• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jcomer

Hitting behind the ball

5 posts in this topic

I'm not sure what to do or where to start,when I say behind the ball I mean 3-6 inches behind the ball.I'm new at golf and gonna get lesson in the spring.for now I will just stay hard at it but any input will really help thank you.

I'm not sure what to do or where to start,when I say behind the ball I mean 3-6 inches behind the ball.I'm new at golf and gonna get lesson in the spring.for now I will just stay hard at it but any input will really help thank you.

Good players have something like 90% of their weight on their forward foot at impact. That's rule number one towards not hitting fat and thin shots. The second rule is understanding where the handle of the club is at impact, which is governed by the angles created in the player's wrists.

Fat and thin shots are the product of the same issue: the swing's lowest point is behind the golf ball.

All good players strike the ball with their weight predominantly forward and the shaft of the club leaning forward (towards the target) at impact.

Example of a player who flips, leaves his weight back, hits it fat and thin, and generally plays awful golf:

Notice the bend in his left wrist. Notice that his hips have barely moved laterally. His weight is predominantly back and not even close to forward enough. The club's shaft is leaning away from the target.

Here's an example of a player who almost never hits it fat:

Weight is a lot more forward, there is significant bend in the right wrist, and the left wrist is flat. The golfer has forward shaft lean. This player probably hits his driver 100+ yards farther than the player in the first picture.

Keep in the mind that the head must stay relatively stable as the weight shifts forward. So the hips essentially slide with a steady head.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Make sure to keep your head still throughout the swing (which usually eliminates body sway as well).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2017 TST Partners

PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I'm not really a fan of putter wells to begin with. I think, though, that putting them on the side means they can interfere with the straps and things on push carts. Or on a driving cart, can get stuck between the two bags. Putting them on the "front" makes sense to me.
    • No, I haven't heard of the exotics.  Yea, I will look for that CB3.  I tried pretty much all they had for demos at the golf shop and they were all the same...cantaloupe on a stick; but they were all the latest tech.  It would take me a long time to get used to that.  I feel like getting used to it would mean just forgetting what it feels like to be in control of my driver and trusting the technology.  Which is probably not a bad thing....but I don't really want to make that sacrifice.  Getting the feedback from shots is important for me to know what I did right or wrong on the swing.  Is that r7 425 a 425cc head?  I mean, the 510 is only 330CC...using those giant things at the shop was incredibly different in a bad way(for me.)
    • Hi guys! My name is Tony, A newbie golfer from Vegas, 
    • Sorry, no. Like many things in golf… people are always seeking the "secret" or the quick and easy way to solve things. They latch onto things. They get persuaded into thinking "I've finally found it!" Some get stuck in that phase longer than others. Whether it's Ben Hogan followers, Mike Austinites, etc. there are pockets of these people all over golf. I, obviously, prefer 5 Simple Keys®. No "secrets," and it encompasses all the things EVERY good player actually DID, not what one player thinks they did, or others say they did.
    • And… http://www.golf.com/ap-news/jordan-roethlisberger-timberlake-play-bethpage Not really. Many of the players broke 100. And that, as John pointed out, is the U.S. Open course. Local Qualifiers are played at a regular course set up for regular play. They barely do anything for sectional qualifying… This isn't a U.S. Open course. I think that if the 20 is a LEGIT 20, he breaks 127 the majority of the time. I know how bad bad golfers can be, but 126/18 is 7 per hole. For every five, you can make a 9. There are going to be holes where he makes a nine or a ten, sure, but there are going to be holes where he makes a 3, 4, or 5. One time. You've also seen him make a birdie, I presume… and probably far more often than you've seen him make a 19. There aren't 4-5 carts following guys in local qualifying. That's not how the local qualifying courses are typically set up. They're played pretty much under regular conditions. This.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. Just trying
      Just trying
      (33 years old)
    2. Peter_b
      Peter_b
      (45 years old)
    3. SACgolf
      SACgolf
      (51 years old)