IGNORED

What do you think of TaylorMade Rocketballz and Rocket Bladez Irons?

hacker101
Note:Β This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Well thanks for the info, I could not use the Rocketbladz at all. They are hard even with good shots, not buttery like I like. Even to get the extra 5 to 10 yards where not worth how they felt.

There was a word that came to mind but will keepΒ it as they just did not fit my game. But Β I have to say they hit far and are accurate but the feeling is not there.

Playing X series Callaways for so many years i got used to them and liked how they performed andΒ feel.

I went with the Razer X for that feeling again and the 75g graphite shafts. I could not get used to steel as it seems i have the start of arthritis so every off center hit with the TM where just killing me. I am not a long hitter so the few yards does not bother me as long as I can feelΒ the club. I have a great short game, under 150 so I will stick with that.

At 50 you play with what fits you the best, I know that a lot of people really like them. The thin face and loft change is what a lot of company's are going to in order to get that extra yardage.

Funny I was playing with my son to day he is the same not a long hitter but dam get him under 150 hard to keep up with him.

Mike M.

IronsΒ G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome,Β 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

It really comes down to what you are looking for. Distance, feel, workability but the bad part is you can not seem to get all that in one club. But according to a guy my farther in law knows at TM most are now looking for that distance now and do not care about feeling or work ability. All are adding an extra little to the shaft and jacking the lofts up. I like the idea of putting the loft degree on the club as it seems the numbers has no meaning. Now my father in law is lookingΒ at new clubs he has only played 10 plus roundsΒ on his diabloΒ and they work great for him, I guess he wants to hit is further?

But to each his own and what ever works for one may not be for the other.

Mike M.

IronsΒ G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome,Β 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by hacker101

Playing X series Callaways for so many years i got used to them and liked how they performed andΒ feel.

I went with the Razer X for that feeling again and the 75g graphite shafts. I could not get used to steel as it seems i have the start of arthritis so every off center hit with the TM where just killing me.

In my late 50s, I dropped stiff shafts for regular (probably about four years too late). Played X20s for a season, and switched to X20 Tours with PX 5.0 shafts (about 115 grams).

I had driver and FW shafts in the 60-70 gr. range. The past summer, I went with RBZ 4W, 7W (45 gr.) and 4H (65 gr.) After making an otherwise positve breakthrough on my swing, I had a big problem with RBZ hook misses. Heavier driver still didΒ OK.

I'm wondering if we get into tempo trouble if our iron shafts weigh a lot more than our FW and H shafts. (FW shaft = 45 gr. / iron shaft = 115 gr.)

This fall I went from standard to midsize grips on RBZ, and have a lot fewer hooks. But, it feels like I have to baby the RBZ shots to hit it square.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• CompletedΒ KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking Academy:Β Fitting, Assembly & RepairΒ School (2012)

Driver:Β  :touredge:Β EXSΒ 10.5Β°, weights neutralΒ  Β ||Β Β FWs:Β Β :callaway:Β RogueΒ 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball: Β image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.pngΒ QStar Tour - DivideΒ  ||Β Β Bag: :sunmountain:Β Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have no problem with Taylormade using changing the loft on an iron to get more distance, unless, I lose loft of height from the club. My understanding is that Taylormade off sets the loss of loft with a bottom weighted club head that gets the loft back up so the club hits higher with less loft in the iron face. If that's true I like it, because it's a definite advantage to hit a higher shot further, to get over a tree or land a green that is tough to hold your ball on.

As for the Rocketbalz or however they spell it, distance, I go to the PGA tour stat page and look at how far they hit a driver for the last four years and see if it goes further with a new club You know what, it never does.

So after playing the Rocketbladez a bit more I can say these are the most accurate irons I have played. I will play these for some time to come. Accuracy and distance unbelievable! Coming from a doubter...

I have the new rocketbladez and I love them. Wife told me to get fitted for Xmas. I went to golfsmith and was a little skeptical myself when the launch monitor was showing that I was carrying distances my ball would usually end at. Took them out to play on a 40* day in pa and normally this time of year I'm hitting all my clubs about 10-15 yards shorter than summertime, with these clubs I was hitting everything about what I hit them on the hottest days in the summer. Guessing I've gained at least 10 yards with all of my clubs. I'm sure the proper flex is also contributing to this. But even my misfits off the toe are flying straighter and further. As to the comment smoke and mirrors that is something someone who really doesn't know would say. I bought my first set of taylormade rac's about 4 years ago? And never looked back played great with them but wanted to get fitted and liked the new slot technology which I can tell you with the fitting and new clubs I've been hitting my 4-iron from fairway about 190 carry. The look is appealing and when I started I played with blades not knowing any better, when you hit a blade on the sweet spot it feels awesome as do these, the ball seems to jump off the club face. It took me a couple rounds to adjust to the new clubs but I also had a 1/4" added to each shaft because that's what I was fitted for, def look into a fitting. I did with the driver last year and was hitting so well decided it was time to get the irons done. Good luck.

I attempted to do the rocketbladez challenge until I took the clubs in the back checked the length and loft. That was equivalent to my ap1 6 iron. So I hit the two and watched the hotter faced rocketbladez fall short of my ap1. Just a bunch of marketing bs.

In myΒ Β stand bag

Β :titleist:910d2 8.5*

Β Β speedline fast 12 3wΒ 

Β 910h 17*Β 

:titleist:Β 712 cb/mb 3-p

Β :mizuno:Β MP-T4 56* 60*

Β :nike:Β method 001Β 

:srixon:Β tour yellow z star xvΒ 

You can call it marketing bs all you like, fact is, In my case anyway, I'm hitting my new irons straighter, further, and most importantly more consistently ( same distance and closer to the center of the green). I'm sure the fitting helped but I know when I hit the sweet spot with these clubs it's very similar to the feeling of a blade or forged type club.

Whats in my :sunmountain:Β C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno:Β JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno:Β JPX 850Β 15*, :mizuno:Β JPX-850 19*, :mizuno:Β JPX Fli-Hi #4,Β :mizuno:Β JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno:Β MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland:Β Smart Square BladeΒ and :bridgestone:Β B330-S

• 2 weeks later...

I just switched from my R9 irons (S300 true temper, non-TP version) to these in the RFΒ steel/stiff last weekend. I have had one full range session and two rounds of golf so far. I'm a 12 handicapper, here's my take.

Even though theseΒ have longer shafts & stronger lofts I found that on the rangeΒ I lost a few yards, this was after hitting many side by side shots with both sets. I have to admit I was initially disappointed and thought that it was kind of strange with TM's marketing so I weighed each club of both sets. I found that in addition the the R9 shafts being heavier (100 grams), the heads are heavier as well.Β That's the only negative thing I can say.

The flight is noticably higher which is fine with me, I like soft landing shots. I definitely noticed theΒ distances beingΒ more consistent, whichΒ made the loss of a few yardsΒ a much smaller issue in a hurry. Then, as I got my two rounds in, I starting hitting more greens more often.Β So, for whatever reason, theyΒ seem to beΒ straighterΒ as well. Another thingΒ I noticed is they have a unique sound and feel that I was unsure of through my first 20 or 30 swings on the range. Since then they haveΒ quickly become very comfortable andΒ I really like the sound/feel now. Looking forward to playing a bunch more with these but I'm alreadyΒ  100% happy withΒ the switch.

R9's were a little longer but way less consistant on the distance. On top of that, occasionally I would hit one on the sweet spot and the ball would fly a club longer that it should have. Not good for approach shots. I've heard some of my golfing buddies say the same about the Burner 1.0 & 2.0 irons also.

Looking forward to demo'ing the R1 & Stage 2 drivers soon.

• 1 month later...

I played taylor made r7 cgb irons for many years after playing callaway irons exclusivelyΒ  for many years before and ping eye 2 irons before that.I liked callaway butΒ  I really liked the feel and distance of the r7 irons. I am an average golfer usually shoot from 85-95 have shot several 80 rounds but never broke 80. Β  Last year i went to rocketballz and they were ok but they were very big and bulky and distracted me at address and never had confidence in clubs at setup. I dont play hybrids and prefer to hit a 4 iron and use a 7 wood in place of a 3 iron.Β  The 4 and 5 iron were so thick on rocketballz that i used my 4 and 5 iron r7 irons instead. This year I went to demo clubs at my local store where they let you hit outside and indoors on launch monitor .Β  I went with the thought to buy ping g25 irons .Β  I decided to try the rocketbladez irons also.Β  The pings were ok and I hit them ok but shots seemed to balloon and clubs were very thick and clunky looking at setup.Β  I was hitting the rocketbladez very well and while not a blade they are much more pleasing at setup than the rocketballz and ping g25 irons. They are more similar to my taylor made r7 irons.Β  I decided to go indoors to launch monitor.Β  I usually hit a 6 iron 170-175 yards.Β  I was consistantly hitting the rocketbladezΒ  6 iron 184-186 yards on launch monitor ( and that is carry yards)Β  the ping was different i hit it from 165 - 180 but wasnt consistant . I kept going between the 2 clubs and i consistantly hit the rocketbladez 6 iron 184-186 it never varied as much as the ping ( hitting 25-30 shots with each club)Β  I really went with the intention of buying the pings but I really liked the feel look and performance of the rocketbladez .Β  I tried the 4 iron in each club which i usuallly hit around 195-205 at best.Β  Again ping was erratic going from 190 up to 210 and club very thick sole and top line.Β  The rocketbladez was consistant at 215-218.Β  I ended up buying the rocketbladez.Β  They were very easy to hit, and long and look nice at setup.Β  I usually have a lower trajectory but these get up in air easily but do not balloon.Β  I am sure some people would disagree but this was the experience for me.Β  I really was going in with mindset to go with something other than taylor made since I was a little disappointed with the rocketballz irons . But, I tried all different irons and couldn't come close to the distance and more notably consistancy of these irons. The salesman said that several of the salesman in the store ( most of which are scratch golfers) have bought the rocketbladez tour irons instead of their normal bladed irons because they can get extra distance and more consistant distancesΒ  ( they arent on commision and dont care which iron you buy so no reason to think he is lying especially since I know several of them personally) .Β  I hope this helps you in your decision.

IMHO I see them as over marketed techno clubs with super juiced lofts.Β  With that being said I should point out that this opinion should have no sway on your decision to buy/play them or not.Β  How do they feel to you?Β  Do they inspire confidence?Β  Do they calm you? Do they please your eye?Β  Club selection and purchase is such a personal thing I'm not sure how much honestly helpful data you're going to get asking the question here.Β  I would say this though, if you are in any way unsure then don't do it.Β  That is a lot of money to spend on something you're not positive of.

P.S. don't trust the monitors

Just did some more range work with my new Rocketbadez irons with graphite shafts.Β  Only took the PW, 7i and 5 hybrid, the new Stage 2 model that came with the set.Β  Scoped out three pins on the practice range with the Bushnell laser:Β  short flag = 105; middle flag = 148; long = 193.

These were perfect distances for the three clubs I brought.Β  My standard numbers with my old clubs were PW 110, 7i 145; 5 hybrid 170-175.

With the Rocketbladez PW, I was hitting the 105 flag on green with regularity.Β  Those that were flushed were off the back of the green.Β  Tremendous height with the PW ... much more than my old irons.Β  The 7i was reaching the 148 pin perfectly.Β  Again, very high and very straight shots for the most part.Β  Even my misses might have been short, but right on line with the pin.Β  My pull-draws went long, probably in the 155 range.

What impressed me most was the first swing with the Stage 2 #5 hybrid that rolled up to the front edge of the green where the flag was laser marked at 193.Β  Probably hit that shot 185.Β  Looked at clubface ... right on the button.Β  Anything I hit well with the 5-hybrid was around 180 yards.Β  Even the bad misses still went 160.Β  My misses are weak, toe shots that end up left of target but with the Stage 2 RBZ hybrid, only about 10 yards left.

So far, I'm impressed with the height on the shots and the straight ball flight.Β  Typically, everything I hit goes left and I'm prone to pull-draws on bad swings.Β  It's really nice to line up, put a good swing on the ball and it actually goes STRAIGHT and stays online with the target.Β  As far as contact goes, the irons are smooth as silk.Β  No massive 'click' or 'thwhack' at impact ... just a nice compressed sound of a solid strike.Β  Even though the temperature was only approaching 50 degrees and the balls were likely cold, the irons still hit smoothly, IMO.

Can't wait for some warmer weather.Β  First official league date is April 4.Β  PRAYING for warmer weather!

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted by Razorback1

for all those complaining about TM jacking up their lofts for longer distances, so what other manufactors are doing the same thing.Β  In fact Callaway's X Hot Irons have stronger lofts that TM Rocketbladze.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/global/en-us/golf-equipment/golf-clubs/irons/x-hot-irons/specs.html

+1, Mizuno is doing it too, I think they are all doing it.

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

I think theyre nothing special.Β  Longer shafts and stronger lofts dont impress me because simply hitting the ball farther isnt what its all about.Β  In terms of the Rocketbladez, those arent blades and no true blade player wants an iron that feels springy.

As with most everything else that is TM, is much more hype and smoke 'n mirrors than it is actual reality.

As is the case with every brand from Ping to Mizuno, to Miura and back.

And the RocketBlades do not feel springy.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Note:Β This thread is 3157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!