IGNORED

Wind Play

Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live very close to the ocean (the North Atlantic at that) and that makes for typically windy conditions. I also tend to hit the ball very high which naturally makes things pretty difficult for me in terms of controlling direction.

I'm now trying to alter my game to hit the ball on a lower trajectory and I'm looking for any tips or articles you guys can give.

-- For Sale: Titleist 907 Driver

My advice is to play the ball slightly back in your stance (center or a touch further back) and try to sweep the ball instead of hitting down. I would also recommend taking an extra club or two and swinging more with the arms as opposed to the full body because the harder you hit down on a ball, the higher it will usually go in the air.

You could also try to keep your hands in front of the ball for longer after contact and work on a short follow-through. This would lead to more of a punch-like swing which should keep the ball flight down.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-3 10° Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 15° Purple Ice 75 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 19° YS-6+ StiffHybrid: Idea A2 20° Aldila NV 85 StiffIrons: Silver Scot Forged MB 4-PW, Rifle 6.0 ShaftsGap Wedge: Silver Scot Forged 52Sand/Lob Wedge: Vokey SM 58.12 Put...

Take a longer club with less loft and put the ball in the back of your stance.

I try to pin the ball into the ground with my iron shots and that keeps them low for me.

Finish shorter as well.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

I play in the panhandle of texas, we get about 2 months of the year without wind (5-15 mph) the rest is 20-25 mph on average.

TIPS:

1. short follow through.....short follow through.......short follow through, even with driver.

2. play a knockdown type shot with minimal spin.

3. forget "STICKIN IT", just concentrate on trajectories and run.

4. For REAL windy conditions (25 mph+) never use below a 7-iron (8-sw).

say 7-iron typically goes 175.
When presented with a 120-130 yrd shot (with no trouble in front, & flat) use 3/4 7-iron and aim for 20-30 yrds in front of green. Wind up to 25 mph probably wont even affect it too much.

*Try different clubs at the range to see how far the knockdown shot will carry AND roll.*

This shot has helped tremendously in lower my scores by having this as sort of a go to shot in all types of conditions (wind, rain, trouble, when rattled, etc...). Good luck to ya

Sumo 5000 10.5 Aldila NV 65-X Driver
PC-III 4-SW irons
Custom Putter
Pro-V1 Balls

I'm now trying to alter my game to hit the ball on a lower trajectory and I'm looking for any tips...

You don't necessarily need to change your trajectory, although it is helpful to have a punch shot, if not for wind play, than at least getting yourself out of tree trouble.

Anyway, The course I work at has a windy season from November to March, I'm talking severe winds too, as much as 3 club differences. I've learned that the best way to play the wind is to use it, not fight it. Just suck up your ego and take extra club when hitting into the wind (and of course, less club when following).

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 6139 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Partners

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    ShotScope
    The Stack System
    FlightScope Mevo
    Direct: Mevo, Mevo+, and Pro Package.

Coupon Codes (save 10-15%): "IACAS" for Mevo/Stack, "IACASPLUS" for Mevo+/Pro Package, and "THESANDTRAP" for ShotScope.
    • Thanks for including me on this article.  I really appreciate it.  I will try to explain what my objectives are and what I have done in the past with other instructors.  I have been to five instructors in 4 years.  Some of that time included a year layoff.  I told each one that my main goal was to make good contact and hit the ball straight, I didn't care about crazy long distance.  I know other things matter when hitting different clubs, where the ball is placed in the stance, rough or sand, etc.  1st instructor (about an hour away) was PGA certified, and he was more worried about me watching him hit his 6 iron straight than teaching me anything.  For the little time he watched me hit, he watched me hit ground ball after ground ball with no advice or suggestions.  2nd instructor (1.5 hours away) was better, but it was more about club lag/lean without really telling me how to do it.  3rd instructor (about 40 minutes away) was PGA certified and said he taught a relaxed swing.  I never really got what that meant.  4th instructor (1.75 hours away) was at a very nice country club and PGA certified with all the stuff a student would want.  Never looked at grip.  Also told me that the "wrists take care of themselves in the swing".  Really?  Have you seen all the questions about wrist hinge and timing?  Tells me to get weight on my lead foot/leg but no drills or thought processes on how to accomplish it.  Most current instructor (50 minutes away) looked at everything.  Checks grip, has a way to have my weight on my lead foot/leg, etc.  I said hey when do I come back.  He says after you have become comfortable with these "short" shots and making consistent contact, we will discuss a good time for another lesson.  I know being PGA certified matters to a lot of folks.  I sort of relate it to this:  I have had my vehicles worked on by my step grandfather, my father in law, my brother in law, even myself.  None of us are ASE certified, but it got fixed without tons of wrong guesses as to what it could be.  I am just a 50 year old guy that should have taken the game up 20-25 years ago.  I have always liked the sport a lot.  Just wanna be a guy that can hit the ball consistently and not hook, slice, and shank every other swing.  Many thanks you all. 
    • Day 125: 4/30/24 7 th program, session 5/24 of Full Speed Spectrum of current program. Dealing with a sore neck and injured index fingers. Tied for 3rd highest speed, of 5, but much slower than high speed several programs ago. 
    • Fair enough but I still think this writer is being a total dick pivoting his BS theory off this unsuspecting instructor, who for all we know might be the only chance those hacks will ever have of hitting a ball straight.
    • More actual thoughts on the articles: Oh boy. I taught 5SK, and before that, I was S&T certified. Those experiences, for many good instructors, are additive. They're not "all" that they are. If I were to go through Scott Cowx's certification, or Dr. Kwon's, or James Ridyard's, or whomever's… I wouldn't be a "method" teacher any more than I am now. I'd be adding tools to the toolbox. He says there are "system" teachers, "non-system" teachers, and method teachers. Which one am I? A "non-system teacher"? So, I don't have any systems or structure? Or am I a "system" teacher with a bunch of branches and if/then/else statements? I don't know. The physics thing as it relates to S&T… yeah, that's already been discussed. Huh? Brendan, sorry, that part is bogus AF. Of course the arms go "around" somewhat. It's back, up, and in. Down, out, and forward. Plus, again, "energy can either be created or destroyed" isn't even right, as many of you have said. It's "neither" and it can be transformed, too. Plus, as others noted, that's typically a closed system: in our bodies we transform sugars and other things to create movement, energy. I'm going to move off this before I get totally annoyed… "These are the pontifications of a method" — no, the specific example he cited is the way everyone who has ever played good golf moves their hands - back, up, and in. The clubhead moves that way, too. I've seen this happen. This part might be the most accurate part of the article (it's no longer clear whether he's talking about this fellow or just talking in general here.) "Now here’s the sinister thing: The overwhelming information is by design." — If the instructor is as incompetent as he says, he's likely not doing any of this "by design." He doesn't sound bright enough to do so. WTF does that have to do with anything? Probably happens to some extent sometimes, but is that the instructor's fault? Or the student for not recognizing it? Also, again, this instructor doesn't seem to be bright (not that this article even really talks about the instructor anymore), so… I doubt he's doing all of this intentionally. People are found out eventually. I'm at a point where I get a lot of referrals from people who have noticed their friends playing better golf, and ask. Or people want to brag about their improvements, and that sells their friends. "As a result, these players couldn’t play golf." — Huh? I think he just observed when he was there. Not that he went out of his way to watch. 😄 
    • I am dying..🤣 Can one of yall come and pick me up from the floor? 

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...