IGNORED

Golf Simulators

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was in Golf galaxy the other day testing out 3 woods. I was using the big golf simulators and was wondering how accurate these things really are.

While in the simulator i tested these clubs

Cobra Speed LD driver

CVallaway x hot 3 wood
Adams redline rpm 3 wood

Cobra FP iron.

The driver was going 200 yards on the simulator

the 3 wood was going 200 yards

and the 7 iron was going 180!!!!

The driver and 3 wood seem right, becasue i get absolutely no distance in real life with my driver, and never had a 3 wood that I coul dhit so im not sure... but i know that my 7 iron only goes 145-150 - the is no way im pulling an extra 30 yards off of that club.... the guy told me that it was set only to 90% of the actual distance....

What do you guys think about these things???

I was also hitting the woods VERY straight which I rarely do in real life, so im wondering if these things are just giving me some false hope and confidence........

I struggle to reach 195 yards on the Golf Galaxy machine - with a driver. Forget it. The machine's useless. I know I hit the ball further... a lot more than 10 percent further, for that matter. And, yeah, I got screwed numbers with irons as well - my 6 iron went 190? Yeah.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I was going to say check the loft on the iron you were using. Could have been a cheap brand trick by lowering the loft and still calling it a 7. Since 2 people have the same story seems like the simulator is junk though. I wouldn't doubt it either.
In My Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade R580XD Titanium Driver w/ graphite shaft 10.5*
Fairway Woods: TaylorMade V-Steel 3 Wood 15* 5 Wood 18*
Irons: TaylorMade rac OS2 Iron Set 3-PW w/ Steel ShaftWedges: Cleveland Tour Action 485 SW 56*Putter: An old Pete Cooper Autographed Model

sux... I want to buy a new driver and 3 wood, but i hate buying blind - which is how i feel with these simulators....

There are never any demo days in my area either which sucks. Unless i dont know where to look....

last week one of the local driving ranges had cobra there, but it wasnt liste on cobras site......

• 8 months later...
My Golf Galaxy here in CT. is the same way, I can get 230-250 with my driver, I went in there and couldn't get the ball over 220. One the the guys that works there says in their simulator you need to add 20-30 yards to whatever you hit.

Why don't they have a tech get in there and fix it already....

I want to pound the MEATHEAD & The METROSEXUAL from the Slazenger RAW commercial..

I was also at my local Golf Galaxy hitting into the simulator the other day. I asked the guy there how accurate the readings were and he answered that the swing speed, ball speed and smash factor were very accurate but the distance can be a little off. I had the opposite experience as others who have posted concerning the reported length. My drives were going anywhere from 320-340 yards on average. I am long but that is longer than I usually hit. I noticed that the carry distance was close to reality, around 275(ish) but the roll out was huge on the simulator. In reality I never get anywhere near that kind of roll on a drive. Of course, maybe it was the driver I was using. If I thought that to be 100% true I would have walked out of the store with the Cobra Speed Pro D. I still think it is fun and fairly accurate in many ways, for example, I saw a lot of guys in front of me hitting slices with the driver and when I got up I was hitting draws which is typical for me.

In the : Nike SQ Tour Bag

Driver: Speed Pro S Stiff 9.5*
3 Wood: Speed Pro X/ST Stiff 15*
Hybrid: Walter Hagen 21* Aldila NV Hybrid 85-S Shaft Irons: RAC LT2 4-Sand StiffWedge: Z TP 60* Putter: Rossa Lambeau Ball: TP Red Grips: Golf Pride Dual Durometer

I was also at my local Golf Galaxy hitting into the simulator the other day. I asked the guy there how accurate the readings were and he answered that the swing speed, ball speed and smash factor were very accurate but the distance can be a little off. I had the opposite experience as others who have posted concerning the reported length. My drives were going anywhere from 320-340 yards on average. I am long but that is longer than I usually hit. I noticed that the carry distance was close to reality, around 275(ish) but the roll out was huge on the simulator. In reality I never get anywhere near that kind of roll on a drive. Of course, maybe it was the driver I was using. If I thought that to be 100% true I would have walked out of the store with the Cobra Speed Pro D. I still think it is fun and fairly accurate in many ways, for example, I saw a lot of guys in front of me hitting slices with the driver and when I got up I was hitting draws which is typical for me.

Most of the time the Golf superstores bump up the power thru their internal utilities menu. This is done so people will think that they get that little extra distance off the tee when in actuality they may get a bump of 10 - 15 yards.

Taylormade Superquad 9.5
Taylormade hybrid 3, 4,5
MP-57 5-P
Cleveland 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron PutterPro V-1

I want to pound the MEATHEAD & The METROSEXUAL from the Slazenger RAW commercial..

I'm sorry for interrupting this discussion... but that sig is funny.

I would actually rather pound the "kitty" the snack girl... and I don't mean in an assualtive, violent type way but rather a... well you get the picture.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I was testing out some 3 woods at Golf Galaxy and I notice that I couldn't hit them farther then 200 yards. At first I thought it was because my swing was rusty from being dormant all winter. Then I mentioned something to the salesperson and he told me that the simulator was setup for "driver". He switched it to 3 wood and it seemed more accurate. I was hitting the same 3 wood 230 which was closer to reality for me. Also last year I hit a 5 wood and the simulator was telling me 220 yards. I bought the 5 wood and I have to say the simulator was right on the money. I hit the 5 wood on the course 220.
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

unny this thread is still going on since July when I originally posted it.. I was in the sim at golf galaxy again yesterday- hit the crap out of a ping driver, showing 250 yards with a slight draw almost every time- bough tthe driver - couldnt get past 200 on the course... Them last week I bought a cobra 3 wood, it wsa used - but I was smoking it straight as an arrow in the sim - brought it the range- lets say it wasnt teh same results...

I tried a simulator for the first time today at Golftown. I found that my driver distance was pretty close but my 7 iron was short by 10 yards plus. The simulator was set to 7 iron at the time. The funny thing I noticed was that sometimes with only 1 degree of side spin the machine said that the shot was a slice, not a fade. The sales dude gave me some good advice...He said to bring in my current clubs and compare the simulator numbers to those that you know you get with that club...THEN... try other clubs and see if you get better results. I'm going to give this a try next time I go there.

I'm sorry for interrupting this discussion... but that sig is funny.

I agree with you....Kitty the "shake maker" is a hottie, however those two idiots in that commercial drive me nuts not to mention it's on the golf channel during every commercial break. I just can't take seeing it anymore.

Comment for each:
Some golf sims are accurate and some are not. The indoor golf academy has been very accurate for me, even through the simulated courses. I find the sims inside stores to be close to useless.

Also, those Slazenger guys are having the opposite affect...I've never used those balls, but now there's no way I would. And since when does a raw meat slushie turn into a 12-pack of golf balls? What is that 220? F--- you.

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

When I hit irons in these things I generally get good results. I still dont trust them. Remember to look at the carry yardage and not the total distance, the sim ads about 10yds of roll to your shots, in real life esp when hitting to a green this is not the case.

As for woods I get crappy results. Everything is 250-260 major slice. EVERYTHING. I generally hit driver 275 w/ a slight fade. And if im not slicing in the machine Im hitting them 10ft off the ground for whatever reason.

I did find one store where I took a used i10 7 iron off of the used rack and was hitting it 200 carry. Im like this cant be right so I got the s58 6 off of the fitting rack and was hitting it 210. LOL the things are rigged and cant be trusted IMO.

Comment for each:

I agree with you....Kitty the "shake maker" is a hottie, however those two idiots in that commercial drive me nuts not to mention it's on the golf channel during every commercial break. I just can't take seeing it anymore.

I know this is off topic! But I have to chime and say thank god I am not the only one!!! Why the hell would I ever buy those golf balls. That commercial sickens me. Its on all the time! ERRRRRGh sorry for the off topic post

"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

Note: This thread is 5889 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!