IGNORED

Need a little help when I go to the range

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I live in WI and don't really get to hit the clubs all winter. I just went to the range for the 1st time this past weekend and after I left I was wondering if what I do when I go to the range is even worth the time or $. I mean I know any range time is better than none but I was hoping someone on here would be able to tell me what is a good way to use your range time. Im a high 90's to low 90's golfer and what I typically do when I go to the range is start with my gap wedge and chip a few then go to full swing with that hit a few then  go W-9-8-7-6... so on and end with the driver. I try to go once a week once the weather permits. I was thinking to myself with the number of balls I hit (70) usually should I be only hitting a few clubs and kinda trying to groove them or is what I'm doing ok. Ill take any advice even if thats to hit more balls or whatever.

Thanks

Jake

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in NYC, so I have a bit of the same issue. It's hard to get to a course around here. What I discovered on here and found very useful is putting a strip of masking tap behind the ball, if you hit the tape then it means you're hitting the ground first. It at least helps to identify if you're making good contact.

Hi Jake,

I warm up by hitting 6-8 wedges then follow with 8 Iron, 6 Iron and 4 Iron (if you carry one) in same manner. Always focus on a target when hitting on range. The rest of the bucket I use as if I were on the course - I imagine that I'm playing a Par Five - I hit Driver then I hit 3 Wood then Wedge - if I mis-hit one of the clubs I give myself one more shot with it before moving on to next club - always focusing on a target. Then I play a Par 4 with Driver then 7 Iron in same manner. Mix up the irons through your practice. Your practice sessions will be more meaningful, each club you hit will feel like game mode. This was taught to me by a teaching pro some years ago - ever since that lesson life at the driving range has never been boring!

Good Luck,

Detroit Lion Fan

• Upvote 1

Here is what I do when I just go to the range.  I don't hit every club in the bag. I hit my PW - 8I - 6I- 4H - 3W - D.  I hit more balls on the lower end and less with my Driver.  Since you score like me, that means you are hitting Driver at most 14 times a round, maybe less if you are hitting a 3W or Hybrid off of some of those tees.  Since the majority of my shots are hit with my 6/7I on down that is what I spend most of the time on.  I also hit about 30 balls on just chipping/pitching at various targets on the range.

Originally Posted by Jakester23

I live in WI and don't really get to hit the clubs all winter. I just went to the range for the 1st time this past weekend and after I left I was wondering if what I do when I go to the range is even worth the time or $. I mean I know any range time is better than none but I was hoping someone on here would be able to tell me what is a good way to use your range time. Im a high 90's to low 90's golfer and what I typically do when I go to the range is start with my gap wedge and chip a few then go to full swing with that hit a few then  go W-9-8-7-6... so on and end with the driver. I try to go once a week once the weather permits. I was thinking to myself with the number of balls I hit (70) usually should I be only hitting a few clubs and kinda trying to groove them or is what I'm doing ok. Ill take any advice even if thats to hit more balls or whatever.

Thanks

Jake

I try not to just "hit balls" at the range. That really doesn't do much for game improvement unless you are a beginner. IMO.

If you are shooting in the 90's, you are probably hitting some good shots but also quite a few poor shots and 3 putting quite a bit.

It my not seem like fun, but you could really make a huge dent in your scoring by becoming 'deadly' from 150 yards and in. If you can get on from 150yds, chip well and putt....you'll shoot in the 80's consistently.

Or if you are a slicer or have some other MAJOR issue that is holding you back....then go to the range with a plan to work on correcting that issue.

It's great to go to the range and hit balls to warm up before playing. But if you are going to the range to work on your golf game, then pick something to work on and do it...even if it is a 40 yard sand wedge....don't just hit balls.

And ALWAYS lay down an alignment stick! Driving ranges will kill your game without one!

In the bag:

Cleveland 3-PW Irons CG16, Cleveland CG15 gap, Cleveland 56 SW, TaylorMade Burner 2.0 driver, Nike SQ 3W, TaylorMade r7 Rescue, Scotty, Small Bottle of Crown!

A lot of good advice on clubs to hit and the sequence of hitting them.

I'm not a full blown range rat but as a scratch player I spend my fair share of time out there. One thing that amazes me is with all the great online help, you tube videos, and lessons available out there today I rarely if ever see the average guy working on any drills at all. They mostly just hit balls, occasionally someone will step back and mimic something in their swing then step back in and continue to just hit full shots.

Depending on what your working on in your swing, I would definitely try to work some actual drills into your practice routine.  I have 3 or 4 standard drills I like that I will use during a given range session. I may only use 1 or 2 of them each time I practice depending what I'm working on but I never just go hit balls. I like to alternate back and forth so I will say hit a ball with my feet together drill, then I'll hit a normal shot, and just repeat that for 20 balls then maybe go to something else.

The point is the range is where you really need to work on specific things in your swing. Drills that either come from your Pro or some other source will help you build a proper reliable swing and will go a long way in improving more than just "hitting balls"!

With 70 range balls you could take the first 40 balls and work on a couple drills, then as Mulligan Jeff suggested take the last 30 and "play" a round of golf, which is also a great way to practice in getting your game from the range to the course!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

I've never heard of the feet together drill what's that supposed to help with? Parker0065 can you give me a few drills to do?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm in NYC, so I have a bit of the same issue. It's hard to get to a course around here. What I discovered on here and found very useful is putting a strip of masking tap behind the ball, if you hit the tape then it means you're hitting the ground first. It at least helps to identify if you're making good contact.

Another tip like this, i was taught, is to start with a penny a couple inches behind the ball, if the penny flips up, you're hitting the mat earlier than the ball. As you get more consistant, keep moving the penny a little closer. I usually keep a roll in my bag because if you do catch the penny, it sometimes goes forward into the grass(not the best area to be running out to looking for a penny).

Originally Posted by Jakester23

I've never heard of the feet together drill what's that supposed to help with? Parker0065 can you give me a few drills to do?

Jake,

For me it's just a matter of keeping my tempo smooth and maintain my balance,,,ie not getting to quick in the transition.

My point was really a matter of employing some routine in your range practice. Utilizing drills embedded into your practice is simply a more productive way of actual improvement over just banging away at a bucket of balls. As far as what drills are best for you, you'll have to do your homework or receive guidance through a qualified pro or other source that has seen your swing.

If you haven't already, you could post your swing here and take the members analysis and then search you tube or this site for drills based on the needs of your swing!

Good Luck, Play Well!

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 4033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!