IGNORED

How to stop topping my irons

justgotback
Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I find that most Amatuers have the ball back to far in there stance.

I would work on the first two keys, steady head and weight forward. Check out some of the threads on the forum about these subjects, specifically the swing thoughts thread, some great information there.

If your wondering about your alignment. Take two clubs, lay them down forming a cross, then use that as a reference for ball placement. Depending if you keep your stance the same width for every iron shot, or shorten the stance will dictate were the ball will be. Keeping the stance the same, you must vary your ball position in your stance. Shortening the stance, you can keep the ball position near the same area.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sounds like ball placement Imo. You probably have it to far forward in your stance. If your topping it with your irons, try to put a little more pressure on your front foot.

[quote name="proflymaster" url="/t/65147/how-to-stop-topping-my-irons#post_814126"]Sounds like ball placement Imo. You probably have it to far forward in your stance. If your topping it with your irons, try to put a little more pressure on your front foot.[/quote] Thanks for the tip. I'll try that next time i go hit some balls!

I find that most Amatuers have the ball back to far in there stance.  I would work on the first two keys, steady head and weight forward. Check out some of the threads on the forum about these subjects, specifically the swing thoughts thread, some great information there.  If your wondering about your alignment. Take two clubs, lay them down forming a cross, then use that as a reference for ball placement. Depending if you keep your stance the same width for every iron shot, or shorten the stance will dictate were the ball will be. Keeping the stance the same, you must vary your ball position in your stance. Shortening the stance, you can keep the ball position near the same area.

Well, i was playing some people who shot pretty close to par, and they told me that it was too far up in my stance. I know its kind of hard to give tips without seeing my swing, but im just trying to be able to get under the ball everytime. Everytime Imade good contact on the ball it went exactly where i wanted it to. But, thanks for the tips!

Well, i was playing some people who shot pretty close to par, and they told me that it was too far up in my stance. I know its kind of hard to give tips without seeing my swing, but im just trying to be able to get under the ball everytime. Everytime Imade good contact on the ball it went exactly where i wanted it to. But, thanks for the tips!

The most common beginner mistake is trying to "get under the ball". You don't lift the ball into the air with your irons. You strike down on the ball and the loft on the club creates the elevation.

Well, trying to help the ball in the air, could just be a side effect of straightening the forward leg to fast, and loosing the angle in the hips. So i would really look at striking down on the ball as something you need to be concerned about, if you take care of the other problems, then its hard not to hit the ball first

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ball placement notwithstanding, when I start topping/hitting thin it seems generally to be connected to not shifting my weight properly so that most of it is on my left leg when striking the ball.  This is one of my personal bugaboos and, of course, may not be your problem at all.  But it is something to check yourself on.

In my case, I don't think it is directly connected to trying to 'lift' or 'scoop' the ball so much as simply poor swing technique, but I believe a person would do basically the same thing when trying to 'lift' a shot.  In any case, getting my weight shift right seems to facilitate hitting down on the ball at contact and much better results in general.

• Upvote 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

another thing to pay attention to is looking up early trying to see where the shot is going.  If you do this then you will naturally pull your body up and thus, your club which will give you a thin/topped shot.

Your head shouldn't stay perfectly still but you should definitely stay focused on the impact zone until the clubhead has come through it.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Are you topping it on an upswing or a downswing?

If upswing then your swing is bad and no one thing is going to help you until you get your swing fixed.

If downswing then move the ball slightly up in your stance.

I top the ball sometimes but it is never on an upswing. Sometimes I drift to far forward too fast trying to hit the ball low and catch the top of the ball. You've got to focus on driving the ball forward and DOWN not up. The physics of the club will make the ball go up so you don't need to help it.

Note: This thread is 4075 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!