IGNORED

Performance somewhat older drivers

MacDutch
Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have late model Adams & Amp drivers .... went back to a 2009 Nike SQ - just works better for me ... by alot.   Drivers are all about confidence

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by inthehole

Have late model Adams & Amp drivers .... went back to a 2009 Nike SQ - just works better for me ... by alot.   Drivers are all about confidence

Confidence does play a major part.  What I like about the older drivers, like Titleist 975 and 983 is the smaller head and shorter shaft.  They hit the ball further than a 3 wood but are just as easy to hit the sweet spot with.  I was hitting 460cc drivers all over the place, when I caught one right it would go, but that was only about 50% of the time unfortunately.

in my last round I used the 975 for 9 holes and hit the fairway 100%, average drives were about 230 yards with rollout.  My playing partners made fun of me when they first saw the driver, plenty of time machine and the 90's called and they want their clubs back jokes, but after seeing me hit every fairway and out drive some of them they stopped the jokes and wanted to know where I got it.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Confidence does play a major part.  What I like about the older drivers, like Titleist 975 and 983 is the smaller head and shorter shaft.  They hit the ball further than a 3 wood but are just as easy to hit the sweet spot with.  I was hitting 460cc drivers all over the place, when I caught one right it would go, but that was only about 50% of the time unfortunately.

in my last round I used the 975 for 9 holes and hit the fairway 100%, average drives were about 230 yards with rollout.  My playing partners made fun of me when they first saw the driver, plenty of time machine and the 90's called and they want their clubs back jokes, but after seeing me hit every fairway and out drive some of them they stopped the jokes and wanted to know where I got it.

Yah, I worked at Titleist when the 975D  and 976R came out. Prior to that, their first titanium was the Howitzer as I recall. I had the 976R and it was fun making practice swings and causing sparks to fly. Had a pretty solid feel without the hollow tinny sound of many of the 460cc clubs that followed. The newer ones of course, have a much better sound. You can find those 975's at swap meets, veterans stores for only a few bucks.  I am always looking for the Olimars, found two so far at about $3 apiece. 15 degree and a 21 degree.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 3952 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!