IGNORED

Club fitting ... confused

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Agree with saevel above that this doesn't make any sense.  The lofts of the clubs are only relative to each other, for one, and further, i20 lofts are right in line with a lot of clubs nowadays in their standards.  If he said the clubheads weren't right for you because they are designed to launch it high that would be one thing, but the lofts comment is goofy.

There isn't really a "setting" for lie angle.  Just like loft, to some degree (no pun intended), and length as well, all manufacturers have a different "standard" as their lie angle.  In looking at my club specs (custom fitted) versus i20 standards, I guess the answer to your first question is yes, lol.

Standard i20 lies start at 60 for the 4 iron, and then get steeper by increments of .75, .75, .75, .75, .75, .25, 0, .25, .25.

My set starts at 63, then gets steeper by increments of .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, .5, 0, 0, 0.

My mistake, his comment was probably more in line with what you are suggesting re: 'launching it high'. That said, the results on the monitor didn't appear to be any 'higher' than the trajectory I was achieving with clubs I tried. My point really was that if I'm going to work on that part of my game with coaching, surely it isn't that much of a concern regarding which Irons I eventually choose?

I have my second fitting tomorrow and I'll be focusing a lot more on my stance and ball position as the i20s were the last set I tried on Saturday and I was already feeling pretty tired after nearly 2 hours of testing clubs.I feel I'll be going into it with a lot more insight than before thanks to the input you have all given me.

Originally Posted by Extempore

My mistake, his comment was probably more in line with what you are suggesting re: 'launching it high'. That said, the results on the monitor didn't appear to be any 'higher' than the trajectory I was achieving with clubs I tried. My point really was that if I'm going to work on that part of my game with coaching, surely it isn't that much of a concern regarding which Irons I eventually choose?

I have my second fitting tomorrow and I'll be focusing a lot more on my stance and ball position as the i20s were the last set I tried on Saturday and I was already feeling pretty tired after nearly 2 hours of testing clubs.I feel I'll be going into it with a lot more insight than before thanks to the input you have all given me.

I think that you will be fine after having 2 fittings.  Consider this as well:  I am 6-3 and my new fitted clubs are roughly 1.25" longer than standard and 3* upright from standard.  I had to go play a round with my old clubs (off the rack, standard measurements) several weeks back and it was the best round I've played all year.

So I wouldn't overthink it.  Whatever you end up with, trust that it will likely do you just fine for a long time, no matter how much your swing changes.

Also understand that if your swing did happen to drastically change, you could always get the clubs adjusted.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I think that you will be fine after having 2 fittings.  Consider this as well:  I am 6-3 and my new fitted clubs are roughly 1.25" longer than standard and 3* upright from standard.  I had to go play a round with my old clubs (off the rack, standard measurements) several weeks back and it was the best round I've played all year.

So I wouldn't overthink it.  Whatever you end up with, trust that it will likely do you just fine for a long time, no matter how much your swing changes.

Also understand that if your swing did happen to drastically change, you could always get the clubs adjusted.

That's exactly what I needed to hear! lol,

I'll update this tomorrow with the results just in case anyone has been lurking with similar dilemma.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Extempore

That's exactly what I needed to hear! lol,

I'll update this tomorrow with the results just in case anyone has been lurking with similar dilemma.

Any update?

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 3915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!