IGNORED

Homemade Shots

clutchshot
Note: This thread is 4043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After watching Big Break this season which had a hockey player who created his own shot called the "saucer pass" which basically consisted of him sliding the club across the ground like a hockey stick to make contact with the ball and create a chip shot, I got to thinking, how many people have something they created in thief shot bag? Personally, I golf in southern MI and northern OH where we have a lot of thick forests. Being that I often hit into these forests, I had to create something special that wouldnt fly upwards. My standard swing is pretty common to what a swing should look like, My special shot however comes from gripping the club completely different (both palms completely on grip), weight on my toes, quarter back swing and a smack the ball. The result a ball that flies about 4 ft high for 50 yards then rolls another 50 or more depending on club. The perfect get me out of the woods shot that works every time. Who else has created a homemade shot?

Originally Posted by clutchshot

After watching Big Break this season which had a hockey player who created his own shot called the "saucer pass" which basically consisted of him sliding the club across the ground like a hockey stick to make contact with the ball and create a chip shot, I got to thinking, how many people have something they created in thief shot bag?

Personally, I golf in southern MI and northern OH where we have a lot of thick forests. Being that I often hit into these forests, I had to create something special that wouldnt fly upwards. My standard swing is pretty common to what a swing should look like, My special shot however comes from gripping the club completely different (both palms completely on grip), weight on my toes, quarter back swing and a smack the ball.

The result a ball that flies about 4 ft high for 50 yards then rolls another 50 or more depending on club. The perfect get me out of the woods shot that works every time.

Who else has created a homemade shot?

I'm not the inventor of this but have hit the ball in trouble so many times that I am good at it, and I am the only person I know that I've seen use it.

If something is behind the ball like a tree, rock, fence, ect. impeding my back swing I stand with my back to the target so my back swing and my "forward swing" are parallel to my toe line (and the obstacle) until it almost reaches the ball to the left of my left foot. The club face is facing the target at address (or in the opposite direction I am facing). With some practice it only needs a foot or so of clearance between the ball and the obstruction to hit pretty much a full shot with any club.

Of course the ball will hook and that has to be played and the odds of pulling off a perfect shot are slim but even on a poor attempt it will advance the ball a long way in the general direction of the green (and is a lot better than taking a drop or chipping out sideways).

I need pictures of your setup position.  I can't really visualize it, but I struggle with those shots where something keeps me from making a full backswing.

Draw me a picture in mspaint? :)

I have this one where I actually hit the ball on the hosel of the club instead of the face. Everything else is basically the same as a normal shot, except it flies at a 45 degree angle from your path to half the normal distance.

There's another one where I legitimately chipped a ball at a mini golf course; I used a mallet putter that had a "ring" of metal around the back, forming a D shape. I gripped up to about 10 inches from the head, used part of the ring as the leading edge, and forced the ring under the ball. This was off a shag carpet sort of surface and there was a really flat and steep slope that was impossible to putt up to as there was only 3-4 feet of flat space near the hole. My shot went by the hole by an inch left, hit the wall and bounced off to 2 feet without rolling back down. Made the 3, my friends made from 5 to 7 trying to putt.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have this one where I actually hit the ball on the hosel of the club instead of the face. Everything else is basically the same as a normal shot, except it flies at a 45 degree angle from your path to half the normal distance.

I have that shot perfected. I hit it all the time. Just usually not on purpose. ;)

Originally Posted by Unkynd

I need pictures of your setup position.  I can't really visualize it, but I struggle with those shots where something keeps me from making a full backswing.

Draw me a picture in mspaint? :)

I only had 100 yards to demo this shot without hitting my neighbor's house so this is a PW. With longer clubs the ball has more time to hook and it's actually easier on longer shots than shorter shots.

• Upvote 1

That's awesome!!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Since i don't like punching out of trouble, i created a punch duck hook. I would way aim my body way right, put the ball back in my stance, and hood the clubface so its pointing more towards the target. I would then hit very hard down on the ball, like a punch shot, and really get my wrist turning over. What this causes is a ball that will fly out into the fairway, then take a left turn. In the past, i've been able to get the ball to curve at least 60 degrees, its a great shot for advancing the ball further down the fairway, i've come close to hitting a few greens from 70-100 yards away as well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I don't think I invented it - but I do this thing I call "the chop shot" when I'm a yard or 2 off the green.  It's basically what it sounds like . . I set up normal but take a tiny backswing and then "chop" straight down on the ball, trapping it between my club and the ground.  There is almost no follow-through - the ground pretty much stops the club.  The ball pops up and lands on the green with a lot of right spin - so I aim a little left.  It's pretty much the only time I ever get noticable spin - I sort of fell into it because I suck at chipping.

I have a buddy that uses your "chop shot," I gave it a whirl, but was unable to be consistent with it. I use my 56 degree wedge by the greens, it's dependable for putting a ball high in the air and then dropping with no roll.

Note: This thread is 4043 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!