• Announcements

    • iacas

      Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

      Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MacDutch

Performance somewhat older drivers

21 posts in this topic

Last week my second hand Titleist 905T driver arrived. I did'nt need the driver, cause I play a Titleist 910 D2 and I am happy how I play it. But I was curious and the price was only $ 67,-. After playing a couple of rounds I am even more pleased with the 905T. So, the 910 D2 goes out the bag and the 905T is in. Am I just lucky to find and older driver performing better, or is newer not better? Specs Titleist 905T 400cc head 9.5 loft Harmon Tour Design CB stiff shaft (65 gr) Titleist 910 D2 460cc 9.5 loft (8.5-10.5) Aldila RIP stiff shaft (60 gr)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

Sign up (or log in) today! It's free (and you won't see this ad anymore)!

If you read a review of a driver and it says "this is a great driver; long and forgiving", it will not become a bad driver, short and unforgiving when the new models come along next year. Sure, there are technological advances and blah blah blah blah blah. But go look at the USGA's stats on how far the average amateur drives the ball compared to 5, 10 years ago using all the New! Improved! technology. Get a fitted club, swing it correctly, and you won't care (or notice) how old it is, what brand it is, or even any of the multi-million dollar ad campaigns assuring you that you won't be satisfied with your penis until you own the new model that their sponsored tour pro hits 4 yards farther with a 120 mph swing speed. Seriously, that's all it is. You weren't "just lucky". A good penis is a good penis forever. (Until the shaft loses its stiffness, of course....)
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in previous models shafts where shorter because off this it just might be that you hit these drivers better or feel as if there easier to control.

Due to recent technology they can make shafts lighter club heads lighter so they make shafts longer, to maximize distance.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by MacDutch

Last week my second hand Titleist 905T driver arrived. I did'nt need the driver, cause I play a Titleist 910 D2 and I am happy how I play it. But I was curious and the price was only $ 67,-. After playing a couple of rounds I am even more pleased with the 905T. So, the 910 D2 goes out the bag and the 905T is in. Am I just lucky to find and older driver performing better, or is newer not better? Specs Titleist 905T 400cc head 9.5 loft Harmon Tour Design CB stiff shaft (65 gr) Titleist 910 D2 460cc 9.5 loft (8.5-10.5) Aldila RIP stiff shaft (60 gr)

I am headed in the same direction.  I replaced the 910 D2 in my bag with a Callaway X Hot 3Deep because it was a smaller head and shorter shaft than the Titleist.

Last month I ordered a Titleist 975J and have been trying it out on the range.  The head size and shaft length is in between the 3Deep and the 910 which makes it the best of both worlds for me.  I'm hitting the 975J with about 20 yards more carry than my 3Deep and much more consistently than the 910.

I know the 460cc head size and longer shaft is supposed to provide more forgiveness and distance but it doesn't seem to work as well for me as the smaller / shorter drivers of the past.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went through a Cobra S3, Cobra AMP, Cobra AMP Cell, TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0, TM RocketBallz and Cobra ZL Encore driver before I fell into the Titleist 910 D3 and fell in love. The smaller head and classic pear shaped head, paired with the 9.5 loft and every setting I'll ever need is amazing. I was really pissed to know that I passed up this club for years before succumbing to the Titleist fan club. I do not see me replacing this club any time soon at all, unless it is for a new 913 on a whim.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I never had the funds to really buy clubs on a whim until recently so I have literally be stuck with hand me downs or borrowed club from a friend that was a hand me down as well.

Drivers I have hit so far

King Cobra 360cc: Max I ever hit this was 300 yards, it went straight when I put a good swing on it.

King Cobra 440cc: I could crush this driver, when hit straight I would hit this thing 300+ all day, but misses were very very unforgiving and a slice or duck hook happened more times than I like to admit

Taylor Made Burner 460cc: This is by far the best driver I have used. Misses aren't terrible and it has the longest flight time and good roll out. I wouldn't even dream of replacing it except its not mine. My friend is letting me use it because he got a RocketBallz for free and didn't need the Burner anymore.

I think as far as distance Its not much, Accuracy with a proper swing is roughly the same too. I think the new technology is better at covering misses than the older clubs are though.

So I am finally going to buy my first driver and the Titleist 913 D2 is at the top of my list along with the Callaway X Hot and Cobra Amp Cell (in Orange)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Dev 0

Unfortunately I never had the funds to really buy clubs on a whim until recently so I have literally be stuck with hand me downs or borrowed club from a friend that was a hand me down as well.

Drivers I have hit so far

King Cobra 360cc: Max I ever hit this was 300 yards, it went straight when I put a good swing on it.

King Cobra 440cc: I could crush this driver, when hit straight I would hit this thing 300+ all day, but misses were very very unforgiving and a slice or duck hook happened more times than I like to admit

Taylor Made Burner 460cc: This is by far the best driver I have used. Misses aren't terrible and it has the longest flight time and good roll out. I wouldn't even dream of replacing it except its not mine. My friend is letting me use it because he got a RocketBallz for free and didn't need the Burner anymore.

I think as far as distance Its not much, Accuracy with a proper swing is roughly the same too. I think the new technology is better at covering misses than the older clubs are though.

So I am finally going to buy my first driver and the Titleist 913 D2 is at the top of my list along with the Callaway X Hot and Cobra Amp Cell (in Orange)

Make sure you try them out. Personally, I am now a Titleist fan and have hit nothing but Cobra for the past 3 years. I am actually looking to unload my S2s for cheap so that I can justify buying a new set of AP1s. I do like my AMP 3W though and I am in no hurry to replace that.

I also have a Cobra S3 driver that I am willing to sell cheap. Played for one season and basically in 9/10 condition. Let me know if you're interested. Not trying to solicit a sale here or anything, but the thing has sat on a rack for over 6 months now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently went from a Mizuno JPX-800 drive to a Nike SQ and honestly, couldnt be happier.  I do hit the Nike a little bit shorter but find it much easier to control.  Im not all that convinced that the new heads outperform the old ones, they are just putting longer shafts on them to allow you to hit the ball farther.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw, I can bang an old persimmon driver just as far as a 460. Another thing I noticed, that if the persimmon does fade off to the right, its usually not far from the fairway, whereas if I mishit the 460 it is usually in deep trouble. When I am striking the persimmon well, I seem to be able to shape shots better.  Heck, even the Burner Bubble I used to have carried about as far as the new drivers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Spyder

Make sure you try them out. Personally, I am now a Titleist fan and have hit nothing but Cobra for the past 3 years. I am actually looking to unload my S2s for cheap so that I can justify buying a new set of AP1s. I do like my AMP 3W though and I am in no hurry to replace that.

I also have a Cobra S3 driver that I am willing to sell cheap. Played for one season and basically in 9/10 condition. Let me know if you're interested. Not trying to solicit a sale here or anything, but the thing has sat on a rack for over 6 months now.

Thank You for the offer and I am very tempted, but I think this will need to be a new driver. Just something about that brand new club feel knowing no one has ever hit it before. As soon as I sell off some of my old hobby stuff I foresee a long day at Haggin Oaks getting fitted for the correct driver.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As i'm waiting for my new woods to arrive and my R11 woods are sold already i had a sponsor game yesterday, i borrowed the old woods from a friend. Cobra S9-1 ProD with matrix shaft stiff. i did really well with them. was bombing it twice past the 300 yard marker.

I now really hope my new ordered woods perform the same.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just switched back to my old R5 over the last year's Rocketballz driver.

Sometimes old is good.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My father has a 3 wood that is made of wood... Loves that thing... I started on the 460cc, etc. Bought a starter set, then replaced it club by club to build a set I really love. My driver is now a 2010 model (burner Superfast), won't be changing it anytime soon...
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by clutchshot

My father has a 3 wood that is made of wood... Loves that thing...

I started on the 460cc, etc. Bought a starter set, then replaced it club by club to build a set I really love. My driver is now a 2010 model (burner Superfast), won't be changing it anytime soon...

Yah, mentioned before, but using those old woods is fun and arguably will help you become a better ball striker owing to the smaller sweet spot. I also feel that you are more able to shape shots owing to the "gear" effect. OTOH, the newer drivers with much better technology. M.O.I., changeable  weights, loft adjustments give players many options.  I don't think I hit the newer clubs all that much further though. I currently have an old persimmon four wood as well as two different low profile Olimar Tri-metals (love those things).  It doesn't mean I leave my R7 and RBZ at home though, I just remove a couple of long irons if necessary to stay "legal". (well, not always as there have been occasions when I carried 15).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by flintcreek6412

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

Get him that tee shirt   "Old guys rule". (assuming he qualifies)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just played a round with some buddies.  One hasn't played in many years(at least 15 plus) and I assumed he would suck.  He showed up with his old set of club and while having trouble getting the short game back, by the 3rd hole he launched a drive with what I thought was a 3 wood.  I had a beautiful draw to it and just kept going.  Granted it was downhill and down wind but he outdrove all of our new 460s by a good 40-50 yards.  I marked my GPS that can measure shots and he hit that thing 317 yards.  I commented how he outdrove us with his 3 wood and he said it was his original Big Bertha Warbird.  I wouldn't put a 460 head in hands for anything because he crushed drives all day with that thing.  I later found out he was pretty good on his HS golf team and hadn't lost his swing after all these years.  When his short game returns he'll easily wipe me.

My uncle came out to play with my father and I last summer... Same thing, all ancient clubs, no problem sticking with us just fine... Will say this though, my buddy started with old clubs, hit them long, but his game got a lot straighter when he got a new 460cc.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by tomvk77

I think in previous models shafts where shorter because off this it just might be that you hit these drivers better or feel as if there easier to control.

Due to recent technology they can make shafts lighter club heads lighter so they make shafts longer, to maximize distance.

I thought this was a good point.  Drivers in days gone by were about 44" and now they tend more toward 46".   This is OK for some but for others it leads to lost of control and a lot of shots out of the rough. I won't argue that the technology that permits the longer driver is not a good thing, it is for some.  But if you're having trouble keeping it in the short grass you might seek out a club fitter and see if the longer driver is meant for you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2017 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    Leupold Golf
    Snell Golf
    Talamore Golf Resort
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • I too, have difficulty understanding what is being asked.  Down - obviously Towards the ball - obviously A thought I often use is "point your lead shoulder at the ball" on the backswing. The caveat being, don't get overly steep with your shoulder plane.  
    • Just curious.   I've been watching some of the videos by Mark Crossfield and other youtube pro's and there is an argument to how much shaft stiffness truly matters.  Obviously too whippy is gonna lead to inconsistent strikes and dispersion.  I'm a S stiff guy, like I'm sure a lot of us amateurs are, but what makes these pro's need and prefer X?  Is it all the dispersion?  Because it can't be swing speed.  Bernhard Langer, Tom Gillis and all these guys on the champions tours still swing X even with decreasing swing speeds compared to the younger pro's.  So why is it?   And also are there any pro's that choose to swing a S or R flex and why? 
    • I get what you're saying @Vinsk ... but there might be a little more to it that we don't know.  Like @iacas said, Ernie thought he incurred a penalty so he assessed one. If I had to guess, there's probably slightly more to it than "it came out too good" because I agree with you on that one ... lies in the rough frequently come out differently than even the pros expect.  But perhaps he was having extra trouble getting it back where it needed to go, and the good result was just the confirmation.
    • Hey everyone,   So I've been really investing some time into this game the past couple years and think (hope, its golf ) that I'm making a breakthrough.  I started playing in high school with buddies where my main purpose was to hit the ball as hard as I could.  I'm a long lanky guy and was routinely out hitting my buddies even though they had much more experience.  Where they were really envious of me is with my driver where I could pound it 265+ even back then.  My irons were hit or miss, literally, where I would get a high flying 165 yd 8 iron and stick the green or duff one 10 feet.  So I've been working on the control game ever since I started taking this game more seriously to no avail.  I was still duffing and on the course I would find my self trying to crush it instead of just make solid contact.     My long sought effort of developing a controlled swing finally started to click at the range the other day.  One thing I had to continually fight myself on was coming out of my front foot.  I guess to hit it far I would do the jump out of my shoes like Justin Thomas, except without near the control.  I noticed I also tried to help the ball up a lot doing this, so when contact was good I would hit that high flying, but low spinning iron shot.  I was finally able to just roll onto the outside of my left foot without having these anxious spasms right before I hit the ball.  Honestly I think anxiety has a lot to do with golf.  Many of us amateurs don't know how the shot is going to end up.  Hitting a small ball with a big stick leads to a myriad of results and can literally be quite shocking when striking the ball.  I think I'm finally getting over that and losing my little nervous hop right before impact.  I was able to swing and roll through with a solid grip.  That was another thing I would do is release or tense weird areas of my hand when striking.     Its crazy how these little subtleties made such a difference.  While everyone around me was hitting tops and thin shots, I was able to stay cool and composed and struck the ball great!  Decreasing my nervous hop is decreasing my mishits by a large margin.  I'm also way more relaxed in my stance and grip.  I know its golf and this was just a one time thing, but I truly felt it and hoping I can make this change stick.  Hopefully on my way to lower scores 
    • On which tour did you plan on watching him play? I'm pretty sure he's not even a regular player on the Web.com Tour. This is probably a one and done kind of thing. In all honesty he hasn't been that fun to watch. He's not really cranking the drives because he needs to keep them in play and he's clearly not good enough to compete with PGA Tour players. If he wasn't who he was, he wouldn't even be getting air time.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Cwmgr
      Cwmgr
      (40 years old)
    2. Gfleck067
      Gfleck067
      (28 years old)
    3. golf82
      golf82
      (58 years old)
  • Get Great Gear with Amazon