IGNORED

Half Steel Half Graphite - Opinions

Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post.

I have lots to learn about golf and I love the sport, which is why I have joined.

I currently have a set of R11 Graphites (r-flex) and I've been trying to get rid of them for steel but no luck so I have decided to reshaft them to steel.

However, with that said I would like to save some money and instead of doing all the irons I thought I would just reshaft (6-SW) to steel. Good idea, bad idea?

Originally Posted by Go4Eagle

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and this will be my first post.

I have lots to learn about golf and I love the sport, which is why I have joined.

I currently have a set of R11 Graphites (r-flex) and I've been trying to get rid of them for steel but no luck so I have decided to reshaft them to steel.

However, with that said I would like to save some money and instead of doing all the irons I thought I would just reshaft (6-SW) to steel. Good idea, bad idea?

Just out of curiosity, what's your reason for switching to steel?

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

- They are too light therefore my swing speed feels inconsistent causing distance inconsistency.

I am 26, in good shape with no injuries. Steel to me feels more accurate and controlled.

Originally Posted by Go4Eagle

- They are too light therefore my swing speed feels inconsistent causing distance inconsistency.

I am 26, in good shape with no injuries. Steel to me feels more accurate and controlled.

Fair enough.

You'll see two differences if you switch to steel: static weight of the club (the club's overall weight) and swing weight (how heavy the club feels ). If consistency is what you're after, it's probably going to be best to switch all the shafts. The difference between the stock graphite and a steel shaft could be 35 grams or more. That's a fairly significant difference.

That being said, if you don't hit your long irons very often, then it wouldn't necessarily hurt to only reshaft the short irons and wedges to begin with. If you are only going to reshaft part of the set, the shorter irons are definitely the better choice.

There may be some guys on here with mixed sets, or that have experience with them, that may be able to give you a better point of view.

Tyler Martin

If you are sticking with r-flex, reshafting to steel is a waste of money.  Flex is flex no matter if its steel or graphite.  The notion that graphite is more whippy than steel is an outdated myth.

If you are having problems with consistency, perhaps you need to be looking at uniflex or stiff instead of regular.

I used to play all r-flex and had problems with consistency too.  Switching to stiff flex fixed that problem.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Thanks for the reply, i forgot to mention in my post i was looking at a stiff shaft either dynamic gold S300 or kbs90, i was also considering regular but maybe i will stick with stiff. Im leaning towards dgs300 based on what ive heard about the kps90 flying too high, but thats not necessarly a bad thing as all my shots with graphite r flex is very high (almost too high) Currenly my swing speed with 7i(at golftown with a mizuno 800hd steel shaft) is around 80-85, yes i hit them quite light compared to my driver(105) so i want to go back to the store and re-evaluate the type of flex i need. To be honest my graphite r flex probably isnt too bad for me at this point considering my swing speed but i want a shaft that i can "grow" into and not out of.

Sell them.

Heads with graphite shafts are typically heavier than steel shafted heads to obtain a decent club balance.

You can check by taking a head off, weighing it, and checking the grams weight of a standard steel shafted head - you might also check with the manufacturer's site or call customer service.

Or use Aerotech Steel Fiber Shafts - some pros use them - they do tend to run firm to flex, but they are lower in torque than some steel - graphite core with steel outer strands - great shafts that come in various weights - I use the i80 - Kuchar uses the i95.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!