IGNORED

What part of the swing do you or did you find the hardest to learn.

Note: This thread is 4115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What part of the swing do you or did you find the hardest to learn.

• Take away
    • Wrist hinge
    • Top of the back swing
    • Droping into the slot
    • Impact
    • Follow through

For me I have a brain fart at impact, I seem to stall and not follow through. Once that happens my wrist want to pick up the ball just not all the time.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by jclark

If you can drop the club into the slot you can pretty much fire as hard as you want at the ball. Getting the club in the slot is tough if your weight shift and transition is jacked up, like me!

Same here, I'm working on that now with a swing coach.

Same here, I'm working on that now with a swing coach.

Let me know how it goes! So far I have had no luck...

- Jered

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm amazed that setup, ball position and distance from ball aren't in this list.  I mean you wouldn't setup a Pingman ball hitting machine tilted too much, too close/far from the ball and/or with the ball too far forward or back relative to its swing path and then blame it's miss hitting the ball on "not dropping it in the slot" or not "having a good impact position".  You can't override basic geometry with much success.  If your geometries are setup properly in the first place then you're body will naturally do the right things.  Two more cents for ya'll:)

Originally Posted by rtylerg

I'm amazed that setup, ball position and distance from ball aren't in this list.  I mean you wouldn't setup a Pingman ball hitting machine tilted too much, too close/far from the ball and/or with the ball too far forward or back relative to its swing path and then blame it's miss hitting the ball on "not dropping it in the slot" or not "having a good impact position".  You can't override basic geometry with much success.  If your geometries are setup properly in the first place then you're body will naturally do the right things.  Two more cents for ya'll:)

I did not put setup on the list since it is pre-swing but a lot of people have added in here. I agree you have to have the set up right to start the swing. Great responses guys.

For me my position and swing path are fine it is just when I go to hit that dam little white ball. It is all mental, I somtimes wonder if I closed my eye I would swing through. All mental!

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Long term problem has been getting a crisp set point at top without overswinging.

Past decade, I held onto stiff shafts for too long before switching to regular. So, I battle against trying to swing too hard, rather than just swinging smoothly.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by misty_mountainhop

Went for dropping into the slot. Was a key advance in my game when I was learning and good impact position pretty much followed on without much thought.

Any tips for someone thats trying to figure this out?Would a lesson from a pro help me to figure it out faster?

I've had problems with every part of my swing so this was a tough one to answer.  Learning the swing continues to be a slow and steady process starting with setup and take away just like everyone else.  So I answered based on present (as in last fall before arctic conditions set in) problems.  It was a tough choice between impact and follow through.  It was obvious during video lessons last year that I have a horrible chicken wing problem that causes inconsistent ball contact....usually thin or topped shots.  But then after a few of those I'll over compensate and hit a fat one.  When I follow through nicely, my ball impact improves.

I really have to feel like I'm extending my arms and reaching toward the target.  My instructor uses the Orange Whip which is a nice tool to magnify the "feel" associated with decent swing tempo and extension on the follow through.  This was what I was focusing on before work and weather shut down my golf season.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

For me it has been, and still is, how to load into my back foot without swaying, so I voted "takeaway".

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

Note: This thread is 4115 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!