting, I think there is a app for it as well.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/20607/tour-tempo-by-john-novosel

• Upvote 1

Tempo is kind of a personal thing. Some perform fine with fast tempos but it is a rarity imho. Mine is super slow and I really never counted the time...Try this thread I am posting, I think there is a app for it as well.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/20607/tour-tempo-by-john-novosel

I got the video set thanks to the link you provided Valley. This is VERY interesting indeed. All of the posters on the thread said they made improvements.

Tempo.

Man that advice you gave Valley is really paying off. I still have my appointment with my Club pro; however, using the Tempo system has done wonders.

For starters... watching the video, I started working on a drill to help with my takeaway (this actually worked) and get me into the top of my swing. Coupled with the adjustment Erik & Mike had me made in my address, I used the drill to work on my timing (once I heard the tone on the video, I quickly memorized it).

After about 30 minutes of just drilling, I engaged my first ten shots at 70%. I improved from 61mph to 76mph. I am still somewhat working on clubface securing, but that will be another piece I will add on. I am just going to focus on my tempo and takeaway until I have those pieces memorized. Also I am feeling my wrist cock automagically without any input from me. Now I just gotta fight off casting.

Just little steps.

I am so thrilled about this evening's developments that I had to tell someone!

• Upvote 1

Nice!  Sounds like you are making some progress.  Which tone are you running with... 27/9?  Slower?  Faster?  The goal is a 3:1 tempo.  Just curious what you found to work for you...

Nice!  Sounds like you are making some progress.  Which tone are you running with... 27/9?  Slower?  Faster?  The goal is a 3:1 tempo.  Just curious what you found to work for you...

3:1...

I am going to post videos in a few.

New and improved swings. My MPH increased by 15 MPH. I know I need more tweaks and things to work on, but I wanted to show all of you how much you have helped me.

Ok question time. After reviewing today's swings, I noticed that my arms are really close to my body? My follow through looks... weird .

Thoughts?

Snapshot here for reference:

Nice work tstrike34!  Your swing looks much improved, and is pretty amazing how just getting your tempo down has really improved the fluidness of your swing pattern.  Seriously, kudos for the improvement.

Here is what I notice within your swing at the moment, based on your most recent videos....  Your head lifts or raises quite a bit on the back swing. Your feet and legs look better.  But your shoulders need to turn more vertical and less horizontal.  Here is what you should try and work on - which is going to help you master a centered pivot - aka Steady Head, Key #1.

Continue to do #1 and 2 and add #3:

1.) Straighten your trail leg (left) in the back swing (like you are currently).

2.) Flex your forward leg (right) in the back swing such that it points more towards the ball (like you are currently doing).

3.) But turn your right shoulder underneath your chin... Get more vertical with your shoulder turn.

4.) Keep your head against the wall - and do not sway left or right - up or down.  Keep it steady.

Here is a good reference photo of how your forward knee should be flexing toward the golf ball - and trail leg straightening at the top of the backswing.

Also notice how much more vertical Dave's shoulders are at the top of the back swing than your shoulders are in comparison.

In your current golf swing... To get vertical - you are standing up in the back swing.  That is a 'no, no'.  Get those shoulders turning steeper, and keep that head steady.  Continue to work on this and re-film your swing once you feel like you have nailed it.  Here is a drill to help get the shoulders more vertical, while maintaining a steady head.

Hey the swing is much improved and as far as your hands go, you should be at a comfortable upright athletic stance and let your arms hang loosely. That is pretty much right where you need to be. Not reaching out for the ball. You will get used to it, I did the same and felt the same way. Way better swing, keep up the good work.

PS that guy in the video needs an ascot...

Note: This thread is 3408 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!