IGNORED

name brand driver vs non

Note: This thread is 3949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys, new to golf and have already become addicted. I have my bag mostly together, but haven't gotten a driver yet, I've been using my friends TaylorMade Burner and like it alot, but it's his backup and he doesn't really want to sell it. So I've been shopping around online. My question is what is the big difference between lets say a TaylorMade Burner or a nice Nike Driver, as opposed to one of those smaller brand drivers with what appear to be the same specs (loft, metal used, ect)? I just can't bring myself to spend 200$ on a driver but if it really is that big of a difference I guess I'll splurge.

Thanks!

From the 860 to the 310 and back

UConn  

Whats in the bag:

Driver:  Burner

Irons:  R7 4-SW

Extra Wedge:  56*

Putter:  Tuttle

Ball(s): Pro-V1 and whenever there's a ncie ball in my range basket

Buy used and you won't have to spend anywhere near $200.

Here's one for $15.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TaylorMade-Tour-Burner-2008-Driver-9-5-Stiff-Right-H-Graphite-Golf-Club-5287-/380665440819?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item58a16daa33&_uhb=1

First one I found but if you surf around you'll find more. Also look at driving ranges and golf club pro shops, they usually have used gear they are looking to clear out.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Buy used and you won't have to spend anywhere near $200.

Here's one for $15.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TaylorMade-Tour-Burner-2008-Driver-9-5-Stiff-Right-H-Graphite-Golf-Club-5287-/380665440819?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item58a16daa33&_uhb=1

First one I found but if you surf around you'll find more. Also look at driving ranges and golf club pro shops, they usually have used gear they are looking to clear out.

Thanks for the link, but realistically that club will probably end at around $100 plus the $25 shipping. I'm going to shop around more for some used clubs, but if it comes down to it what will I be losing by buying a non big name brand driver? Is it a matter of lost yardage? Smaller Sweet spot?

Thanks

UConn  

Whats in the bag:

Take a look at GlobalGolf, 3balls.com, 2ndswing.  They all sell pre-owned clubs and stand behind them.  I checked 3balls and they have the TM Burner Superfast 2.0 for $60 - $80 depending on the condition you want the club in.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Take a look at GlobalGolf, 3balls.com, 2ndswing.  They all sell pre-owned clubs and stand behind them.  I checked 3balls and they have the TM Burner Superfast 2.0 for $60 - $80 depending on the condition you want the club in.

Thanks so much. The 3balls website is great, probably going to get a burner from a few years back for around $45, and may even grab a hybrid too since I'm saving a bunch!

UConn  

Whats in the bag:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The TM superfast is a phenomenal driver for the money.  I got mine brand new for $130 and probably overpaid with the newer sales that have been going on.

Note: This thread is 3949 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!