IGNORED

Great Iron Set for 10 Handicap

Banks
Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so i definitely appreciate any feedback.

I have only been playing golf for 3.5 years but i am a 10 handicap. I currently have Burner 09' irons and am looking to get potentially get a new set of irons.

I strike my irons pretty well and usually tend to hit them high.

I have swung the Callaway Razr black iron, the Razr tours and the taylormade rocketblades....I kinda liked the Razr blacks.

Any feedback or tips to which irons i should scope out?

Thanks a bunch!

-Banks

Best bet is to go to a fitter. They'll let you swing everything in the building, and their equipment will tell you what clubs you hit the most consistently. I did my fitting through Golftec. If there's one near you, the fitting is free if you order the clubs through them. Also, since they order directly from the manufacturers, any adjustments you need are done for free and by the manufacturers. For example, my clubs are two inches longer than normal. Since they were ordered that way from Mizuno, they were made two inches long instead of having the extensions attached, which eventually break off.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Boy, if you got to a 10 after 3.5 years why do you want to change out your gear? What are you looking for in your irons that the Burners aren't doing for you? Don't listeen to all the hype out there.

IMHO, all the major club makers make great irons. I personally like Ping irons, I play the G15s. But then I play Cobra woods and Snake Eye wedges. So I am not married to one club maker.

Today I was in a golf store and I hit the Mizuno irons which I really liked. I liked the look and feel but I didn't get any benefit on the launch monitor so why spend the money. My recomendation would be to bring your 7i or 6i to a fitter and try all the makers you can. See what the launch monitor tells you. If you don't see a big improvement then why switch. Unless of course you are just tired of your clubs and want a change.

I concur with the post above that states that if it is working why change? However, if you do really want to change (and I can appreciate wanting a set of shiny new sticks) and you want some forgiveness give the Nike Pro Cavity a hit when you are testing out clubs.

I started playing again this year after a 10 year hiatus and I needed something that was more forgiving than Hogan Apex PC Blades that I use to play and after testing out several different clubs I chose the Nikes. They offer a nice compromise of forgiveness with the ability to play a variety of shots.

As has been stated before though try everything you can get your hands on and have the pro/ club fitter tape up the clubs so you cannot see the name, which will take out some of manufacturer bias that is inherent within a lot of gofers ( I am including myself in that group) and make the decision purely on how the club feels in your hands and when you hit a shot.

Good luck with your search.

Hey cooke119... Well, I have been practicing a lot and am looking to get much better. I have broken 80 3 times and am planning to take another 3-5 lessons this season. I guess I just want to give myself the best chance to play well. And, I do kind of want a new look for my irons but also a bit better quality I presume. I have heard that mizuno make some of the better irons. What type were you swinging in the store?

Originally Posted by Banks

Hey cooke119...

Well, I have been practicing a lot and am looking to get much better. I have broken 80 3 times and am planning to take another 3-5 lessons this season.

I guess I just want to give myself the best chance to play well. And, I do kind of want a new look for my irons but also a bit better quality I presume.

I have heard that mizuno make some of the better irons. What type were you swinging in the store?

When you hit a Mizuno well...it is just sooooo nice!!

At a 10 I would think you would be in the MP 53, 57, 58, 59 range depending on what you like.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by Banks

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so i definitely appreciate any feedback.

I have only been playing golf for 3.5 years but i am a 10 handicap. I currently have Burner 09' irons and am looking to get potentially get a new set of irons.

I strike my irons pretty well and usually tend to hit them high.

I have swung the Callaway Razr black iron, the Razr tours and the taylormade rocketblades....I kinda liked the Razr blacks.

Any feedback or tips to which irons i should scope out?

Thanks a bunch!

-Banks

I am a 16,1 after 18 months or so and as stated in my own thread have been looking for an upgrade on my burners. I went for the fitting today and found that the MP-64's were absolutely beautiful to play with and would def recommend them based on my feeling this morning.

I tried the I20, AP2, JPX 825 Pro and the MP-64's.

The I20 was lovely and easy to hit with good distances the only problem was that, for me, it did not seem to give the feedback that I was looking for and did not seem to add enough to justify the change from the Burners. It was certainly better but I got the feeling that I would want to change again a year down the line.

The AP2 just did not work for me at all. It looks lovely and was one I expected to really like but the weighting in the head did not work for me in the slightest.

Next I tried the MP-64, which I thought would be too much club. I soon understood the "buttery" feel that everyone talks about but also felt the feedback that I have always been missing. However, importantly always made solid contact with great dispersion in the shots. I certainly lost distance at the start but by the end was hitting 130 carrys rolling out to a reported 160 which was equal or longer than my burners and felt that there was easily enough forgiveness in them for me not to be scared even with my 16 handicap.

I did try the 825 Pros but after the MP-64s they felt hard on all but perfect shots and there was no way I could go any way other than ordering the 64's, hence I will be ordering 5-Pw in 64's and 3 and 4 in the H4's once the manager is back in house next week.

Definately go for a fitting and try a few sets out as everyone is different and it makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by Lefty-Golfer

When you hit a Mizuno well...it is just sooooo nice!!

At a 10 I would think you would be in the MP 53, 57, 58, 59 range depending on what you like.

This is true. A well-struck shot with a Mizuno iron sounds, feels, and looks incredible. It'd take a lot for me to buy any other brand. I'm currently playing off about a 12 and loving the MP 53s. I stepped away for a while, but as I'm shaking the rust off, these clubs seem to adjust to me. Forgiving enough to keep you out of trouble, but if you know what you're doing, workable as anything I've ever picked up.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

Rather than recomend a specific club, my recomendation is determine if you want to progress from a Game Improvement iron to a Player's iron.  Then decide if you want to try a forged club or stick with cast.  Knowing no more than what I've read here, my thoughts are you should progress to a Player's iron and go with forged.  If you're ready to start shaping your shots, you'll apprreciate the forged irons.

There has been good advice on this thread to get fit, I agree with that advice but I would caution you to not fall into the prejudices that exist in this game - there are a lot of good club manufactures out there not named Mizuno.  Be open-minded about manufacturers and do a little research during the search for your next set of irons and you'll be happier in the end.

I just picked up a set of Nike VR Pro Combo CB.  First time in a forged club for me.  I am extremely happy with them.  I love the look, feel, and performance.  It's like throwing darts.  The extra forgiveness of the cavity will be a good transition from my old Ping Eye 3 O-size.  I also hit Mizuno MP-64, 63 and 53 at the golf shops and liked them a lot.  I probably would have bought Mizunos but I won the e-bay auction for the Nikes (at an absolute steal).

Here is what I was shopping:

Mizuno MP-63, or Mizuno MP-64

Titleist CB

Nike VR Pro Combo CB, or Nike VR Pro Combo (has blades for 8,9,PW)

I am sure there are others... I just never researched them.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...
I am in So. Cal near San Pedro. I have some old Taylor made blades. Were talking 80'S years. Everyone tells me I need to upgrade. I love them but I am getting on a fence ready to jump. There Tour preferred. I will wager there is not much groves left on them. My problem is which club? I am a researcher and the more I research the more undecided I become. I was interested in the Taylor R11 irons. I read a review that a good golfer who uses a lot of wrist at impact does not recomend them/ that is what I do lots of hands. I read where the Cobra AMP forged irons are awesome...except out of the ruff..I. could go on and on. I like Taylor made but am no brand junkie. I seen some beautiful Nike Irons but am unsure about there quality. I am above average golfer..I scramble a lot. I have shot below par but consider myself a 10 handicaper due to lack of play and hitting balls. Where is the best place around to get fitted? My swing speed is only 95mph. I can carry my 9 iron 135 yards when I am swinging well.I hit my Cleveand 60° wedge 85 to 90 yards. Will the KBS shafts be a good shaft with the slow swing speed? I am close to Long Beach CA. I found a site that sells dirt cheap too.

I am a 12 handicapper and just got fitted for some cobra amp cell irons and absoulty love them! Hit them better than any other club including the rocketbladz. Try them out. I even got a free hybrid when I ordered them!

Who did you order your clubs from? I was seriously thinking about going with R 11. I have yet to hit any new irons lately.. I heard the inserts on those Cobra amps can come out.. I guess I need to hit some clubs and see what fits me. I think I will get the RBZ Driver...just not the irons in the RBZ line

I am a 7 handicap and i just got fitted for the mizuno mp-59s. i really like the look of the blade and thin look but with a little cavity on them. I hit some ping irons but hit them really high. the mizunos really brought it down. the nike vr pro combos hit very well. its really all about preference. its all about hitting a lot of different irons and getting a feel

Note: This thread is 4007 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!