IGNORED

Pick apart Jeff's swing

Note: This thread is 6889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys... you might need a microscope to see this, but here's my swing with a 9iron:

http://www.rustyhinges.com/video/9iron_swing.mov

My observations:
Seems like I'm guiding the club a bit.
My hands need to drop just before shoulder turn
I'm not releasing my hands soon enough after impact

Congrats if you can see it. I can only get it to encode at really small or really big so I opted for small.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Seems like I'm guiding the club a bit.

Guiding may be the word you associate with that action, but I'd say more like you're casting a bit. You're not holding your angle. Think Sergio.

Your hands need to drop when? I think you should add a small pause to the top of your backswing. You start down before you really finish the backswing, and you start it with an upward tilt of your body. The pause should help you start more with your lower body. Maintaining wrist cock and not casting should fix the last thing you listed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

looks pretty good. only comment I might have (beside the early release Erik is talking about) is, that it seems a bit shallow for a 9i. It's more a scooper-pooper, than a blast down on the ball. I guess you don't take too much of a divit and rarely see nice spin-back or check-up action on the greens?
The club looks en-lofted (opposite to de-lofted) at impact, which probably also reduces your distance on iron shots.
How do I know that? well.. I've the same problem

I couldn't take any ground out without hitting it fat for the longest time. I have just recently managed to take some ground out with good distance. But I still can't get much spin.

I will check out your swing tonight when I'm away from my deskjob. Probably shouldn't be on here now.

I'd say more like you're casting a bit. You're not holding your angle. Think Sergio.

Casting, yep... I see that.

I think you should add a small pause to the top of your backswing. You start down before you really finish the backswing, and you start it with an upward tilt of your body. The pause should help you start more with your lower body.

Yep, early release is the prob. I'll try the pause you mentioned.

It's more a scooper-pooper, than a blast down on the ball. I guess you don't take too much of a divit and rarely see nice spin-back or check-up action on the greens?

LOL... you got it Raf. I don't take much of a divot. I do see the ball check up on the greens fairly well, but never spin back. The ball stops within 1-4 feet if I'm using a PW-8I but maybe thats just what you're saying. I like your description "a blast down on the ball." That seems a good swing though to incorporate into my practice and should get rid of the dreaded "scooper pooper."

Thanks fellas.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Yes I'd have to agree with the casting problem. You need to hold the wrist angle longer. The new term going around for this is "stacked". That's when you stay over the ball and let your hands/arms fall down into the slot. You have a great take away, but at the 3/4 position, you seem to over rotate your hips slightly and possibly lock or straighten your right leg. This would cause a very shallow path to the ball. The "extra" hip turn makes your shoulders overturn too. It makes your head go a little up and to the right. That might cause some inconsistent shots. After you get to the ball, that part looks good.

You have a very good swing as I see it. Certainly not a 22 handicap swing, more like a 10 swing. You probably don't hit the ball as far as you want or could. Holding the angle of your wrist cock will get you more distance than a great big turn.
Dan

Yes I'd have to agree with the casting problem. You need to hold the wrist angle longer. The new term going around for this is "stacked". That's when you stay over the ball and let your hands/arms fall down into the slot. You have a great take away, but at the 3/4 position, you seem to over rotate your hips slightly and possibly lock or straighten your right leg. This would cause a very shallow path to the ball. The "extra" hip turn makes your shoulders overturn too. It makes your head go a little up and to the right. That might cause some inconsistent shots. After you get to the ball, that part looks good.

Thank you very much for the input. I can't wait to get out and work on the things you all have mentioned. You comments make good sense and seem like they'll fix the inconsistency I'm struggling with. That middle area between 3/4 backswing and followthrough needed fixing in my mind but I couldn't come up with an answer for it. Thanks again.

I'll report on progress.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

Note: This thread is 6889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!