IGNORED

Knuckle/Power Fade Experiences

Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I gave it my best attempt this evening at the range. I hit about 30-45 mins of them non stop and was loving it.

I would just put it a little forward in my stance, open my stance kinda wide, point the face a little in between my stance line and the actual target line, and then feel like i was trying to hook the piss out of it. It would start a little left of my target and go straight, and then near the end it would just tail off right. Flying them 260-270 consistently and very consistent with the landing spot.

But then after a while I got really tired and dehydrated and just lost it. Started getting steep and pulling and slicing them. Defintiely encouraging though. Didn't expect it to be easy to master.

Originally Posted by saevel25

1) release is a bad term. If its what you feel, have at it. For me, i don't feel like i release. The club just does what it does. The only time i want to release is if i want to hit a hook.

Yes a push fade is a inside out path, with a face angle slightly open to the path. There's a few ways to hit this shot, probably the easiest would be to put the ball slightly back in the stance than normal, and open the clubface, and swing normal. This will put the ball on the inside arc of the path, and opening the clubface will allow you to hit a fade. Since the ball is back, you will hit slightly down on it, which will loose a tad more distance than if you hit up on the driver.

I used the term release as opposed to feeling like you are holding off. In this sense, releasing the club is allowing it to do what it normally does without any manipulation. That is part of the beauty of this shot because it provides more control for a power player. Lee Trevino said it best, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen."

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I used the term release as opposed to feeling like you are holding off. In this sense, releasing the club is allowing it to do what it normally does without any manipulation. That is part of the beauty of this shot because it provides more control for a power player. Lee Trevino said it best, "You can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen."

I like this definition of release.  I'm 100% in agreement with Erik that thinking of release as a very active, deliberate thing (which basically turns into actively rolling the wrists) is a really dicey move that generally doesn't lead to good, consistent results.  Unfortunately for me my natural swing, when working well, hits the ball straight or with a slight fade, so my choice between normal/natural release and the holding off feel I described above is a choice between baby fade and hard fade/slice!  Still working on the feels and mechanics that will let me have a playable draw in the bag that I'm comfortable calling upon for anything but a 50% punch hook.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3914 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!