IGNORED

Right Shaft = Distance ?

Note: This thread is 6911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently up(down ?)-graded my irons from Rac TP Combo to Rac LT2's. Decided I'm not consistant enough to deal with blades, and LT2's seem to be perfect fit. The problem is, that I had my TP's shafted with Royal Precision "Project X" shafts (not very popular, but lefty plays them - had to be good, right? ). My current LT's are shafted with "regular" Royal Precision Rifle's. I noticed significant loss of distance, between 5 yds to 1 full club. W/o launch monitor / swing analyzer in the area, I can only guess...
Anybody has any ideas? Is it the shaft or the clubheads?
Ball flight didn't change much, LT's feel a bit heavier in the head, so the swingweight might be different. I don't really care for the extra distance on irons - they're forgiving enough, so that hitting 7i instead of 8i really doesn't bother me, I'm just wondering - how could I find out what's up w/o spending $200 on shaft upgrade...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I recently up(down

It could be that the heads have a different loft progression. Maybe your new iron heads are 1 or 2 degrees weaker. Do you have anyway to compare them? The confusing thing here is that your not seeing a difference in ball flight. What flex designation was your project x shafts? The project x shafts should give a bit lower launch than the rifles and if your lofts are a bit weaker on the new heads you might not see much of a difference in flight, but could be loosing yardage that way. This is just a hunch. The cheapest way to go about it would be to have the lofts checked out on your new irons to make sure they're where they should be and then make sure that your flex designation on the rifles comes close to matching your x's. Hope this helps!

There's 2 things I cant think of.....first off, check the lofts on each set of irons. I'm willing to bet that the LT2's have weaker lofts than the RAC combo's....more loft, the easier it is to get the ball in the air and less distance.

That being said, it's probably more due to your shafts. My understanding of RP's Project X shafts is that they're all frequency matched in a set ( I think RP calls it 'flighted'). I know you can order the Rifles flighted (for an upcharge) but I'm pretty sure that not all Rifles are flighted. Did you get the Rifles in a set 'flighted' from RP?

The more likely explanation....check the length of your shafts. Your old set may have been longer in each respective iron.

I'm real curious...let us know what you find out!

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Taylor Made 510TP 8.5 w/proto Aldila NV 65X
Wood: PT 15 bore thru, X100
Hybrid: 503H, 19 deg, S300Irons: 680, 3-PW, Freq. Matched X100Wedges: Black Nickel Vokey 54.10, 60.08Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Oil CanBall: ProV1x

BTW, who is that in your avatar?

What's in My Bag?

Hybrid: 503H, 19 deg, S300Irons: 680, 3-PW, Freq. Matched X100Wedges: Black Nickel Vokey 54.10, 60.08Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport Oil CanBall: ProV1x

I've got a terrific PPT slideshow that's a must for all fans of Mrs. Woods.

If you send me your email and don't mind seeing her very private tattoo(and more), I'd be happy to share it.

What's in My Bag?

The only difference in loft is the PW ( TP's had 48 vs. LT's 47 ), the swingweight went from D3's on the TP's to D2 on the LT2's. Shaft's are Royal Precision Rifle Flighted (Taylor Made OEM ), 5.5 (S) and they are 0.5" longer than the X's I had. Weight of the shafts are 125g, same as ProjectX's I had.

According to the description on the RP website the ProjectX have "a different constant taper per inch for each shaft in the set. Longer taper rate results in more energy transfer to the ball. The ball gets up faster and flattens out for a penetrating trajectory" and the Flighted Rifle "provide an exaggerated change in kick point within the club set to manipulate ball flight"

Is the swingweight move from D3 to D2 ? Is it the extra 0.5" (fitted for it), that changed something in my swing? I duno.

1) Project X will play shorter than other shafts, minimal but maybe 1/2 club shorter. The ball flight is more penetrating and tighter in dispersion.
2) Project X will also play stiffer than most other shafts as well. A Project X 5.0 will play like a 5.5 in other manu's specs.
3) Lofts. Very likely the lofts are different and can account for a 5-10 yard different is yardage.

Golfwrx.com

I've got a terrific PPT slideshow that's a must for all fans of Mrs. Woods.

I've a set of pic from a photoshoot, where you can see WAY more than her tattoo... I'm sure we're talking about the same slideshow

I heard it's not her on these pictures though. Just a very close look-a-like, but actually much more curves on that body than the real Mrs. Woods.... I still dig it though

1) Project X will play shorter than other shafts, minimal but maybe 1/2 club shorter. The ball flight is more penetrating and tighter in dispersion.

Great. I managed to prove the opposite in 2 out of 3 of your points. X's did play stiffer with much more hard feel to it... 1 and 3 - I experienced exactly the opposite....

I think it's the same slideshow.....look-a-like photo shoot or not....I'm still a fan!

What's in My Bag?

Great. I managed to prove the opposite in 2 out of 3 of your points. X's did play stiffer with much more hard feel to it... 1 and 3 - I experienced exactly the opposite....

Which Project X's did you have? 5.5? Also, the shaft lenghts were different? Longer shafts should give you a slight distance increase but, this is if you are striking it pure at both lengths. Project Xs aren't for everyone. A shaft that plays completely opposite for me is the Tour Concept. They play like graphite with better control but, I can't get use to the feel.

Golfwrx.com

Which Project X's did you have? 5.5? Also, the shaft lenghts were different? Longer shafts should give you a slight distance increase but, this is if you are striking it pure at both lengths. Project Xs aren't for everyone. A shaft that plays completely opposite for me is the Tour Concept. They play like graphite with better control but, I can't get use to the feel.

Both shafts were "S", I guess that's 6.0?

Of course I'm not comparing mishits The fact is, that I was used to hit more of a draw with the TP's, where the LT's are definitelly straight. I guess the 0.5" longer shaft changed the swing plane a bit and I'm more upright, getting through the ball straighter? That might be it, draw always adds distance. Oh well, who cares. I love the sticks

Your experience seems consistent with what I've heard from others about the Project X shafts. They play stiffer than the flex, compared to other Rifles, and they cost you a bit of distance. They seem to be perfect for the very high-swingspeed player (like, say, Mickelson) who generates plenty of distance on his own and wants to control distance and trajectory.

I tried the Project X in a couple different irons, but it isn't for me. Your experience may be the same. I'm sure you don't want to spend the money on a reshaft, but otherwise you're going to end up changing your swing to fit the club (the opposite of the ideal approach).

Where'd you buy your new irons? I'd take them back and explain the problem. Maybe they'd meet you halfway on getting the right shaft to make you a fully happy customer. Worth a try. Good luck.

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

... Project X shafts....and they cost you a bit of distance....

That's exactly the problem - I was hitting it LONGER with Project X

Note: This thread is 6911 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!