IGNORED

My Swing (nevets88)

nevets88

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 years

My current handicap index or average score is: 10

My typical ball flight is: High

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: left

Went to Golf Evolution and took a lesson with Erik a couple of weeks ago (of course it snowed) and contact feels much more solid now. Grip and backswing adjustment and more weight forward. I think I finally understand some aspects of the backswing plane I didn't before and it feels like I added more speed around the impact area without spraying the ball. Hitting fewer quick hooks and distance is better but can definitely do more weight forward.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

S has the notes, but essentially it was important for him to know that the TURN accomplished the "hands in" part (which eliminated some compensations he had to try to draw the ball during the downswing and follow-through), while the weight forward cleaned up impact and allowed him to keep control of the rate of closure on the follow-through.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

Practicing on turning more and weight forward, arms straight, extension as per E in March. Took a lesson from Mario last week and he had me shorten the BS (I overdid the turning bit), reving the motorcycle accelerator (bow) at the top and extension on the DS. Don't have the video, but got some serious forward shaft lean at impact, looked powerful, during the lesson.

I think I'm translating back (Key #1) a bit. Perhaps I need more extension on the BS?

Need more extension on the downswing?

Faking extension towards the end of the swing, heh, heh. Too late, eh?

Anyways, am going to sign up for Evolr tonight and submit this and the DTL.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 4 weeks later...

mvmac - so 0.5 out of 2 ain't bad? I did weaken my grip, but looking at the video, it hasn't changed much. butI know what to do to weaken it, I was just so monkeyed in on keeping the left knee in place. BTW, the ball in the left photo - I'm not hitting that - the ball to be hit isn't in the picture - bad camera positioning.

I've been looking at a lot of video of 5SK instructor swings - Mike, Erik, Dave and James. I noticed all of you, your knees are pretty quiet, my knees, not so much. So while I feel like they are more locked, they're still moving around quite a bit. It also feels like I'm restricting the hip turn, but the photo shows I'm still making a pretty big hip turn. And I feel like I'm making a half turn, but it's really pretty much a full turn. Still keeping Erik's lesson in mind, turn turn back and get to A8. The face is less closed at A4, that's better, right?

I still have a lot to work on, the release looks real flippy and I'm not extending enough through the ball? My head is still translating back a tad but even with these slight changes, I'm more consistent. Gonna send in vid to evolr this weekend.

Steve

Weakened the trail (right) hand grip. Got the "v" to point to the right side of my face. It looks pretty subtle, but this was/is a huge feel change. Thought it would be sh*nk city, but the opposite happened, in general, off center strikes are toward the toe whereas with the strong grip, toward the heel. Feels like I can take a more aggressive pass through the ball around the impact area without fear of the lefts. Looking at other setups of the 5SK teachers, perhaps I can weaken it a little more? I see some Vs pointing at the chin.

Still having problems keeping the head from translating back, keeping the lead left knee more quiet. And I can probably extend more through impact. Anyways, the short of it is, shorter swing, less head movement, weaker RH grip, more consistent.

Don't like A6 though, would like to get the hands more forward. From the DTL view, still getting the club a little too inside at A2, but a tad better than before.

Steve

• Administrator

Let the left knee bend a wee bit more in the backswing, and slide forward a wee bit longer in the downswing.

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Which is better, left or right?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Last evolvr lesson - get right elbow more in front of body on downswing. This is a 7I @ super slow tempo, probably went 75 yards, but the feel is totally different. Even though it's not a full tempo swing, I feel progressively swinging faster while keeping the same feels is the way to go. I call this the " love tap " drill.

Even though that's probably my best P6 position and I know it's supposed to be a powerful position, it doesn't. Maybe when I up the speed a little more.

Steve

• Administrator

Love the love tap!

Thanks! That's encouraging coming from you, iacas. I have to thank you and Mario B for getting after me to using video more often. I always bring the camera and tripod now. Such a dope for not using it enough.

Of course, Mike and Brian of evolvr had something to do with it as well . I really gained a new level of body awareness with the lessons and videoing myself.

I started speeding up the swing and practicing with the 3I and 3W now that I am getting the hang of it. Have new video, will post later.

Steve

Adding some speed while keeping the same feels, elbow in front. Back is sore from felling a tree, I guess I could extend more post impact. Finally decided to add the speed after 4 practice sessions doing nothing but short slow swings, nothing going more than 125 yards.  There's that saying that one should swing hard from the beginning. Pfffft.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Working on full shoulder turn on backswing, elbows in front of body on downswing.

Early July... mid July... late July

Mid August

Steve

Originally Posted by theworldengine

looks like your positions have improved a lot

Thanks. Nothing really much happened in July. Throwing out the club all July when I add speed, but lately, have been getting it to look like the last photo. Definitely need to get to the range more to hang on to this feeling.

Steve

Originally Posted by theworldengine

btw it looks like you are a little stuck behind in the last photo. that right shoulder looks too low

IIRC, that shot was a push fade, ha ha. Sending this in to evolr to get it looked at.

Steve

Trying things out -  an arms only swing. Pretty easy to do, almost like a safety make sure you hit ball first stay out of danger swing.

Steve