IGNORED

In-store putting surfaces

Jeremy517
Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In what I'm sure will not be a surprise to many people, I've found that some in-store putting surfaces are rigged to help you make more putts while you are testing out new putters.

When looking at a hole, it is easy to anticipate where the ball will usually come from. It is most likely that the ball will be coming from the direction of another hole. Knowing that, they can just create subtle channels that help balls traveling along those paths to get close to the hole.

I was at a Golf Galaxy store, and noticed that for one shot that I was taking, if I was left of the hole, the ball would break right. If I was right of the hole, the ball would break left. I tried a few other holes and noticed the same thing. Funny how things like that work when they're trying to get you to drop up to $300 on a new putter...

I've also noticed this, which is stupid because sometimes then you just need to guess if it's good when your buying a putter, cos in the shop then end up all the same!
In My Bag:
Driver: Cobra F Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
3 Wood: Cobra F Speed 15°, Aldila NV 55g Regular
Irons: Cobra 2300 I/M 3-PW
Wedge: Cobra M 54°Putter: Yes! SophiaBall: TaylorMade TP Red

I guess I'll try that when I go to Golf Galaxy next time. It makes sense that they would do that in order to get people to buy better even if it is cheap. It's comparable to restaurants being colder to get people to eat more. Another thing about Golf Galaxy is that I think their simulators are pretty off in terms of the ball flight shown and the distances shown on the screen. Again, that may be a business thing...
My Clubs
Driver: HiBore XL 10.5*
3-Wood: SS-01
Hybrid: 503H 22*
Irons: Deep Red II TourSand Wedge: CG10 56*Lob Wedge: CG10 60*Putter: V Foil GT M6.4KBall: ProV1

Kind of the same concept as the "simulator." I think I once hit a 360 yard drive in the simulator.

I dunno what simulator you have been using, but the simulators I have used were dead on perfect in regards to distance!

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

• Administrator
I dunno what simulator you have been using, but the simulators I have used were dead on perfect in regards to distance!

Many aren't. After all, if you hit the ball 250 with your driver and a simulator tells you that all the new drivers you've hit that day will go 280, why, you're leaving 30 yards on the table if you don't buy!!!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The greens at my store arent rigged. Im a horrible putter right now and i was getting nothing near the hole. I dont think the greens have any break. As for the simulators, they go shorter than i actually hit on the course
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm talking about those big giant screen virtual reality things, not swing monitors. I'm convinced that they are adjustable and that the store can increase the distance and decrease side spin. I hit the 360 yard drive during a "long drive contest." They were pushing the new MaxFli Fire golf ball and the TM Draw driver. You had to use the ball and driver, and if you had the longest drive, you won a free "Fire" hat (woohoo!!). They definitely had the simulator juiced, because the winning drive was like 410 yards.

I'm talking about those big giant screen virtual reality things, not swing monitors. I'm convinced that they are adjustable and that the store can increase the distance and decrease side spin. I hit the 360 yard drive during a "long drive contest." They were pushing the new MaxFli Fire golf ball and the TM Draw driver. You had to use the ball and driver, and if you had the longest drive, you won a free "Fire" hat (woohoo!!). They definitely had the simulator juiced, because the winning drive was like 410 yards.

Oh definatly i was on one of those things before and i had hit a drivearound 350-360 yards, those things are definatly inaccurate. The simulators are dead on though, possibily a little shorter because like i said before they judge roll horribly.

In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Oh yea those things are a joke.

That must be what internet golfers use, no wonder every internet golfer stripes the ball 300 yards!

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

That must be what internet golfers use, no wonder every internet golfer stripes the ball 300 yards!

OH NO I HAVE BEEN FOUND OUT!

"The general knowledge in the United States about Australia is low. Everybody thinks we ride kangaroos to school. You don't ever take a kangaroo to school. You take them to the supermarket because you can put groceries in the pouch. "

- Stuart Appleby

In The Bag:Driver - 9.5° XTD Pro Graphite...

Note: This thread is 6114 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!