Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoundandFury

Shortening shaft effect on swing weight

5 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a used 913 d2 that's been cut down half an inch.  I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but I absolutely notice the difference both in the look of the club at address and more importantly, in swing weight (I'm comparing to my unaltered 910 d2).

Long story short, I don't like my 913 anywhere near as much as my 910.  I know a shorter shaft is supposed to be easier to control, but I swear I hit the center of the club more often with the 910.

Has anyone experienced this with a cut down club?  Would putting a heavier weight in the club head bring the weight back up to what I'm used to?

I suppose this is what I get for going the "newer is better" route...

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

To make it a more straightforward question: how much weight do I need to add to the clubhead to compensate for taking .5 inches off the butt of the shaft?

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

To make it a more straightforward question: how much weight do I need to add to the clubhead to compensate for taking .5 inches off the butt of the shaft?

From memory, .5 inches = 2 swingweight points. As a result, add 4 grams and see what happens.

I've toyed with driver swingweight recently. Mine was D3 and a friend had his driver cut to 44 and D8!!

I was consistent with the D8 driver - it softened his stiff flex to a regular on the high side - nice draws with a mid trajectory. Too low for me, but every drive was the same.

After seeing that, I pulled my driver from D3 to D5 - just enough to feel the club head throughout the swing but not affect the flex. It was more consistent. Time will tell - I'd rather not experiment, but if it leads to consistency... I received a consistent, high and boring flight.

But I found that too much swing weight can cause other issues ... that are not good.

It's a balance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

From memory, .5 inches = 2 swingweight points. As a result, add 4 grams and see what happens.

I've toyed with driver swingweight recently. Mine was D3 and a friend had his driver cut to 44 and D8!!

I was consistent with the D8 driver - it softened his stiff flex to a regular on the high side - nice draws with a mid trajectory. Too low for me, but every drive was the same.

After seeing that, I pulled my driver from D3 to D5 - just enough to feel the club head throughout the swing but not affect the flex. It was more consistent. Time will tell - I'd rather not experiment, but if it leads to consistency...

Thanks, just what I needed.  I don't know if .5" would stiffen the shaft noticeably, but I definitely don't feel the clubhead as well as I do with the 910.  With the 910 I've developed a fairly consistent 5-10 yard draw.  With the 913 it's MUCH harder to get the ball to turn over.  Most balls are either straight or straight pushes.

Originally Posted by SoundandFury

Thanks, just what I needed.  I don't know if .5" would stiffen the shaft noticeably, but I definitely don't feel the clubhead as well as I do with the 910.  With the 910 I've developed a fairly consistent 5-10 yard draw.  With the 913 it's MUCH harder to get the ball to turn over.  Most balls are either straight or straight pushes.

Spend some money and buy the Titleist 913 weight kit ... I had the 910 kit. It's fun to experiment. Better if you have access to a LM.

You will feel the club head better and it should play to flex with 4g  more ... like anything else, a little medicine is better than taking the entire bottle.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
    • I know what u mean. I found Bridgestone e5 brand new for 14.98 a dozen which is a 50% savings!!!! I wanted to shout it from the roof tops!!!! Bought six dozen...then shouted it from the roof tops. From the response, it appears no one is listening to anything golf ball related being shouted from the mountain tops as my forum entry had 0 replies. But hey!!! GO US!!!! Everybody loves golf ball deals!! :)
    • I agree with the first reply. Take some time away and give yourself an opportunity to recharge. We all have our slumps - even the tour pros. Remember, it's just a way to get some fresh air and exercise!  
    • I had a stretch like that about a month ago. For a few solid weeks (playing nearly every day), I couldn't break 80 for the life of me. I kept shooting 83, 86, 84... that sort of thing. And I think I was just trying too hard to fix everything all at once.  I started to overthink about mechanics and my confidence was low and I was tense over every shot and every putt and it all just compounded into poor scores and frustration. But then I decided to take a few days off and then followed it up with a few good sessions on the driving range where I focused on swinging smoothly and swinging within myself.  The issues I was dealing with seemed to fix themselves.  I didn't change anything about my swing, I just focused on approaching the game with "ease".  And at the moment I am playing some of the best golf in my life! Everybody goes through their slumps. Maybe just take some time away and when you return remind yourself to slow down and play within yourself. I bet that will help a lot!
    • I disagree with this. Let's take Titleist and/or Mizuno for example, the manufacturing tolerances are the same, the heads are all coming from the same factories and they all get assembled in the same building. In terms of design they probably spend much less time on the muscle back irons because there is only so much you can do with a blade design. More time goes into the design, R&D of the AP irons than the blades.
    • I was in the same place as u about 9 months ago. My home course was a very tight challenging par 66 golf course. Between the terrible hooking and the complete inability to get the golf ball in the air and the losing of 14 golf balls during one round I absolutely hit rock bottom. I was terribly depressed, angry, and heart broken. Unlike most everyone I know, golf is the only interest I possess other than my family. I own firearms but I do not hunt. I enjoy shooting and bowling over work but Im not overly passionate about either. My round on that given day concluded with me on 18 25 yards before the green aimed away from it. I retrieved the last 9 balls from my bag and hit every single one as hard as I could into the lake!!! I yelled, I cussed, I screamed, I behaved like an absolute lunatic. Broken and ashamed, I returned to my car and swore that no matter what I was done for six weeks. I had lost control and track of my priorities. I was holding golf above all else including my beautiful wife and amazing young son. Im ashamed to admit that esp publicly, but golf had consumed me. It was hell, but for six weeks; no golf channel, no golf browsing, no sand trap visits, didnt touch a golf ball or golf club. After six weeks and re prioritizing my life (getting my shit together) I returned refreshed and re discovered my love for the game. And now Ive dropped 8 strokes from my handicap and have done so while playing much longer more difficult courses. And MOST importantly Ive learned to balance golf with life and things that actually matter. Like family!! If u have reached the point u are at now, u are in danger of becoming me. RUN!!! Dont walk...RUN away from golf before its too late. For six weeks ignore all things golf at any and all costs!! Then come back and see what happens. Hopefully u rekindle your passion, if not, theres no law that says u must play golf. There comes a point where giving it up is the right move. ;) But I bet it doesnt come to that. Best of luck!!!!  P.s. Golf takes a lot of time away from the ones we love. Spend that extra time with those u cherish most. 
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

• Blog Entries