IGNORED

Second hand driver

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi

I am fairly new to golf prob playing around 12 months

I have just bought some new irons and am now looking for a second hand driver as I have ran out of money to buy a shiny new one

I have seen 3 on ebay that are very cheap and was wondering if some of you wiser heads could take a quick look and tell me if any of them are worth me going for

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300875234574?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251244349622?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261229632587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thank you for any help its greatly appreciated

Is your old driver broken or not good enough? Personally if there is nothing wrong with your current driver, don't replace it. If you had to choose a club from the 3 above I would go for the Callaway ERC. Good luck!

Originally Posted by TaylorMadeFan15

Is your old driver broken or not good enough? Personally if there is nothing wrong with your current driver, don't replace it.

If you had to choose a club from the 3 above I would go for the Callaway ERC. Good luck!

I dont have a driver mate

I have been borrowing a friends for the past 6 months and I want my own

Thanks for the advice

Hi Slk - How well do you hit your friend's driver? If the answer is "very well", look for a club with similar specs (loft, shaft flex, shaft length) as his. If not, conventional wisdom seems to be that if you're relatively new, a driver with higher loft would be preferable in general. That would mean, of the 3 you listed, the Ping gets the nod. It also has a regular flex shaft, the other two are stiff flex. Again, in general, relative newbies usually do better with regular flex I understand. Of course, if you know your swing speed and it requires a stiffer shaft, get the stiff. But since you didn't post any real details of your current ability, it's just a guess. Frankly, best if you could try one out rather than ordering and hoping it fits your swing. Any pro shops or discount chains you can get to that might have a "Used" or "Clearance" barrel they'll let you test from? Might be worth the effort to look. Good luck whatever you decide on. When you get a bit more money, if you really want to know what driver is best for you: get a proper fitting. You won't regret it.

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Originally Posted by Sherpat

Hi Slk -

How well do you hit your friend's driver? If the answer is "very well", look for a club with similar specs (loft, shaft flex, shaft length) as his.

If not, conventional wisdom seems to be that if you're relatively new, a driver with higher loft would be preferable in general. That would mean, of the 3 you listed, the Ping gets the nod. It also has a regular flex shaft, the other two are stiff flex. Again, in general, relative newbies usually do better with regular flex I understand. Of course, if you know your swing speed and it requires a stiffer shaft, get the stiff. But since you didn't post any real details of your current ability, it's just a guess.

Frankly, best if you could try one out rather than ordering and hoping it fits your swing. Any pro shops or discount chains you can get to that might have a "Used" or "Clearance" barrel they'll let you test from? Might be worth the effort to look.

Good luck whatever you decide on. When you get a bit more money, if you really want to know what driver is best for you: get a proper fitting. You won't regret it.

I struggle like most new players with my driver, Prob hit 3-4 out of 10 straight-ish

Totally agree with everything you have wrote, more so the last bit about getting a driver fitted when I have more money to spend, Maybe should have went for cheaper irons to leave me with some left over for a driver, Oh well

Dont really have any discount chains in the U.K, Will head down to American Golf this week to see if they have a used section

If you have nice irons and hit them well, there's nothing wrong with not bagging a driver at all for a while. A while back I read an article by Tom Watson (if I recall) where he advised every golfer to go around at least once carrying only one club. The point was to show how feel and imagination trumps technology. I tried it with a 6-iron, and it certainly opened my eyes. Being really short off the tee turned out not to be too much of a handicap - it still took 3 strokes to get to the green on a most par-4's (150 + 150 + 150) as it often did with driver, iron, wedge. That's even with laying up on otherwise forced carries. So really, if your ego can stand it then leaving driver out of your bag is probably not going to hurt your scores. So don't rush into one that's a bad fit just for the sake of carrying one. Again, good luck! Post back when/if you find one that meets your needs. I'm curious how you fare :)

Bag It:

3-Wood Wishon 525 F/D, 13*, Matrix Studio 65gm, Golf Pride Dual Compound
Hybrid: Wishon "321", 24*, MSF 85 HB, Winn DSI
Irons: Wishon 770CFE, Matrix Studio 74gm, Winn DSI

Putter: Odyssey DFX 2-Ball

Bag: Some big, honkin', ridiculous overkill of an Ogio cart bag with more pockets than I have teeth.

Originally Posted by Sherpat

If you have nice irons and hit them well, there's nothing wrong with not bagging a driver at all for a while. A while back I read an article by Tom Watson (if I recall) where he advised every golfer to go around at least once carrying only one club. The point was to show how feel and imagination trumps technology. I tried it with a 6-iron, and it certainly opened my eyes. Being really short off the tee turned out not to be too much of a handicap - it still took 3 strokes to get to the green on a most par-4's (150 + 150 + 150) as it often did with driver, iron, wedge. That's even with laying up on otherwise forced carries. So really, if your ego can stand it then leaving driver out of your bag is probably not going to hurt your scores. So don't rush into one that's a bad fit just for the sake of carrying one.

Again, good luck! Post back when/if you find one that meets your needs. I'm curious how you fare :)

Sounds like good advice

I am playing this Friday and Sat so will be going round without a driver for both rounds as my friend has taken back his club

I will post back when I do find/buy one and let you know how much I can slice it :)

should go with the callaway! if that was the only i could choose from

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Sorry to bother everyone again

I went for my first golf lesson today and the instructor recommended that I use a 3 or 5 wood from the tee instead of a driver, Would this be a good idea? If so what should I look for in a 3/5 wood?

Thanks

First things first... Since your golf instructor has actually seen your swing and probably knows better than most of us, you should probably follow his advice to anyone on here. That being said... Going with a 3 wood off the tee is a good idea for a beginner (and frankly most golfers in general). They are easier to hit because they are shorter than a driver and have more loft. When I'm having a horrible day with the driver... I put it in the bag and use a 3 wood. Keep your eye out for an older Ping G series (G5, G10, G15), or a Callaway big bertha (post 2007) or diablo. How did the lesson go?

Originally Posted by tefunk

First things first... Since your golf instructor has actually seen your swing and probably knows better than most of us, you should probably follow his advice to anyone on here.

That being said... Going with a 3 wood off the tee is a good idea for a beginner (and frankly most golfers in general). They are easier to hit because they are shorter than a driver and have more loft. When I'm having a horrible day with the driver... I put it in the bag and use a 3 wood.

Keep your eye out for an older Ping G series (G5, G10, G15), or a Callaway big bertha (post 2007) or diablo.

How did the lesson go?

Having a look on Ebay now for the Ping/Callaway clubs you have mentioned to see if I can pick up a bargain

The lesson went very well IMO, Recorded my swing from front and back and went through it step by step to find out where I am going wrong, The two big errors (There is more) that he picked up on was bending my left arm at the top of my swing bringing the club right around the back of my head, The second was the postion of my left hand after impact, Something to do with my glove hand being on top rather than it being underneath after I have hit the ball

Showed me how to alter that and within 10mins I was hitting straight shots with clubs I slice wickedly every time, Money well spent, Next lesson is in 2 weeks

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!